Alan Hull - Geordie songwriter, activist and all round decent bloke

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jan 27, 2016.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Although he seems cursed to be remembered forever by that stomach churning version of Fog On The Tyne by the much troubled Gazza, there's a lot in his back catalogue that stands up today.

An old school labour man and no stranger to playing benefits for striking or redundant miners and shipyard workers, his songs came from the heart and there's some crackers in there too.

[​IMG]

OBITUARY: Alan Hull

Costello plays tribute

2. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Pogo Suppression System Installed....

Thanks editor, Alan Hull was a brilliant songwriter, musician and good bloke.
    Loved a lot of his work and spent ages learning most of it.
    Once had the good fortune to bump into him on Doncaster station and was impressed how easy going and friendly he was to a couple of spotty teenagers. Who were more than a bit awe struck to meet him.
    He deserved far greater acknowledgment and his sudden early death was a shock to many of his fans.

ska invita, editor and Celyn like this.
  3. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Pogo Suppression System Installed....

One of my favourites.

spliff likes this.
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Alan Hull did some great stuff. Pipedream and Statues and Liberties are both superb solo albums, and I don't mind some of Lindisfarne's stuff either. 'Lady Eleanor' is a cracking song for starters. :cool:

Sprocket. and editor like this.
  5. spliff

spliff New Member

I loved Pipedream, from the cover inwards it was a gem. ;)
    A solid man indeed!

(Could I add a small shout for Alan Price another Geordie gem, still gigging in Barnes)

Sprocket. and editor like this.
  6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Yes, this was a good man. Having first listen to pipedream in ages tonight.

editor and Sprocket. like this.
  7. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Never seen this thread before :(
    And I've never seen Lindisfarne either :mad: :( , despite being a festivalgoer by profession ;)
    And a good fan of their songs :cool:

However .... what a great obituary above.
    That's prompted me to properly check out their tunes again online and onTube etc. :) ..... very very soon promise!

That's a good prompt :)