African Lives Matter protest against slavery in Libya - Parliament Sq

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Brainaddict, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

I bumped into this on the way home from work and stopped for a while - a couple of hundred people were blocking the junction of Bridge St and Whitehall on Parliament Square.

Don't really know who is organising it - and hopefully it isn't some dodgy front group for any of the usual suspects - but the cause can't be faulted.

Home - African Lives Matter

african lives matter.jpg

Mation, Rutita1, Nigel and 1 other person like this.
  2. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Is this a situation that has come above / become worsened by the fall of Gaddafi? I don't know whether his Pan-Africanism was posturing or sincere, but I read somewhere that Black Africans in Libya have been targeted as symbols of the Gaddafi administration for some reason. Anyone know anything about that?

Rutita1 and Nigel like this.
  3. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

It's a situation that has arisen in the absence of a functioning state, but the main aggravating factor is the blocking of the sea route to Europe which has happened (with little comment in the UK) in the last six months. Very few boats are now making it across as a result of the collusion between the EU, Italy and what there is of the Libya authorities. This means there are hundreds of thousands of vulnerable effectively stateless people trapped in a country with no rule of law.

Migrants for sale: Slave trade in Libya
    Is the EU complicit in refugee abuse in Libya?

Nigel, alsoknownas and Rutita1 like this.
  4. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

well he started as a pan Arab and after he pissed the rest of the middle east off he discovered he was actually African:hmm:Toyota War - Wikipedia. He did talk a good talk and did give a lot of aid but Gadaffi was Gadaffi not exactly the most stabe