Air quality in Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Bob, May 16, 2008.

1. Bob

Bob Rusesabagina for a nobel

I've just stumbled across the London Air Quality network which gives daily updates on air quality at lots of sampling points in London.

There's a sampling point by the Academy on Brixton road - which shows moderate air pollution yesterday (doesn't sound too serious). The rest of London had low air pollution though!

Location info here:
    http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/publicdetails.asp?region=0&site=LB4&details=location&mapview=all&la_id=&network=All

And air quality info here:
    http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/publicbulletin.asp?region=0&bulletin=hourly&site=LB4&bulletindate=16/05/2008%2011:00:00&postcode=&level=All

There are some other sampling points nearby - Loughborough Junction & Vauxhall....

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I'm sure I read a report recently that said Brixton/Streatham Hill were the most polluted roads in London

3. Minnie_the_Minx

4. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

Could it be particularly bad at the moment because of all the traffic stuck in the single lane 'improvement works'?

5. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I always thought Brixton was a bit crap for that. My simple theory is that it is at the bottom of a four-mile-long hill and bad air tends to hang around. Then again that doesn;t explain why it's not worse than central london.

I work in Brixton and live in Palace and do notice the difference.

6. Minnie_the_Minx

No, I doubt it. The report I read was some time last year and I've heard talk about the air quality in the area (particularly Streatham) for years and years

7. metalguru

metalguru guilty bystander

Is there an app or website that gives good quality easy-to-understand localised air quality information? I feel from the tightness in my chest that it must have been poor quality air day in London today.

I was walking earlier alongside the Cromwell Road's mega-monstrous section by West Kensington/Earls Court/Gloucester Ave and could feel the 'roughness' of the air in my throat.

8. editor

editor Forked with electrons

London Air (@LondonAir) on Twitter

London Air Quality Network :: Welcome to the London Air Quality Network ยป Statistics Maps

But. alas

Brixton air pollution monitor is switched off again

metalguru likes this.