Album Recommendations 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

I'm cheating as this album came out in 2016 but more people need to hear it so I'm giving it a plug here. The artist's name is Caton Diab and this, his debut album, was called No Perfect Wave. You'd have to put somewhere in the minimalist/modern classical/ambient/drone category but that doesn't really give you an idea of what you're in for. Absolutely massive weaves of bowed guitar, occasional trumpet and tape manipulation are what's on offer. Not a duff track on here but the standout is Pale Ink (below) - reminds me of parts of the German Oak LP or maybe the VU having a heavily tranquilised crack at Venus In Furs. Caton Diab released a second album this year (Exit Rumination) which is very good also, but it's No Perfect Wave that you need to start with.

billy_bob and Red Cat like this.
  2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Yes. Had the last one on on belboid's list last year, seemingly me and ye alone. New one is great too.

3. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'll give it a go, as it sound like something I might like.

4. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

Listening to this now, I really like it, the sense of expanse and geographical space is very strong, almost multi-sensory, if that makes sense.

5. stavros

6. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

I'm enjoying this album from Sim Hutchins atm - dubwise techno noisy stuff.

He's a new EP that's a bit more dancefloor friendly out too, also very good - Like Herding Cats off this is sweet as.

7. killer b

This too: GG Alan Partridge - a girl punk band so you can't help listing the usual slits / riot grrl type influences... real good though.

May Kasahara and Threshers_Flail like this.
  8. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Awful band name though.
    Best album of 2018 so far for me.

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  9. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Yes!

10. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

New Mogwai album out today:

Winot, Sweet FA and belboid like this.
  11. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Also surprise Eminem album came out last night - it's a country mile better than last year's Revival, a real return to form (if you're into that sort of thing, of course).

12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I'm enjoying 'I Need To Start A Garden' by Hayley Heynderickx, from March this year.

13. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

This is just perfect Saturday morning listening, got dubby/funky Sun Ra vibes.

Seeing him live as well. :cool:

14. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I'm not really sure what the fuck's going on here, but it's great.

stavros likes this.
  15. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Just caught up with the last few pages of this thread after a while without time to do so. This has been a good year, so far.

One late 2017 release which I don't remember last year's thread mentioning (they're touring UK at the moment so it's still timely):

Prettiest Eyes, Pools.

Despite the off-putting fact that they seem to be named after a Beautiful South song, they describe themselves as 'Puertorican/Mexican Synth-Punk' and sound a bit like early Chrome.

16. killer b

Richard Dawson has a new thing out shortly, with his band Hen Ogledd. I saw Hen Ogledd a few years ago and they were nothing like this then... the lead track is wicked, kind of prog-disco-new wave. I love it.

Threshers_Flail and ouchmonkey like this.
  17. dialectician

dialectician https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AxoqxhwmY8

That's referencing julius eastman innit.

18. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Double Negative now out and I'm having a listen on Spotters.

First impressions are that it's an absolute stunner of an album :cool::thumbs:

May Kasahara and BassJunkie like this.
  19. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Ooh, there’s a new Low album out. Double Negative, which includes the ‘brightest pop song of Low’s career‘ apparently

20. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I'm the U75 cheerleader for the man, and the third instalment is no exception:

Saw him the other day at RNCM, was great.

21. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

there was a big feature interview with them in the Wire not long ago which was worth a read. it made it sound like the album was going to be pretty dark and intense rather than poppy!

belboid likes this.
  22. TruXta

TruXta tired

Loving this album. The opener is giving me all sorts of feelings.

23. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I don't think anyone has mentioned Ezra Furman's "trans angelic upstarts" album from earlier this year. It isn't my usual thing, but something about it is grabbing me having just put it on randomly this evening... it is def quite an achievement.

24. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

The record's good. But he really comes into his own live. I've seen him a couple of times this year - some of my gig highlights of 2018.

25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I bet.... Sounds like it could be pretty special. It appears he wont visit the UK for a while now tho.

26. killer b

annoying, he played my local a couple of years ago - I didn't go because I didn't like his name. :facepalm:

27. killer b

I think maybe I thought he was George Ezra. Who tbh I'd probably go and see if he played my local now too, Shotgun is a solid gold banger.

Sweet FA likes this.
  28. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

yeh i thought from the name it was just going to be some identikit singer songwriter bank advert type thing... it is more like peak bruce springsteen cum electro pop taylor swift, or david bowie i guess. I dunno how long it will stick with me though.

29. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

That was a mistake! Deffo in the top three live acts I've seen this year.

30. stavros

Mudhoney have a new one out, and I read a good review of it.