Air quality in Brixton and Brixton Road

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Bob, May 16, 2008.

1. Bob

Bob Rusesabagina for a nobel

I've just stumbled across the London Air Quality network which gives daily updates on air quality at lots of sampling points in London.

There's a sampling point by the Academy on Brixton road - which shows moderate air pollution yesterday (doesn't sound too serious). The rest of London had low air pollution though!

Location info here:
    http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/publicdetails.asp?region=0&site=LB4&details=location&mapview=all&la_id=&network=All

And air quality info here:
    http://www.londonair.org.uk/london/asp/publicbulletin.asp?region=0&bulletin=hourly&site=LB4&bulletindate=16/05/2008%2011:00:00&postcode=&level=All

There are some other sampling points nearby - Loughborough Junction & Vauxhall....

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I'm sure I read a report recently that said Brixton/Streatham Hill were the most polluted roads in London

3. Minnie_the_Minx

4. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

Could it be particularly bad at the moment because of all the traffic stuck in the single lane 'improvement works'?

5. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I always thought Brixton was a bit crap for that. My simple theory is that it is at the bottom of a four-mile-long hill and bad air tends to hang around. Then again that doesn;t explain why it's not worse than central london.

I work in Brixton and live in Palace and do notice the difference.

6. Minnie_the_Minx

No, I doubt it. The report I read was some time last year and I've heard talk about the air quality in the area (particularly Streatham) for years and years

7. editor

editor hiraethified

This is shocking - the road has suffered unacceptable levels of pollution for years now and it's not getting any better:
    http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2015/01/...eu-pollution-limit-for-all-of-2015-this-week/

8. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Yep - Having lived by that road for about 15yrs I was disturbed to read that. Didn't read in detail but from a quick glance it looked like Brixton Road is 40% worse than Oxford street which was the headline story?

9. editor

editor hiraethified

The press focused on sexier Oxford Street, but Brixton Road was the most polluted in terms of NO2 levels last year by a considerable factor - and it was the same story in 2010.

Greebo likes this.
  10. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

what can we do?

Greebo likes this.
  11. Rushy

Breathe less.

Miss-Shelf and leanderman like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

Lobby more. Write about it. Publicise it.

leanderman likes this.
  13. story

story Changing the facts

But in any case, what can be done about it?

Can traffic be limited or reduced on this street? It's a major through route. Obviously the larger issue is vehicles, fuel, particulates etc. but that's a larger policy issue.

Greebo likes this.
  14. story

story Changing the facts

What would we be asking for though?

Where would the traffic go?

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  15. leanderman

I'd impose some sanctions on private cars.

plurker likes this.
  16. Rushy

That would be local and not help. Issue is main arterial route for lorries and busses (and non local cars).

plurker and Greebo like this.
  17. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Put up wires and convert all buses to trolley buses.

18. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

IIRC diesel engines produce a lot more NO2 than petrol engines (with catalytic converters), and there's an awful lot of buses on Brixton Road.

I suggest replacing them with a tram system. Maybe one like this:

[​IMG]

;)

friendofdorothy and Smick like this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

It needs a whole load of coordinated strategies, but maybe banning big diesel lorries in peak hours (where they're forced to go slowly because of traffic) or insisting that the most polluting vehicles be retrofitted with filters might help? Either way it is unacceptable that Brixtonites should be forced to inhale such health threatening fumes every day.

innit and Greebo like this.
  20. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

re-installing tram lines would be incredibly disruptive. You have to re-route utilities because the point loads from trams are much higher than regular traffic. They'd also have to share space with buses, thus removing the scheduling benefits.

Trolley buses are the answer. Most buses in London are already Hybrids, so should be convertable to electric operation. They could even keep their diesel engines for driving "off the wires"

Greebo likes this.
  21. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Greebo likes this.
  22. leanderman

I have the impression that most of the traffic is private cars, which slow down vehicles that provide more utility: buses, lorries, vans and taxis.

Or is it the case that lorries produce the bulk of these pollutants?

23. editor

editor hiraethified

Diesel lorries, vans and buses are the real BaD BoyZ, with the situation made worse by the congestion caused by private cars.

Greebo likes this.
  24. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

i would guess that a good percentage of the private cars on the road at rush hour are doing school runs
    this could easily be stopped by making kids go to the nearest school to their house

editor likes this.
  25. cuppa tee

How do you identify private cars ?

26. steeeve

steeeve Well-Known Member

buses seem the worst to me especially when blocking the road next to the station while trying to overtake each other.

Even the new Routemasters fail the ultra low emission zone criteria

Greebo and leanderman like this.
  27. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Because they'll be the ones saluting the captain cars.

Manter, SWB, Greebo and 4 others like this.
  28. leanderman

No taxi stamp or company logos etc. Not likely to be precise.

In ten minutes outside Olive Morris house today, most of the traffic (80%?) was private cars, by my rough definition.

29. cuppa tee

Was this around school run time ?
    Was there congestion ?

Greebo likes this.
  30. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

IIRC there's a scheme in place to convert all London Transport buses to zero or ultra-low emissions, but I don't know what the time scale is for completion... The sooner the better, that's for sure.