1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album Recommendations 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. braindancer

braindancer not for long

New Yo La Tengo out today - There's a Riot Going On.... mid-way through my first listen and I'm loving it so far...

2. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

and playing the Picture House Social on May 3 too. Marvellous.

3. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I know what you mean - actually, most new music that disappoints me these days does it exactly like that: it seems to have all the right ingredients, I start off listening thinking 'this should be good', but then it just doesn't quite do it for me.

I don't think it's just me being old and jaded because there's plenty of other stuff out there that sounds new and exciting to me - it's just that at the same time, there also seems to be more and more that doesn't.

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  4. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Looking forward to this. She's been using the Lolina name for a while now - her Live in Paris album was pretty good from a couple of years back

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  5. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Ooh, thank you for the notification. I usually like their stuff.

6. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Andrew Liles out of Nurse With Wound is releasing an album of 50, 50 minute songs to mark his 50th birthday. Each is a heavily re-worked cover of the songs that were number 1 on his birthday in each year, with vox by the great and the good of the underground noise scene. Not sure who is going to get through them all, but it's a noble concept.

7. unrepentant85

unrepentant85 Dílis d'ar nOidreacht

A new Decemberists album came out yesterday, I’ll Be Your Girl. Really enjoyed my first listen.

8. stavros

cupcaKke's Ephorize came out in January, in the US at least. A bit of crunk, a bit of ghetto-tech, and could possibly have a parental-advisory sticker on it.

rutabowa likes this.
  9. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

So apparently Stone Temple Pilots have a new singer (who came second in American X-Factor Idol or something) and a new album out - and it's not actually that bad. :eek:

10. Buddy Bradley

Also, I think I mentioned this before but it deserves to be mentioned again after a few more listens - Songs of Praise by Shame is pretty awesome:

billy_bob likes this.
  11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

this is awesome I love it

12. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

The Ex - 27 Passports, out last week. Touring June, my favourite live band of the past few years.

13. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

The "final" unreleased Jimi Hendrix material is out - mainly Jimi smashing up blues tracks, a couple of incomplete bits/rough ideas + a cool track with Stephen Stills from Crosby, Stills, Nash on lead vocal. Thumbs>
    Highlight for me the solo on Train Coming

14. billy_bob

Holy Motors: Slow Sundown.

This is quite good, even if it does sound a bit like an Eastern European goth band who've listened to Knocking on Heaven's Door a few too many times.

The39thStep likes this.
  15. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Never heard of Young Jesus before but I've been caning their new album to death after reading about it on the Norman Records site.

A big dollop of Slint, a smattering of Codeine, a lug of Built to Spill and a spoonful of post-rock (to use that silly expression). Nothing particularly new but it's definitely ticking my boxes. Very varied album but compelling from start to finish.

16. stavros

I played this today whilst working at home, and it sounded wonderful.

braindancer likes this.
  17. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Just got tickets for an acoustic show in Brighton in the summer :)

stavros likes this.
  18. Buddy Bradley

November 2017, according to Spotify. Doesn't qualify.

19. braindancer

braindancer not for long

That was the digital release! Physical release in Feb this year.... So borderline for qualifying!

20. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

If I remember rightly, the UAOTY organiser operates a Dont Ask, Dont Tell policy...

21. billy_bob

The Skull Defekts, by The Skull Defekts

I thought I'd read about this one on this thread, but now I can't see it so I'm not sure where - probably Pitchfork or Quietus raved about it. I'm really enjoying it - although there's something about it that makes you think it's going to flip the fuck out into ear-bleeding terror ... any ... second ... now ... but as often as not, it doesn't. Maybe that's frustrating in a good way...

ouchmonkey likes this.
  22. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

possibly they saved the noise for this 'un
    two skull defekts and a brainbomb
    ugly relentless unforgiving grind
    awesome

billy_bob likes this.
  23. billy_bob

:cool: Very awesome. Reminds me of 90s noise like Loop, Hair and Skin Trading Co etc.

24. Buddy Bradley

3 months in, what's everyone's favourite 2018 album so far? Mine is probably a tie between Screaming Females and Tune-Yards.

25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

New Beach House LP on the way, and on the evidence of this it'll be a bit less floaty and a bit more shoegazey than previous records:

dfm and mwgdrwg like this.
  26. stavros

The new-ish Somatic Responses album is pretty good. You simply have to like any track called Woggle Exciter.

27. billy_bob

Or be deeply concerned about it...

stavros and belboid like this.
  28. copliker

copliker ...

Hot Snakes new rekkid.

billy_bob and mojo pixy like this.
  29. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

First listen - pretty bloody good. Some of the minute long stuff doesn't work - some of it works bloody well. Musically it's all variations on a theme and sometimes the theme comes nearer to trumpton than the twangy sleaze vibe they are after (which is a good thing btw). 19 songs on a debut is pretty rare and confident. The version of country sleaze isn't as anywhere near good as the single version.

30. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Enjoying this new Trappist Afterland LP - very nicely done freakfolk stuff. You can almost smell the patchouli