After free experiment, the once legendary NME mag is now dead

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jul 6, 2015.

1. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Speaking of NME covers, as posted on the Breakfast thread I am highly suspicious of the new 10p coins true design inspiration....

E10p.jpeg

Maggot, krtek a houby and Voley like this.
  2. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Not sure if I've ever played them tbh, I haven't had a turntable for decades, really must do something about that. I've got a couple of flexidisks too which are 33 1/3. Not sure where they came from, but they don't say NME on them.

3. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

It was in Macclesfield as I remember

4. Idris2002

Idris2002 Christmas eve, you know?

I remember that one!

5. Idris2002

The music press's glamourisation of drugs did its fair share of damage, IMO.

krtek a houby and Slo-mo like this.
  6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Pretty much. Afaik, HP didn't really follow that route, although I do remember seeing Mr Stokes smoking a rather funky cigarette at Feile many years ago.

HP in the 80s had some pretty intense features/articles on the heroin problem in Dublin at the time. Pretty grim and def not glamorousing at all.

Slo-mo likes this.
  7. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Yes I agree. If you've made a million in the music biz, spunking a few grand on cocaine is no big loss, and you've got enough to pay for rehab and a few quid left over to start afresh when you come to your senses.

If you are a young fan on the dole daft enough to copy your hero from the music press you'll soon be stealing to fund your habit and the only rehab you'll get is in prison and you'll have fuck all when you get out except a criminal record which bars you from many jobs.
    Of course if the drugs kill you it matters not if you are a rich rock star or the poor fan.

krtek a houby likes this.
  8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

And you'd have to join New Model Army. Don't do it kidz!

Sprocket. and The39thStep like this.
  9. krtek a houby

Reminds me of the infamous butthole surfers gig where both NME and MM journos attended. One write up was the journo taking a wild trip and his experiences on the night & the other was the sober journo looking on in horror as his opposite number curled up into a foetal position apparently having a bad trip. It was fascinating to read but both pieces existed in a tiny universe all of their own making. If that makes any sense.

I can't say it ever appealed to me. The excess, that is. The "stars" and their music media acolytes and antics seemed very far removed from my life.

Slo-mo likes this.
  10. Idris2002

If you're out of luck, or you're out of work. . .

Remember Richey Manic's self-mutilation being a big story in NME? That seems nothing but exploitative, in hindsight.

Slo-mo and krtek a houby like this.
  11. krtek a houby

Fuck, yeah. The Manics were absolute fodder for both NME and MM. I remember Richey saying something about all men want to shag teenage girls and there was a meltdown on one of the letters pages! I like to think he was trolling (back in the day)...

The 4 real stuff was (in hindsight, as you say) such a warning there. But was it drugs or mental health issues that plagued the lad? Still tragic story all these years later.

Slo-mo likes this.
  12. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Some music journo tweeted that the staff weren't told it was the last issue until after it was sent for printing.

Maggot, krtek a houby and Slo-mo like this.
  13. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

It certainly looks that way.

14. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

The Lone Groover is sadly missed

Sprocket. likes this.
  15. krtek a houby

Often the way. Know of people turning up for work at a firm we dealt with on a regular basis, and we knew they were fucked before they did. Awful. Driver turned up one morning asking if there was anthing for collection & I was so angry and saddened. Wasn't allowed say that his small company had just gone down the pan :mad:

Bumped into him later that night and apologised for not being able to say what was what. He was grand with it but I would have been raging.

Slo-mo likes this.
  16. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

The great lyric, 'Mucho, mucho,mucho marvey, got me a gal in Yugoslavi' will live forever!
    C3C3467D-64AA-4D40-A71E-A2D9373D64A8.jpeg

Dr. Furface and The39thStep like this.
  17. Idris2002

I might say the same myself.

Sprocket. likes this.
  18. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Same here. I was a bit confused.

Slo-mo likes this.
  19. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

"Some dudes don't know a rut from a groove!" The abasement tapes. :cool:

Sprocket. likes this.
  20. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

33rpm 7" arent that uncommon really.. they can fit about 7 mins on.

The nme one with the Steinski track on used to pop up EVERYWHERE, in charity shops etc. It is crazy to think of a mag coming with a free record now. I dont even know if any current vinyl factory could deal with a pressing of that size!

Slo-mo likes this.
  21. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Petty Vagrant.

I remember sellotaping a two pence coin onto the centre of the the Exile on Main Street freebie to stop it slipping.
    I have still got a freebie 12’’ vinyl album from Sounds it has a wide spectrum on it, from Doctors of Madness :) to Easy Street :facepalm:

22. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Sprocket, cool profile pic, dude. Mucho marvey!

Sprocket. likes this.
  23. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

That was the first Steinski track to get any kind of non-bootleg release in the UK. The NME wasn't in any sense a hip hop paper so I guess it probably wasn't one for their core audience.

Looking through my own vinyl yesterday and then browsing online I don't see too many actual NME freebie 7" singles as compared to cassettes. I have a lot more 7" vinyl from Record Mirror.