AI-Powered Psychopath

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Archimage, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Archimage

Archimage Kat Knapper

We present you Norman, world's first psychopath AI. Norman is born from the fact that the data that is used to teach a machine learning algorithm can significantly influence its behavior. So when people talk about AI algorithms being biased and unfair, the culprit is often not the algorithm itself, but the biased data that was fed to it. The same method can see very different things in an image, even sick things, if trained on the wrong (or, the right!) data set. Norman suffered from extended exposure to the darkest corners of Reddit, and represents a case study on the dangers of Artificial Intelligence gone wrong when biased data is used in machine learning algorithms.

Norman is an AI that is trained to perform image captioning; a popular deep learning method of generating a textual description of an image. We trained Norman on image captions from an infamous subreddit (the name is redacted due to its graphic content) that is dedicated to document and observe the disturbing reality of death. Then, we compared Norman's responses with a standard image captioning neural network (trained on MSCOCO dataset) on Rorschach inkblots; a test that is used to detect underlying thought disorders.

Note: Due to the ethical concerns, we only introduced bias in terms of image captions from the subreddit which are later matched with randomly generated inkblots (therefore, no image of a real person dying was utilized in this experiment).

Norman by MIT Media Lab

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

i'm guessing the subreddit is /r/watchpeopledie

I don't think this is a "psychopath AI".

Imagine if your only experience of anything was death. You'd only have death as a reference point. Does that make you a psychopath?

No.

kabbes likes this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I'm actually more upset that there is a Reddit dedicated to that then they trained an AI on it. :(

Im kinda hoping there is someone watching the people who post there.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

there's a bot for that

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

They're not actually watching people die, as in live. It's the same as those gore sites that were around years ago like rotten.com or even the horrible parts of liveleak - camera footage of electrocutions, bombings etc.

Macabre stuff, but I don't think it makes someone a psychopath to read or even post there.

6. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Indeed, the whole conceptual framework of human consciousness doesn’t apply to AI at all. I don’t know what psychopathy means in this context. It certainly doesn’t (in this or any other context) mean “obsessed with death”. But AI has no intentionality, let alone an ability to conceptualise that of another entity and use it to further its own ends, so the very concept just is a non-starter.

Fez909 and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I think there's other reddit subs to be more concerned about than that unfortunately.

8. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

Hey, let's build a psychopath AI...sounds like a great idea for an 80s movie.