Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys): RIP

Notorious J.I.M

This has really hit me. It feels like a big part of my youth has died. I grew up with the Beasties and they seemed to really unite different people and scenes. RIP. :(

sunnysidedown

caput mortuum
I remember seeing the BB supporting the Rollins Band at the Newcastle Riverside in front of about 200 people in the early 90's - they spent half the gig doing Venom covers, Adam was a big fan apparently, he even mentioned that he had rang the signer out of Venom to make sure he didn't mind them playing their songs - Venom were from just down the road in North Shields.

RIP

Cloo

Surfeit of lampreys
Sad. I remember him being diagnosed with the cancer a few years back. I also remember a fucking storming gig at the Brixton Academy, must have been about 1995.

Part 2

bizarre wanking accident
Such shit news. One of my favourite live bands and my little un will never get to see them.

47 wtf age is that? RIP.

Voley

Sign On You Crazy Diamond
Sad. I remember him being diagnosed with the cancer a few years back. I also remember a fucking storming gig at the Brixton Academy, must have been about 1995.
'Intergalactic' / 'Hello Nasty' time? Think I was at that one, too. They started the gig by striking awesomely bad superhero poses. :D They were absolutely storming at Reading that year, too, the year they had the row with The Prodigy. I'm really quite surprisingly upset by this news. He was a beaut. :(

twistedAM

Left Of The Dial
I remember seeing the BB supporting the Rollins Band at the Newcastle Riverside in front of about 200 people in the early 90's - they spent half the gig doing Venom covers, Adam was a big fan apparently, he even mentioned that he had rang the signer out of Venom to make sure he didn't mind them playing their songs - Venom were from just down the road in North Shields.

RIP
I saw them on that joint headliner tour in Manchester when the Beastie Boys went on last. These days Paul's Boutique is rightly seen as a classic but nearly all journos completely panned it at the time. Hence that tour was them more or less starting from scratch again. Rollins was pretty much the more popular act at the time and indeed did a great set but the Beasties came on and played it LOUD AS FUCK. Definitely one of my top 5 gigs ever. There were about 300 people there I reckon.

RIP

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
Sad news. RIP :(

Wow, what a shock. Poor fella. Great musician, not just as a rapper. It was him who yelled 'DROP', wasn't it? He had the gruff voice against Mike D's whine, which I could never get with. Ace bass player, love his work on The In Sound From Way Out
I was lucky enough to see them at Madison Square Gardens, and I only knew the rap hits beforehand. I was impressed at the different styles of music they played and all the accomplished musicians they played with.

:(

ska invita

back on the other side
Yes, I remember it was also brought up as an example of a disastrous second album. Turned out BB were just way ahead of the game.
The thing thats so refreshing about them is that they just never play the game, slavishly riding trends etc. They've got their skate tastes and do what they want when they want, ignoring current trends pretty much, and often challenging their fans (and dumbfuck music journos it sounds like), record to record. If a new BB album comes out to a certain extent you really dont know what to expect, and whatever it is it won't be a gimmic.

That said License to Ill is of its RunDMC 86-style time, where as Pauls B (89) is like Prince Paul's 3 Feet High (88), a million and one sample-fest (have to give full credit to the Dust Brothers for making that record as good as it is). Ultimately though they're true-school - nothing but integrity throughout, and each new record done from a love of it. So much to celebrate in his death - a too-short life truly well lived.

sunnysidedown

caput mortuum
I saw them on that joint headliner tour in Manchester when the Beastie Boys went on last. These days Paul's Boutique is rightly seen as a classic but nearly all journos completely panned it at the time. Hence that tour was them more or less starting from scratch again. Rollins was pretty much the more popular act at the time and indeed did a great set but the Beasties came on and played it LOUD AS FUCK. Definitely one of my top 5 gigs ever. There were about 300 people there I reckon.

RIP
Exactly mate, I couldn't believe they were playing with the fucking Rollins Band, in front of around 200 people? crazy. They took the roof off the place :D

twistedAM

Left Of The Dial
Exactly mate, I couldn't believe they were playing with the fucking Rollins Band, in front of around 200 people? crazy. They took the roof off the place :D
That was like the Year Grunge Broke or something like that. Both acts were a little unfashionable I guess. Also they toured student towns in the summer!
I was on a date for that gig and it began a 24 hour bender which ended on some beach in Turkey. I guess I owe Adam a little thanks for kickstarting a crazy weeklong party:D

stavros

There aren't many acts who are responsible for at least five essential albums (LTI, P'sB, IC, CYH and HN), and a quality greatest hit package. RIP.

Mumbles274

running from law and the press and the parents
Such a shame, been listening to the first 4 albums over the weekend, such good music, so many good tunes,so many good memories of listening to them. I remember being about 17 at parties jumping around to them, having such a great time... shaking my rump, lickin my finger and doin what i wanted

I think i saw them at reading '92 on the sunday, was that the day they played? i know PE played the Saturday that year but I only went on the sunday and rememeber it more for Nirvana, but think they played during the afternoon... man that was an epic day... L7 tampon incident, nick cave was epic and of course Nirvana with Kurt's wheelchair moment...