Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys): RIP

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Mumbles274, May 4, 2012.

1. Notorious J.I.M

Notorious J.I.M Well-Known Member

This has really hit me. It feels like a big part of my youth has died. I grew up with the Beasties and they seemed to really unite different people and scenes. RIP. :(

veracity likes this.
  2. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Life is short.

Voley, pesh and ska invita like this.
  3. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

RIP. You were real.

ska invita likes this.
  4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

maximum respect [​IMG]

^thats a live show that would take some beating

5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

Easy to give props to dead legends, but he really was a proper fucking hero - totally changed the game and then some... Nuff respect....

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

Fucking sucks. Really.

7. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown caput mortuum

I remember seeing the BB supporting the Rollins Band at the Newcastle Riverside in front of about 200 people in the early 90's - they spent half the gig doing Venom covers, Adam was a big fan apparently, he even mentioned that he had rang the signer out of Venom to make sure he didn't mind them playing their songs - Venom were from just down the road in North Shields.

RIP

ska invita likes this.
  8. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

nuff said.....
    adam.jpg

Dead Cat Bounce and veracity like this.
  9. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

rotten, shitty news, rip :(

10. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

Sad. I remember him being diagnosed with the cancer a few years back. I also remember a fucking storming gig at the Brixton Academy, must have been about 1995.

Voley likes this.
  11. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

Such shit news. One of my favourite live bands and my little un will never get to see them.

47 wtf age is that? RIP.

12. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

And yet Justin Bieber remains as healthy as ever - universe is fucked. :(

13. Voley

Voley Ramoner

'Intergalactic' / 'Hello Nasty' time? Think I was at that one, too. They started the gig by striking awesomely bad superhero poses. :D They were absolutely storming at Reading that year, too, the year they had the row with The Prodigy. I'm really quite surprisingly upset by this news. He was a beaut. :(

ska invita likes this.
  14. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

15. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I saw them on that joint headliner tour in Manchester when the Beastie Boys went on last. These days Paul's Boutique is rightly seen as a classic but nearly all journos completely panned it at the time. Hence that tour was them more or less starting from scratch again. Rollins was pretty much the more popular act at the time and indeed did a great set but the Beasties came on and played it LOUD AS FUCK. Definitely one of my top 5 gigs ever. There were about 300 people there I reckon.

RIP

ska invita and stethoscope like this.
  16. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Yes, I remember it was always brought up as an example of a disastrous second album.

Turned out BB were just way ahead of the game.

stethoscope and twistedAM like this.
  17. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Sad news. RIP :(

I was lucky enough to see them at Madison Square Gardens, and I only knew the rap hits beforehand. I was impressed at the different styles of music they played and all the accomplished musicians they played with.

:(

ska invita likes this.
  18. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Still can't believe it :(

machine cat and ska invita like this.
  19. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

It's music for absolutely everyone. Very few people are capable of creating something like that. RIP Adam.

Notorious J.I.M, Voley and ska invita like this.
  20. ska invita

The thing thats so refreshing about them is that they just never play the game, slavishly riding trends etc. They've got their skate tastes and do what they want when they want, ignoring current trends pretty much, and often challenging their fans (and dumbfuck music journos it sounds like), record to record. If a new BB album comes out to a certain extent you really dont know what to expect, and whatever it is it won't be a gimmic.

That said License to Ill is of its RunDMC 86-style time, where as Pauls B (89) is like Prince Paul's 3 Feet High (88), a million and one sample-fest (have to give full credit to the Dust Brothers for making that record as good as it is). Ultimately though they're true-school - nothing but integrity throughout, and each new record done from a love of it. So much to celebrate in his death - a too-short life truly well lived.

Voley, Belushi and stethoscope like this.
  21. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown caput mortuum

Exactly mate, I couldn't believe they were playing with the fucking Rollins Band, in front of around 200 people? crazy. They took the roof off the place :D

22. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

That was like the Year Grunge Broke or something like that. Both acts were a little unfashionable I guess. Also they toured student towns in the summer!
    I was on a date for that gig and it began a 24 hour bender which ended on some beach in Turkey. I guess I owe Adam a little thanks for kickstarting a crazy weeklong party:D

Maggot, sunnysidedown and ska invita like this.
  23. johnripper1987

johnripper1987 New Member

24. ska invita

...and he was responsible for most the visuals is that right?

25. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

There aren't many acts who are responsible for at least five essential albums (LTI, P'sB, IC, CYH and HN), and a quality greatest hit package. RIP.

26. machine cat

machine cat nod from the big man as kosher Banned

I went to the show in Manchester the day after this.

One of the greatest things I have ever witnessed. :cool:

27. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Such a shame, been listening to the first 4 albums over the weekend, such good music, so many good tunes,so many good memories of listening to them. I remember being about 17 at parties jumping around to them, having such a great time... shaking my rump, lickin my finger and doin what i wanted

I think i saw them at reading '92 on the sunday, was that the day they played? i know PE played the Saturday that year but I only went on the sunday and rememeber it more for Nirvana, but think they played during the afternoon... man that was an epic day... L7 tampon incident, nick cave was epic and of course Nirvana with Kurt's wheelchair moment...

Voley and stethoscope like this.
  28. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Aye, they were on just after Bjorn Again (!) and before L7. That was a hell of a day.

29. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

sure was, best music day of my life thus far

30. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

You can feel the explosion of energy when they bounce on stage :cool:

Voley likes this.