About to hand my notice in

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Guineveretoo, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

There are no good consequences, at least in the short term. It is all about managing it.

As I say, I think it is going to get much, much worse over the next little while.

I am feeling shaky right now, as work emails are popping up.

I need to get this button pushed.

2. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I think you are right to want to hand in your notice, the work environment seems toxic. Keep those emails as you obviously have a good case for constructive dismissal and they are key. But Id also take the advice of a lot of posters, don't press send yet, take as much time off on the sick as you can. You might as well be aid while you look for a new job, then press send when you find something else, and then take out claim for constructive dismissal, make the situation work for you!

muscovyduck and Guineveretoo like this.
  3. Guineveretoo

My daughter just phoned and invited me to meet with her and my granddaughter.

That seems to have tipped me over the edge and now I am crying.

Rutita1 likes this.
  4. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

That's possibly what you need to let some of the decision making tension out ?

Rutita1 likes this.
  5. Guineveretoo

If I have a job to go to, I will definitely not win a constructive dismissal claim, as you can only do so if the leaving has left you in financial difficulty!

Part of why I want to send the resignation now is that I don't think things can get worse, and I think the last straw has happened.

But I keep deleting the email and then reinstating it....

6. 1927

If work is making you feel that on edge then there is no decision to be made, get out now,(after taking 6 months sick leave)

7. Guineveretoo

I don't think so.

I have been agonising over this decision for months, even though I only just told Urban.

8. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Is there any way you can ask for a one-to-one meeting with your line manager to tell them frankly how you feel, or has the whole situation gone beyond that now?

9. Guineveretoo

More good advice.

i did this very thing a few months ago.

Nothing has changed.

PippinTook likes this.
  10. 1927

reading the thread so far I think it gone far beyond that!

11. Guineveretoo

Everyone is giving me good advice, for which I am very grateful. It is just strengthening my resolve, as it were, as it is all stuff I have already done, or already considered, or looked at months ago.

This really has been a long time coming.

i just phoned the union official - found a number in an old email - but she is too busy to talk to me just now.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  12. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Agonising over this decision alone Guin. I am not sure this has helped you to feel more in control and less stressed. This isn't a criticism of course, just a reminder that sharing our woes can help us to feel less alone and help us work things out.

13. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

from some of the stuff you've posted in the past , I thought you would have done it ages ago,so fair play for trying to make it work,sometimes you just have to say sod it, just for your own sanity.Best of luck and strength to you

14. Guineveretoo

yeah, that is why I posted up this thread in the end. Although I have spoken to friends about what i am going through.

PippinTook and Rutita1 like this.
  15. Guineveretoo

Okay - something has just happened at work which means I have sent the email resigning.

Thanks everyone, but I am signing off now.

16. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Hope you're okay, Guineveretoo.

PippinTook likes this.
  17. ruffneck23

((Guineveretoo))

18. Guineveretoo

Btw, although the shit is about to hit the fan once my line manager finds out I have resigned, I do feel a little bit lighter for having pushed the button.

But I really do have to sign out now - work is building up, and I am not (yet) signed off sick...

19. Guineveretoo

Note that i didn't email my line manager with my resignation - I decided that first thing this morning, and felt a little bit better for that, even, as I know he won't contact me about it until he has been told by someone above him, as it were.

But, even if I had included him, it would have bounced, because his email inbox is full! But he passed a message via someone else that, despite me asking to hand a piece of work on because I was not coping with the workload, that piece of work was staying with me.

That was the final, final straw and I pushed the send button!

So, done. I will be unemployed in a few weeks!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  20. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I hope you can get some time in the fresh air today. Wishing you all the best!

PippinTook likes this.
  21. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I know you've sent the email now but this is so true. Before I left my last job I was almost counting the hours, not just the days, until I left! Working like that is just not sustainable.

Well done on taking the decision and I hope it works out.

If it were possible to put regrets in minus figures (IYSWIM) that is what I have had since leaving work in November.

The last time was the fourth time I have left a job without one to go to. I have never regretted any of those decisions.

At the moment Antelope and I are really having to be careful with money but are much happier than when working.

A lot of modern workplaces are SO toxic. Mine wasn't as bad as many but I think a few years ago more people enjoyed going to work. I hope you're able to go ahead with a constructive dismissal claim as it sounds like they have been really unhelpful and they need to be made to realise that.

22. Guineveretoo

My union official rang just now. At least I have informed them now, although it was clear that she was trying to palm me off, for which I don't blame her, actually....

23. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Good luck Guineveretoo. Sorry things have been so awful. Onwards and upwards. X

Guineveretoo likes this.
  24. ruffneck23

no blame her, what do you pay your subs for ?

Guineveretoo likes this.
  25. Well done for handing in your notice Guin x

Guineveretoo likes this.
  26. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

I think you have done the right thing Guineveretoo, and wish you the very best for the future. :)

Guineveretoo likes this.
  27. Guineveretoo

Oh, fucking hell. The union president, to whom I sent my notice, has responded to say that he is on sick leave and unable to deal with it, so he has passed it on to my line manager to deal.

he is also saying that my line manager will be sorting my exit interview.

not sure currently sure what happens next.

don't even know my leaving date at the moment.

I guess I will have to speak to my line manager if/when he phones.

28. ruffneck23

do you not have an HR dept ? , firstly they should be dealing with this type of thing, if so tell them why you cant have the exit interview with your line manager, if still no joy ask for someone to be present of your choice as a witness in the exit interview, then politely and eloquently blame everything on your line manager to her face, and she how she tries to bully you with someone else in the room.

ska invita likes this.
  29. Go off sick through your notice period. Just fuck them off.

muscovyduck, emanymton, oryx and 6 others like this.
  30. ruffneck23

^^^^ this too