1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acetates and Dub Plates

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by twentythreedom, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

:D
    to a soundtrack of

Sirena likes this.
  2. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

...would be dangerous to a tune like that..

3. ska invita

[timestretch] waaaatch diiiiiisssss [/timestretch]

stethoscope likes this.
  4. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

5. ska invita

thanks for the link steph - well written piece

my thoughts from it though are that aside from the social thing, which was nice for those involved who get to the front of the queue, the key losses of dubs is whats described in that piece as the devaluing of music and the lack of exclusivity. although it sounds convincing in the article im not sure its true, as djs can and do still have digital exclusives which may never get released or only will do in a years time and so on. as to the devaluing of music it may feel like that but on a scene thats still bubbling theres still that excitement about new tunes and their unavailability.

I think whats changed is the way producers approach making a track - knowing its never going to get cut or pressed makes them treat the end product differently and i find a lot of tracks just dont do as much, and wont get played for as long - there are lots of tracks that would feel long if played for 3 mins.

look at a tracklist for a 2hr set of someone like oneman and theres 60 tracks in there wheres in the past you'd have had 30 (or there abouts). Tunes do less and get played for shorter time. This isnt such a bad thing, its just different. A set becomes a mosaic of tracks more than a sequence of killers....hard to describe...its almost like a dj has to create one tune out of two. <thats my impression, especially on the post-dubstep 140bpm side, but theres lots of jump up dnb that isnt worth hanging around for for the second drop.

If you were paying £50 for a dub youd want to get your five minutes worth, not mix it out after two. Supposedly its dead easy to mix with this new technology, so that speeds things up, and you dont have to shuffle around in a record box finding the right track, so that speeds things up too. DJs get itchy standing around so end up putting the tunes on faster and faster, and producers build tunes knowing thats what is going to happen....in my mind thats whats really devalued the music - too many 2 minute tunes.

*Also never knew Dilli and Lemon bought a lathe! Sounds like a nightmare. That (valve sound) rig wasnt cheap and nor is storage and its not exactly getting played out much - money pit all round. Really rate them for trying it though. They really love the whole thing...look at the sniffing the plate grin :D
    [​IMG]

nogojones and stethoscope like this.
  6. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Looks good, will have a read later. Just sorting tunes for tonight so here's a few oldies from the vaults
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

stethoscope likes this.
  7. ringo

8. ska invita

in a rush to dust a soundboy? try turbo kill-a-sound!

ringo likes this.
  9. ringo

Couple of 80's Prince/King Jammy's just landed. Still hunting a Tubbys, preferably in the beautiful sleeves he used for a while.

jammys_dubplate_campbell.jpg jammys_dubplate_riley.jpg

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  10. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

11. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've got a mungo's hifi dub plate and thats it.... I can't even remember what its called

12. ringo

First King Tubbys Dubplate finally bagged. Now to find a 70's one with the even better sleeves.
    [​IMG]

plurker and rutabowa like this.
  13. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

WHoooah. That is quite a thing.....

14. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

how much does something like that sell for do you mind me asking? i guess it is more a case of knowing the right people rather than money with something like that though, it is kind of priceless.

15. ringo

Not as much as you might think, £35, it just took years to find. The really good stuff goes for big money, but I'm not really looking for a monster tune on these. It's easier to find heavy dubs on blank or other label dubplates or trade CDRs if you want something exclusive/very rare to play out in decent condition. I bought these to mount in frames and put on the wall in my music room. I love them for their cultural, historic and aesthetic beauty, the tunes on them are not all that great and pretty noisy, which is why they were not that expensive.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  16. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

I use to go to Music House on Holloway Road to get my dubplates cut. Great memories!

17. ringo

Mmmm, freshly baked
    dubplate_small.jpg

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I FINALLY got my first dubplate pressed! this is it being cut: