After free experiment, the once legendary NME mag is now dead

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jul 6, 2015.

1. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

I think it's a good idea and that they should have done it ages ago. Most of their competitors are free - DIY, London In Stereo, Crack, Loud And Quiet, etc - and upping the circulation should bring in the advertising. Going free seems to have been a success for Time Out. I agree that TO isn't the mag it used to be, but at least it's still with us - it was definitely on the way out before they stopped charging for it. Similar story with NME. If this is what it takes to save it, then good luck to them.

2. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

[​IMG]

tufty79 likes this.
  3. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

no, its moderated, no pointed bearded cunt selects what we can see
    Fuck off back to Shoreditch, arsesocket

4. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

yep make them like most advice
    free cos its useless

5. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

The boy looked at Johnny. Gee, he said the kids are doing it for themselves.

6. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

two things
    one have you ever met any of those who run this?
    do you look this this?
    [​IMG]
    are you some sort preposterous twat who thinks this is a good thing?
    if you answer yes to 1, chances are you are not 2
    its simply an attack on ridiculous affectation
    something these boards have always derided (the ridiculous affectation ting....)

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

this is gutting, how now will I find out what music is about. I'm weeping into my tea here.

8. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Yup it's a sad day when you're left reading your tealeaves to find out what's gonna be the next big thing dotty :D

9. clandestino

Great first album, etc...

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If it was "curated" there'd be a shit load less shite on here.

SpookyFrank and muscovyduck like this.
  11. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

The curators are all in your head

[​IMG]

12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Like time out.
    They dropped all the things I used to actually buy time out for and made it a very light weight mainstream version of everything. Pointless to even bother reading for free.
    The NME was already at that level as a music paper to some degree, flimsy, lightweight, and mainstream only music. A pointless read. It died many many years ago, reanimating it's corpse won't bring it back, it's just going to be the brainless walking dead.

13. dialectician

dialectician Well-Known Member

And if they really hated something more exploratory/experimental 9 times out of 10 it'd be good.

14. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I picked up the NME in whsmith the other week for the first time in years just to see what it was like. I couldn't believe how much thinner it was. Even after it went from being newsprint in the early 2000s(?) it used to carry a fair amount of news. The copy I picked up had about a quater of the pages and barely any ads for gigs/festivals. I remember when that was about a quarter of the content.

The reality is however the target market are no longer magazine/newsprint buyers so its difficult to turn the profits of old without change. Smash Hits called it a day back in 2006 so it was only a matter of time before something happened with NME too. And just like Time out and the Evening Standard it'll just get worse I'm sure.

I wonder how kerrang is going these days? They're still weekly I think?

15. clandestino

Their ABC is just above 30K so twice that of the NME. I remember when Kerrang sold maybe 40K and NME did 120K, so they've done well to keep going at a fairly steady pace.

http://www.abc.org.uk/Products-Services/Product-Page/?tid=1917

16. Favelado

Favelado Oh you've got green eyes.

In 1999 they gave single of the week to a track they described as "sherbert fizz-pop rad, dad". That was the end for me.

17. phildwyer

phildwyer Gorau arf arf dysg

He was brıllıant. My favorıte wrıter on the old NME. If ıt dıdn't sound arrogant I'd call hım a major ınfluence. It was sad that he effectıvely stopped wrıtıng for so long but I'm glad to see that he seems to be gettıng back ınto ıt now.

18. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

he was a crazy fucker
    we had/ran a club night together at Ruby's in Carnaby Street
    It was fuckin carnage from the off
    wish him well but he was not a happy chappy in himself

19. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

I had a thumb through the NME yesterday after reading this thread :D Yeah, it's thin and a bit comic like - just nothing really in it! Whilst not a patch on the newspaper format of the 80s/90s, even the magazine format of 10 or so years ago was much much better than what its seemingly become.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  20. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Could they make the cover look any more like all the other free lifestyle mags?

[​IMG]

skyscraper101 likes this.
  22. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I can see the board meeting now:

"Nobody wants to buy the NME, what shall we do?"
    "We could try hiring some people who can string a sentence together."
    "Shut up Sally. In fact, you're fired. Get the fuck out."
    "We could try writing about interesting music instead of the same dated indie shite."
    "You're fired as well Tom, clear out your desk."
    "We don't have desks, not since you read that article about hot-desking and then set them all on fire."
    "Then just fuck off. Right, any proper ideas?"
    "We could go give up being a music paper altogether and just write adverts disguised as reviews."
    "We've been trying to do that for years but we don't have enough circulation to get away with it."
    "So let's give the fucking thing away for free."
    "Fantastic, just what I was thinking. Right that's settled then. Meeting adjourned."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    billy_bob, ohmyliver, pesh and 2 others like this.
  23. braindancer

braindancer not for long

I got the tube this morning - and noticed that there were 3 or 4 people in the carriage reading the NME. I was curious about this?? I'd not heard it had become a freebie dished out at stations.... that clears that up!

24. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

They were giving them away outside Liverpool Street station.

I didn't pick one up.

Thirty years ago I'd make a special trip to the library every week to read it... :oops:

stethoscope and ska invita like this.
  25. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Well put... Private Eye, which is enjoying record sales, is proof that if the writing is good and the content relevant, you can still have a print publication that people are happy to pay for

ETA: and that isnt given away free online

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    SpookyFrank likes this.
  26. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Will they give a one star review to an act signed to a major?

Will they eckerslike

27. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

its shite, got one today
    I fart better guff on an hourly basis

28. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Rolling on...

The lone groover.jpg
    This is another dude never going home then.

29. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

Does anyone else remember the twat who was constantly writing into the NME, I mean on an apparently daily if not hourly basis?

They let him edit the letters page one week. I suppose today he's an internet troll.

30. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Just seen a copy. Its a bit more Smash Hits than NME. Loads of listicles. Lightweight...