Advice needed please

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Hellsbells, May 18, 2018.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

I'm looking for a bit of advice on behalf of a friend. He has a small group of volunteers who help him out a few times a week and he's just advertised for more people. He's been contacted by a voluntary organisation who want to send along a guy with aspergers. My friend already has one volunteer with aspergers who requires alot of additional support and supervision. My friend has no paid staff to help him and massive projects and deadlines to complete and he's really struggling. How could my friend best respond to this voluntary organisation?

2. TruXta

TruXta tired

Politely decline

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Your friend will need to be honest and clear about why he doesn't feel he can adequately take on, supervise and support this person, at this time.

It is imperative that organisations that use volunteers can actually accommodate them in a way that is in the best interests of the volunteer. I would approach the conversation from that angle personally.

4. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Not all people with aspergers require the same type or level of support.

5. Hellsbells

I know but the agency have provided no information and asking for any is quite awkward

6. Hellsbells

How does this sound?

In order to ensure this voluntary position would be in the best interests of the volunteer, please could you provide me with further information about their capabilities and any support they would require and perhaps we could arrange a trial week?

Due to current work demands, it is unfortunately not possible for me to adequately take on and supervise a volunteer who will require extensive support and guidance.

7. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

People with aspergers and autism are not all the same - their abilities and level of support needed vary widely.

Your friend should be fair in the way he recruits and treats volunteers. That means not discriminating and offering reasonable adjustments, but it also means being clear about the level of support (if any) and supervision he/his organisation can provide (and if a level of support is offered the capacity in terms of numbers).

He needs to have a volunteer policy and respond accordingly.

So he can either draw up a volunteer job description, and get back to them explaining that he is willing to make reasonable adjustments, however additional support/supervision cannot be offered at this time - if the prospective volunteer thinks he can do the volunteer job according to the description, with or without reasonable adjustments, then he should come in for an interview and look round the place (if necessary) or come and join in for an induction and trial voluntary session.

Or he can invite the prospective volunteer in for a chat with an open mind to find out if he has skills and interests that would help the organisation without additional support.

Whichever way he does this, it should be how he deals with all prospective volunteers from now on - this will benefit his organisation as they will get people who can do the roles needed, volunteers will be clearer about their role, and it means he can be honest about his capabilities without discriminating because someone mentions a diagnosis.

Thimble Queen and Hellsbells like this.
  8. Rutita1

This is true of course. The OP isn't clear on what information his mate already has about this person. What do they know already about the needs of the volunteer? Hellsbells

9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yeah, if the agency are going to be mention ing the aspergers they should probably also be mentioning what support or adjustments are required, if any (may be none are needed beyond "awareness").

But yeah, beyond this I'd echo crossthebreeze's post.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  10. Rutita1

This reads two different responses to me.

1st paragraph would be if he were going to take this person on for a trial and wanted to know more about their needs.

2nd would be if they had already decided they could not accommodate them.

equationgirl likes this.
  11. Hellsbells

He knows nothing. All the agency said was that he has aspergers and has access to a car so transport isn't a problem

12. Rutita1

Well he is jumping to conclusions then expecting that this person's needs are going to require as much time/energy as the existing volunteer.

He needs more info. I would get that info before offering a trial too given that your friend already has reservations based on little actual information.

13. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

One thing for certain is that your friend cannot turn down the volunteer "just because they have aspergers"*

*crudely phrased, sorry.

14. Hellsbells

I know. Of course he can't. I've suggested he asks the agency for more information and then takes it from there.

chilango likes this.
  15. Rutita1

16. Rutita1

Employers - NAS

Project Aspie

I'm not sure how much support or training your friend has wrt supporting volunteers/employees in the workplace with an aspie diagnosis. Maybe enquire? Suggest he do a bit of research and or training. I'm wondering how they are coping to engage with and support their existing volunteer adequately and how much of that is fueling this worry.

17. Hellsbells

He has had no training or support whatsoever and is unlikely to get any or be given any time to research himself. His workload is ridiculous and his volunteer team are basically his only help in a job that requires a team of full time paid, experienced workers.

18. Why are there no full time paid workers?

Rutita1 likes this.
  19. Rutita1

Who does he work for? Can he not approach his own employers and request this support?

20. Rutita1

It's getting really common for this kind of model to be used. That's why the offer to volunteers is so important.

21. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

Lucky volunteers!

:hmm:

22. Hellsbells

We're in the Isle of Man where things are different. It's basically volunteers or nothing.