1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affordable laptop recommendations: budget £350-£450

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by psycherelic, Dec 6, 2009.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

SSD speeds things up massively - especially when you're booting up the machine.

2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Sure. I'll try to find time tomorrow :)

With regard SSD they aren't essential, but very nice to have. For less demanding stuff, your hard drive is the thing you are waiting on most. I've fitted them to quite old machines and they've made a huge difference to how responsive the PC feels.

3. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

Right. Waiting was ticking me off with my last laptop. So SSD sounds like a solution. Ok, I am open to having one as long as a dufus like me can attach it to the laptop.

UnderAnOpenSky and editor educating us luddites :cool:

4. UnderAnOpenSky

You don't need to. Unless someone told you, you may not know you had one as they do the same function as a normal hard disk.

5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

Pretty much what I got about 6 weeks ago, except I opted for 8gb RAM, just to make Handbrake run a bit faster. Didn't bother with an SSD, as I'm not particularly arsed about quick booting, and no program I use requires fast writing.

6. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

Good morning, do you guys have any more recommendations?

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  7. yield

yield zero

This Acer looks good top of your price range though. Most recent, 7th generation, processor & a decent sized ssd

Acer Aspire E5-575 £550 @ ao.com or saveonlaptops

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  8. yield

yield zero

What are your first impressions? As sturdy as the older models?

9. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda 100% echtes Pandabär!!

Yep. I've previously had a couple of T23s and a T60, and it's just as solid.

yield and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  10. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Active Member

I've got several T430's, 440's and 450's on my ebay watch list at the moment.

I might have been prepared to pay up to £500 for this if I was around near the end of the auction, but alas I missed it.
    upload_2017-3-20_23-10-5.png

I definitely much rather get a good second hand Thinkpad over a brand new Acer all day long.

11. UnderAnOpenSky

I had a look at Acer's for you. They don't seem as well specced on the more basic models.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

They look like a nice bit of kit. Will definelty be in the running to replace my T60 later this year. See you can get an i5 a fair bit cheaper, which would be fine for me as I also have a desktop.

13. little_legs

little_legs Поехали!

Many thanks to yield and UnderAnOpenSky

Have not made the decision to buy yet. So far, as I've gotten past the laptop withdrawl, I've been able to clean my room, go for 2 bike rides, cooked every day, ironed 5 shirts, cleaned the bathroom, folded away woolens.