Advice on potential benefits

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Barking_Mad, Nov 23, 2017.

  1. Barking_Mad

    Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus


    My wife trained as a nursery assistant and got a job doing it, but the stress of the job and poor management (that's a long post in itself) has forced her to take time off work. She still has that job but is currently on sick leave. She's applied for another job and got it, but it's only 10 hours per week. I work full-time and on circa £22k.

    She's currently really upset because we have a daughter and she think she's let me, her and everyone down and says he only option is to go back to work at the children's centre as we're going to lose £600 a month. I dont want her to do that as they're pretty shitty and it made her quite ill.

    Any advice much appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

    you may be able to claim tax credits, but i'm very fuzzy on them.

    this (independent, anonymous) benefits calculator may be worth looking at
    JimW and Rutita1 like this.
  3. Barking_Mad

    Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

    Thanks. I've sent her the link as that looks a great site to check all possible claims. I think minimum hours for tax credits is 16. It's daft how she was working 35 hours a week and could claim about £20 in tax credits a month (which to be fair we didn't need like others do), but now if she starts this job on 10 hours a week, she cant claim anything.
  4. scifisam

    scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

    Could she get six hours somewhere else?

    In any case, as a couple with a young child the rules are somewhat different. It'd probably be worth phoning the tax credits helpline to check. Also if you're in a universal credit area then the only way to find out for sure is to phone because it's really complicated.
  5. sheothebudworths

    sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

    No, no! For a couple with a child/children it's 24 hours between you but one of you has to be at doing at least 16, so you're defo entitled (and quite probably were before, too)! :thumbs:
    scifisam and 8115 like this.
  6. Puddy_Tat

    Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

    sounds right.

    for income related / means tested benefits, you claim as a couple (if you are living with someone as a couple that is)

    the benefits system, since it works usually to their advantage, also consider 'common law' partners as partners, not just where people are married / civil partnered

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice