Affordable laptop recommendations: budget £350-£450

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by psycherelic, Dec 6, 2009.

1. psycherelic

psycherelic I'm not an old hippy!

I'm sure there's been millions of these threads before and you'll all bored of people asking what laptop they should buy, but I've really tried and looked around a lot but I just seem to be getting more confused :(

I've worked a bit out, I want to spend something in the £350-£450 range, I'm not bothered about portability, battery life or hard drive size and I'd mainly use it for watching films/TV, internet browsing and playing civ4 :oops:

More technically I'd like to find something with at least 3 preferably 4gb ram, a dual core processor with a speed over 2ghz, a wide screen at last 15.6", a dedicated graphics card that isn't completely shit, at least 3 usb ports and a half decent build quality that won't fall apart six months down the line.

Oh and I'd rather get something that already has windows 7 installed, but I could live with updateing a vista machine if it would save me money.

Help!?

Any advice/recomendations would be REALLY appreciated.

2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

A desktop? You'll get much more bang for your buck and a bigger screen.

3. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Was gonna say that, if you're not interested in battery life and portability I can't see why you'd get a laptop tbh...unless you live in a tiny place?

4. psycherelic

Thanks for the replies, had considered a desktop BUT I don't have a desk, I live in a one bed flat, I might be going to korea for a year and I'd like something I can take round to friend's

5. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

6. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Laptop for around 350-400?

I have been asked to source a laptop for a friend around 350 -400 max: the one I am looking at is the 15.6" Notebook MEDION AKOYA® E5218, it has a 15.6" LCD screen, intel T4400 (2.2 GHz) a FSB 800 MHz, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM1
    and a 320 GB S-ATA hard drive.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12298.htm

Any good? she wants one to watch films, word process, store and maybe photoshop digital images,etc.

7. psycherelic

I think I've cracked it with the acer 7535G:

• AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core Mobile Processor ZM-82, 2.2GHz
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 17.3" screen
    • ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 graphics card
    • 500GB SATA hard drive
    • Vista home premium
    £479 from ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173591

Does that sound reasonable?

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd probably look at an Acer machine. Summat like this one for £380
    Acer Aspire 5732Z Value Laptop, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 15.6" WXGA, DVD±RW, Webcam, Dark Blue Lid, Windows 7 Home Premium
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172314

9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I like Dell for good value machines.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep - Dell are worth a look too.

11. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

That Medion one is awesome value - 3 yr warranty as well :cool:

12. jonead

jonead New Member

13. JE:5

JE:5 Ten minutes from frozen

And Aldi are really good for changing things or giving you your money back if they should stop working (or it wasn't what you wanted)

14. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Yep they've been very good with swapping computer stuff for me in the past, even when it was a matter of days outside the warranty. :cool:

They allso have a really good unofficial user support forum

15. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Nice as a desktop replacement, which is what you're after. Don't expect the battery to last any longer than it takes to unplug from one socket and plug into another next to it.

16. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

I've had a look, can't find any threads like this. Good post ;)

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*threads merged, title changed, tags added and thread made a sticky

18. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

It was time for a new one!

19. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Ah, just come in, bit confused at the urban Synchronicity! but thanks for the info, my friend is disabled and a laptop would be best.I think i will recommend the Aldi one, though a bigger screen would have been preferable, and maybe with blu-ray.

20. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger There's only one of me!

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop

My mum wants to get a new laptop and I said I'd help.

She wants to sepnd no more than £350 (The less the better) and also wants it equiped with Windows 7.

She only needs to use it with Word (so also needs this) and for internet browsing.

Does anybody have any ideas?

21. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

PM Minnie the Minx... she has ALL the details. :cool:

22. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I'd wait to near the end of Jan.

23. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger There's only one of me!

Unfortunately she needs it asap and might not even wait untill after Xmas!

24. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

There is a thread knocking about with that price range somewhere. The answer is Acer Inspire though, just can't remember numbers.

dave

25. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

26. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

I was look for dad his money, at an Asus £345 at Comet order on website pick from store.

Win7 64bit
    4gb ram
    350 HD

Think it was good.

he went for a Sony in end more money same speck :confused:

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a ruddy sticky too with a near identical title! I'll merge them.

Oh, and this ain't bad for £378:
    Acer Aspire 5732Z Value Laptop, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 15.6" WXGA, DVD±RW, Webcam, Dark Blue Lid, Windows 7 Home Premium

or this for the same price:
    Acer Aspire 5536 Laptop, AMD Turion RM-74 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6" WXGA, DVDRW,HDMI,Webcam Card Reader WIFI, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, Vista Home Premium *WINDOWS 7 UPGRADEABLE*

Or this for £350
    Compaq 615 Laptop,AMD Dual Core Athlon X2 QL-66 2.2GHz, 320GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 15.6" WXGA, DVD±RW, ATI HD3200, Bluetooth,2MP Webcam,WIFI, Windows 7 Home Premium

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computers/cat/Laptops

28. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

If you want XP get Vista Business and XP downgrade disks. They'll have equivalents to that with Business on it. Acer Aspires have Home Premiums and Travelmates have Business. You'll probably get a good offer on Windows 7 upgrades too.

I got a Travelmate Timeline for the battery life - benchmark >9 hours, actual 4-6 hours. :eek: The other reason I got it was a numeric keypad on a 15.6" machine, which was relatively hard to find at the time. Some other 15.6" Acers also have this, if you'd prefer a smaller one but need the keypad for games. They should be a bit cheaper for the same spec and won't eat leccy. Might be harder to find a 15.6" with a good graphics card. Laptop adviser has a good page on cards and what games run on them - usually comes fairly high if you google the card name.

I'm not recommending a Timeline because the processor and graphics would be inadequate for your gaming needs. But thumbs up for Acer in general. This is my second Acer in a row, and they're pretty good. They've stopped putting all their annoying crap software on too, which is fucking lovely. Clean from first boot!

29. paulE

paulE Member

a worthwhile read

anyone thinking about a new computer should check out this piece from ZDnet. awhile back.
    Culture of cheap: How discount computers cost the consumer
    "The American obsession with low-priced products — especially electronics — is actually bad for the individual consumer. According to one expert, the race to the bottom cramps innovation, speeds the decline of successful industries and alters our expectations of product quality.

Are thinning margins and the economics of cheap ruining our attitudes?

This month, I added my contribution to ZDNet’s “Dead-finger Tech” series with Apple’s 13-inch MacBook Pro laptop, and an interesting discussion arose in the comments about the true value of “premium.”

the full read can be found at.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=6320&tag=nl.e540

30. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

I was less than convinced by that post.

It assumes that Apple or Dell are the innovators required for improvements in computing which is rarely true. It also makes the major and incredible assumption that people want a "computer for life" or that such a monstrosity would be a good thing. It also implies that somehow a cheap desktop is a poor investment compared to a more expensive one, that's a seriously questionable claim.