Album Recommendations 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

cheers, will give this a go - enjoyed the Fire! Orchestra album from a couple of years ago.

2. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Sarah Davachi released two albums this year, both of which are very good and will probably make my year-end top 10. You'd probably call it minimalist modern classical if you like categories. Or instrumental tracks of ineffable sadness. I'll be honest in that both albums contain the odd clunker that doesn't quite work. Having said that, the overall humdinger/clunker ratio is more than healthy for both albums. Might take a few plays before the magic really seeps in...

Let Night Come On Bells End The Day

Gave in Rest:

sunnysidedown likes this.
  3. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

Casual Observer have you heard Caterina Barbieri? Well worth checking out if you’ve not heard her.

Ive been really enjoying the recent Christian Vogel album (the Ballad of Agnete and the Merman) and M.Geddes Gengras’ new one (Last Pipe).

4. Casual Observer

The Caterina Barbieri is a bit too upbeat and rhythmic for me. M.Geddes Gengras is probably nearer to what I go for with this sort of stuff - slowly undulating and with a whiff of sadness about it. After your comment on the 1978 thread, have also dug out the ATV box set from a couple of years ago to have another listen to The Image Has Cracked.

5. sunnysidedown

Yes she gets a bit bonkers rhythmic, a little less so on her latest.

M.geddes other release this year (Hawaiki tapes) has some nice moments too.

6. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Apparently I never recommended The Beths debut album in this thread, which is an oversight because it's excellent, really great pop-punk-rock from New Zealand:

7. killer b

Picked up the new LP by Baltimore duo WUME at the weekend - it isn't out for a week or so, but there's a couple of taster tracks on bandcamp - the rest of the LP is very nice - cosmische electronics with motoring live drums and monotone vox. Shades of the berlin school, Laurie Anderson, etc etc.

8. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Been listening to Accü debut album after falling in love with her song "Am Ser" after hearing it on the radio. I'm enjoying the album so far a lot, it's dreamy psychedelic electronica. If, like me, you like Gwenno, Cate le Bon etc you'll like this.
    Echo The Red by Accu

dfm likes this.
  9. killer b

Jeffrey Lewis just posted this picture on facebook. Whoop!

[​IMG]

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

This tune by powers pleasant from last week is easy tune of the year, im guessing an album comes soon

11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

And there is def a new Yung Lean album dropping this friday, the preview track is nice and creepy for halloween, vid has american horror story freakshow vibes mixed with um scandinavia

12. May Kasahara

May Kasahara thoughts start with a laser sound

Soccer Mommy's album (Clean) is rather good, if you like melodic 90s-esque introvert indie. Which I do.

dfm and Buddy Bradley like this.
  13. Casual Observer

I'm liking this. It's the debut album from an Icelandic woman who lives in Berlin. The album features nothing but theremin and very occasional voice. The theremin is put through a load of pedals/software and doesn't really sound like a theremin. Has a church-like, mildly spooky feel about it. Different and enchanting.

Riklet, ouchmonkey, Favelado and 2 others like this.
  14. sunnysidedown

^I'm liking that, will check out the album.

Have you heard the new William Basinski & Lawrence English album? ‎Selva Oscura, well worth a listen.

15. Casual Observer

Certainly have. Am a longtime fan of William Basinski and have loads of his stuff.

16. sunnysidedown

yeah i got a bit obsessed for a while, the new one definitely feels more LE than Basinski, although I'm sure that may change with repeated listens.

17. killer b

18. Buddy Bradley

Yeah, been listening to that a fair bit this year.

May Kasahara likes this.
  19. killer b

This Snow Palms LP on Village Green Records is lovely - loads of mallet instruments, a bit of guitar. Minimalism with some proggy bits.

(I've just seen it's from late last year... still. )

Origin and Echo | Village Green

20. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

WOW

21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

this song is incroyable, will have to give this album a listen

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I like this...Mellow Lou

23. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i just got led on to this song after that, which is one of the best songs I ever heard, I'd never heard it before but keep having it on over and over

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  24. May Kasahara

Still totally obsessed with the Slow Mass album...nothing's knocked it off my top spot yet.

25. Buddy Bradley

Daughters' new album, You Won't Get What You Want, just got a 10/10 from Fantano - if you're a Swans type of person, give it a listen:

billy_bob and ouchmonkey like this.
  26. May Kasahara

Quite enjoying the Our Girl album.

27. May Kasahara

On further listens, I really really love this album :)

28. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

Kelly Moran's Ultraviolet is very good.

29. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Oh, yes. That's jumped straight into the 2018 top 5. Or 3.

30. killer b

There's a new Bongripper album out and it's really heavy.

hash tag likes this.