1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After free experiment, the once legendary NME mag is now dead

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jul 6, 2015.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

the bottom half says: MUSIC/FILM/STYLE
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've now picked up two copies. Both are utter wank. Vacuous mainstream shite that has zero connection with the tradition and heritage of the NME.
  3. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

My missus had it the other day. I enjoyed the Taylor Swift article:D
  4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

It was going downhill before Steve Sutherland left, but it got even worse when Conor McNicholas took over in 2002.
  5. stethoscope

stethoscope without the technical flim flam

I picked one up today - it's now just a rather bland freebie 'lifestyle' mag.
    Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

back in the day sounds was the best music paper, followed by mm, with the nme a poor third, famed for its pretentious vacuous wank. tell you what, i'll have a look at my auld copies later and see what i can dig up.
    William of Walworth and Badgers like this.
  8. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

I pick it up from Moorgate on the way home quite often. We have a little bet every week on which station we'll get to before I've finished reading it. It's only made it to Paddington once and that was because there was 'a scene' involving a mad person that meant I stopped reading it for a few stops. It usually get's to around Kings Cross or Euston Square before I've dropped it on the floor.
  9. Pickman's model

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Such a shame that it's gone. The freebie version was rubbish compared to the original, but it was an easy read for the bath or whatever. I'll miss it.
    William of Walworth and Slo-mo like this.
  11. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The Machine Stops

I got my first vinyl freebie with NME. Cocteau Twins and Bronski Beat, iirc.

In the 80s and early 90s that magazine was essential.
    William of Walworth and Slo-mo like this.
  12. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I remember that very article, FNM being one of the bands that drew me out of metal orthodoxy into the wider musical world. Apart from using 'shuddering' twice to describe Metallica, it's as good as the NME got: genuinely telling you something about the band and its music, but managing to be piss-yourself funny at the same time.
  13. Pickman's model

not to mention pretentious
  14. krtek a houby

Dunno what article you mean but I do recall there being a lot of FNM articles around the time of Angel Dust in both NME and MM. Geared me up for the gig in Dublin which must have been 92 or 93. I also recall seeing Jim Martin around that time (I think, unless I was hallucinating) outside the Stag's Head off Dame St.

Happy days.
    William of Walworth likes this.
  15. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Went shit before the 90s but was still important when you couldn't just hear new releases or watch a live show on you tube.
    The shit it became as that free mag was ridiculous. So worthless, couldn't even be bothered to take one if someone was offering to give one directly to me.
    Time out too for that matter. Just because it's free doesn't make it worth reading (whatever the shit you put in it). When it's not worth reading, nobody reads it, nobody reads it, nobody pays for advertising.
  17. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

It was. I didn't read it much, but the piece on Bowie's passing was appalling, including the information that 'Heroes' was released in 1987!

A far cry from the turbulent organ-of-record-and-controversy of yore! :(
  18. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Stopped reading it in the early 2000s. Only once bothered to pick up a free version a year or so ago to see what it had become. It was fairly pathetic.

NME my arse.
  19. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I must be late to the party, but I picked up a copy in Asda last night whilst I was hanging about for a mate. That's the first time I read it since 89 I guess, when I realised the music I listened to and went out dancing to was never really covered by them.

Having a quick flick through it seemed as banal as when I stopped reading it in 89
    Pickman's model likes this.
  20. krtek a houby

There weren't many black artists graced the covers back in the day but when they did...

Iirc, the editor was asked why the lack of black bands/singers on the front page and the response was a wishy-washy "those issues don't sell too well, sadly"
    William of Walworth and Maggot like this.
  21. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Never Mind That, It’s Time For the Bus!...

Sad but good. It was a mercy kill.
    It was never going to return to it’s zenith.
    Loved it as a naive, spotty teen all through the seventies.
    Especially the Christmas double edition with the crossword that kept you going over the holidays when the hangovers kicked in.
    The Lone Groover lives on.
    metalguru likes this.
  22. Pickman's model

it was one of the few publications never to have a zenith
    William of Walworth and elbows like this.
  23. Sprocket.

1B972966-7B83-4247-B140-A6323BD8C52A.jpeg 9488473E-4DC6-4D78-93C2-EE8DBCC2A487.jpeg
    This was its zenith,
  24. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Would I be correct in assuming "the day" in question was the 1980s ? In the early to mid 70s I'd have ordered them NME, Sounds, Melody Maker. In reality they've all changed radically (sometimes for 'better', sometimes for 'worse') as the music industry and the people consuming the music have changed.

For me the acme of pretentiousness was the Melody Maker, house organ of the Old Grey Whistle Test. I always associated them with the story of how they were accidentally sent an advance test pressing of Lennon and Ono's 'Wedding Album' which consisted of two discs with one side blank and the other containing an electronic test tone. Richard Williams proceeded to give it a positive review as if it was a double album.

Yet in it's day the Melody Makers 'new direction' in the late sixties had been a distinct move against old school music journalism which was tied to music industry PR. And when punk came along the first inkies to cover it seriously were Melody Maker and Sounds. The NME initially mocked it and then played catch up.

At heart really they were all wankers. So rather like political parties, except that occasionally the music press said something interesting.
  25. Sprocket.

Afore thy era, perhaps my young cohort!
  26. Pickman's model

i was quite a fan of the much misnamed mr agreeable in the mm.
  27. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Thinking about it my period of greatest disaffection with the NME was its horribly trendy "socially conscious" period in the mid-80s.

ETA: (And this was a singularly revolting cover appearing a month after the end of the miner's strike during which Kinnock had given them fuck all support).

But it seems this is one area where it's remained faithful to it's heritage. January this year :

The Labour party have made a banging Spotify playlist about trains
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  28. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

It was shit, and I'm glad it's dead.

Hot Press next, hopefully.

But I digress. Once you no longer had the generation gap in music, did it matter? Part of the appeal of the NME was not only that it kept you informed about music that you wouldn't otherwise hear (or maybe not hear at all), but that it gave you a sort of youthquake esprit de corps - "it's us against Thatcher and the pigs, man". For less than a pound you could imagine that you too, who are really just another suburban no-mark, was the sort of youth revolutionary who could hang out with Barbara Ellen and her ilk (this is a major reason why it was shit).

I will say though, that I still remember the very first issue of it I bought, which had a double-page report on the underground rock scene in Czechoslovakia, which would not have been out of place in the Observer. Of course, this was around the same time that that paper was also beginning its long decline. . .
  29. Maggot

Maggot MES missing message

I loved the NME in the 80s. Some top writers including Seething Wells, Danny Baker, Danny Kelly, David Quantick, Julie Burchill and erm Ian Watson. Some great photography too from the likes of Anton Corbijn, Kevin Cummins and Pennie Smith. I used to listen to the free cassettes religiously. The politics, the humour, the irreverence. It was a big part of my teenage years.
  30. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I remember being excited to see this cover in my local newsagent:
    Unfortunately my excitement was short lived as such coverage turned out to be cursory, and they continued to misunderstand electronic/dance music, only focusing on the diluted sounds of marketable bands who made albums and toured rock venues rather than clubs. Their focus continued to narrow, when it should have broadened. They ignored a lot of fresh new music in favour dull photogenic indie boy bands.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    nogojones likes this.