1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Quds day....

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by J.C.Decaux, Jun 8, 2017.

1. J.C.Decaux

J.C.Decaux Falasteen hurra!!! Banned

2. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

“Israel, the enemy of mankind, the enemy of humanity…”
    Hezbollah
    Iranian Islamism

No thanks

3. J.C.Decaux

^^^^^^^^^^^ Really? That isn't what gaWjuzz George Galloway said that he (Ahmadinejad) stated.

BTW Iranian Islam (Shia) are fighting the Saudi bankrolled Wahabis in Syria and Iraq.

Hope you're not a propagandist.:facepalm:

4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

5. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430

Danny.

Have you posted a link to 'The Satanic Verses'? If yes, why?

6. danny la rouge

It's a great book and everyone should read it. :thumbs:

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. Beats & Pieces

Have you read it?

8. danny la rouge

Yes. It's everyone's duty so to do.

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. Beats & Pieces

Why? And why do you consider it to be a great book?

10. danny la rouge

I consider it to be the watershed between external and internal censorship.

IN THE SHADOW OF THE FATWA

The39thStep likes this.
  11. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Moor's Last Sigh is the better book

danny la rouge likes this.
  12. danny la rouge

As is Midnight's Children. But the Satanic Verses is more important. Culturally and socially significant.

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I don't know if you read Ian M Banks but in his 'The State of The Art' there's a short about this, non sci fi. In some ways it reads like an argument he was having with himself

here: Iain M. Banks - The State of the Art v1.0 : Scanned by HugHug

its the short called 'piece' and it did make me think some

14. danny la rouge

I'll have a look. I had a lot of time for Banks. Never got into his M stuff, but he was a humane and thoughtful writer.

Sweet FA and DotCommunist like this.
  15. Beats & Pieces

This is a great sounding statement, but what does it actually mean to you? Ordinarily your opinions are highly considered and thought out - that is why I'm interested in your opinion of the novel - why you feel it resonanted, why it was so important personally?

16. J.C.Decaux

Iranian forces are fighting to keep the butcher Assad in power.

Yes, i get that, along with Russia as well as Erdogan, they're just populist and authoritarian leaders.
    Tho tbh, the strategy for Putin was loud and very clear from the off, support the Assad regime and from there build up a challenge to the Western dominance over not only the ME, but the geopolitical world order.

Republic of Iran all need to be toppled.

Tbh, i personally would like to see Iran as secular nationalist. (al-Qawmiyya al-`arabiyya)
    The Islamic State of Iran was imposed when the western puppet Shah was overthrown.

Khomeini's crocodile tears for Palestine can go to hell, which, if it, existed would be where he was roasting.

I'm open minded, i know that most of the majority of arabs say that the Palestinians sold out themselves, it's their own fault, and that the radical and extreime Muslims, (obv- those from the Gulf States) don't give a flying fig about Palestine.

But anyhow, could you enlighten me and put me wise as to the reason you mention Khomeini's croc tears?
    Have you got this from a credible source?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  17. J.C.Decaux

Just done a quick google search and came up with this..............

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said on Feb. 21 that supporting the Palestinian resistance is a duty for all Muslims, because it has succeeded in undermining Israeli efforts against the Palestinians. He added that Iran's stance is based on principle and does not favor one Palestinian faction over the other, as demonstrated in Tehran's foreign diplomatic discourse and its financial and military support of Palestinian factions.

Read more: Why Palestinians have lost faith in Iran

18. J.C.Decaux

Is it up there with 'Pawns in the game'?

19. J.C.Decaux

Dont stop there, i'm all ear's................................

20. danny la rouge

On the contrary, I don't think there's any evidence of that at all.

bimble likes this.
  21. J.C.Decaux

^^^ care to elaborate?

22. J.C.Decaux

it was the Saudi clerics who were planning a trial of Rushdie in absentia, anyhoo.

With regards to his Fatwa, let us first understand what other's have to say..............

Jimmy Carter US president, 1977-81
    "Rushdie's book is a direct insult to those millions of Moslems whose sacred beliefs have been violated ... The death sentence proclaimed by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, however, was an abhorrent response. It is our duty to condemn the threat of murder [but] we should be sensitive to the concern and anger that prevails even among the more moderate Muslims."

John Le Carre author
    "Again and again, it has been within his [Rushdie's] power to save the faces of his publishers and, with dignity, withdraw his book until a calmer time has come ... It seems to me he has nothing more to prove except his own insensitivity."

Roald Dahl author
    "[Rushdie] knew exactly what he was doing and cannot plead otherwise.This kind of sensationalism does indeed get an indifferent book on to the top of the bestseller list - but to my mind it is a cheap way of doing it.

Sir Geoffrey Howe foreign secretary, 1983-89
    The British government, the British people, do not have any affection for the book ... It compares Britain with Hitler's Germany. We do not like that any more than the people of the Muslim faith like the attacks on their faith contained in the book. So we are not sponsoring the book. What we are sponsoring is the right of people to speak freely, to publish freely."

likesfish likes this.
  23. J.C.Decaux

24. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

If you're 'all ears' try reading the end of your own bloody quotes you joker.

25. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

None of who I couldn't give a toss about. No blasphemy laws here.

26. danny la rouge

Are these particular heroes of yours?

27. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

I've not read The Satanic Verses - although I have downloaded the .PDF provided by dlr and will be reading it on my phone during spare moments - so I took a goosy at the Wiki article on the controversy, and if the elements causing offence that I read of were at all representative, then I fail to see what the fuss is about.

Although maybe my perspective is limited by being a godless infidel animal.

28. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie we want snow! we want snow! we want snow!

A lot of tension outside the US Embassy apparently - Al Quds & Zionists.

29. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I actually went along to this earlier but they hadn't set off by quarter past four and tbh I just thought "fuck this it's too hot to be standing around waiting to take pictures".

I did see half a dozen counter protestors heading towards Grosvenor Square while I was checking the route out—not trad EDL types, young people, mixed race and gender, with Israeli flags and a sign saying something about sacking the Mayor. I note this is a thing on RW Twitter, that Khan hasn't banned it with the implication that it's because it's he's soft on terrorism because he's a Muslim.

frogwoman likes this.
  30. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

yeah it'll be a clusterfuck, i think you chose wisely to go do something else in this weather. Some of the fuss stems I think from the fact that some of those organising the march were encouraging people to bring hezbollah flags.