About to hand my notice in

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Guineveretoo, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I don't think so. I think my last ditch attempt was the day I went on leave, so a couple of weeks ago, when I emailed my line manager with a list of the work I had on, and which might need some support while I was away, and I also put, in writing, that my employer needed to do something about the workload, and that I was feeling desperate.

it is the fact that he didn't respond to that email - at all! - that was the last straw and is why I am sending this email today. Part of my legal case will be his failure to respond.

Oh, and while I was off, he sent an email to everyone else, arranging a meeting, in which he reported that I was on leave, so that it was only the "stalwarts" who were meeting. I don't know if he thinks the word means something else, but I have taken serious offence to that, and the two things together were my confirmation that I need to hand in my notice.

2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Have you spoken to your union rep about this situation?
    This was my thought too...I know you are exhausted and may not have anything more to give to this but as it stands it sounds like the work culture there needs to be challenged. I doubt your resignation email will do that... It needs to go through proper complaint channels I'd imagine.

Wish you all the best GT... Whatever happens this will all be a distant memory soon :)

Guineveretoo likes this.
  3. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

It seems you're certain it's the right thing to resign and it's fear of a conversation with your boss that is stopping you

What could you do to manage that part of the process?

4. Guineveretoo

Amazingly, since I work for a trade union, I don't have a union rep.

I have contacted my union official, but she has not responded as yet. I don't think there is anything they can do except provide legal advice on the constructive dismissal element. Because there is no workplace union, there is no collective support available.

5. ska invita

Go to a rep and come up with a formal complaint?

6. ska invita

:eek:

crossthebreeze and Guineveretoo like this.
  7. Guineveretoo

That's one of the things that is scaring me, and I am mitigating that by not emailing him, but the union President, and stating in that email that I wish the contact with my line manager to be managed to protect me.

I am mostly scared of not being in a job, and everything that that means.

8. ska invita

When did you contact the official?
    How long has it been?

9. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

This....is so true.

10. Guineveretoo

It is a very small organisation and I don't think I can stay there if I make a formal complaint.

My plan is to work my notice and then submit a constructive dismissal claim.

11. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

You say that you have 3 years worth of emails to your boss asking for support. Is that the same person, your line manager? If so, there clearly isn't a solution that involves him. In fact he is part of the problem.

Is this fixable by the organisation? What would a solution look like to you? What are you asking them to do to support you?

If I were you I would write a letter to the highest appropriate manager. Without casting blame (they will read between the lines anyway) explain that:

(a) you are unable to support the organisation properly because you are missing xyz
    (b) you have asked for support (attach representative emails over the 3 years)
    (c) you have not received the support you need and so you feel that the only option is resignation
    (d) you would rather not do so, and so you are giving the organisation 3 (?) months to sort this out
    (e) in that time you would like x to happen by [date], y to happen by [date] and to have feedback by [date] on whether z is possible (adjust depending on circumstances)

You are putting yourself back in control. If they cannot meet your timetable you can leave with your head held high.

12. Guineveretoo

I am not trying to involve her in helping me push the button - I only want them to prepare the legal advice and support.

13. Guineveretoo

This is really good advice, and is what I have been agonising over for the last few months.

I have concluded that it is not going to work for me to do this, and that I need to leave. I can't really explain why, but I promise that I have agonised over solutions which don't involve me taking the drastic action of handing in my notice.

14. Winot

OK well best of luck. And remember it's them that have failed not you.

muscovyduck, cupid_stunt, Sue and 4 others like this.
  15. ska invita

That sounds like a good way around it, but it seems to me it would be of some value to have had contact with the official first... At the very least it might add to your sense of what cards you have and give you confidence as a result.

A formal complaint can be scary and awkward, but I would want union advice about that before dismissing it.

*That said from reading the thread it sounds like you have thought it through, made your mind up and don't really want to change your plan anymore. In which case, good luck!! Fuck em.

16. Guineveretoo

Having had previous contact with the official, I know that she is less experienced than I am, and she certainly has less knowledge of my organisation that I do, since she has never had any contact with them except through me.

I am a little bit worried that she may try and persuade me not to do this but, if I don't do it now, I am convinced that I will end up going off sick, and be much worse off as a consequence.

I feel like I need to leave from a position of not being off sick, as it were, if at all possible.

I need support to press the send button.

I keep opening the email and hovering over it, but then panicking, and I can't really identify why.

17. ska invita

What do you want the letter to achieve?

18. Guineveretoo

Actually, she has emailed me asking for my mobile number, so I have given it to her, and will see if she phones me soon.

19. Winot

Set the email to go at midday today. Get some fresh air. You have sent it but not sent it. See how you feel.

muscovyduck and Guineveretoo like this.
  20. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

have you got a case for constructive dismissal ? may take a while but it might be worth looking into for loss of earnings etc

21. Guineveretoo

It is the first step to me leaving. I know I need to leave.

I think I am scared of coping with the leaving and with the having left, but I know I need to do it.

ska invita likes this.
  22. Guineveretoo

yes, I have a case for constructive dismissal. Although they are notoriously difficult to win, and don't tend to pay out much, so I am not relying on it.

23. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Is there a chance that once you've sent the email, they will try to persuade you not to leave?

24. Guineveretoo

Yes.

But there is also the possibility that they will ask me to leave immediately, if they think I am going to damage them, as it were.

25. pug

pug Well-Known Member

Maybe you could do some voluntary work which would open some new possibilities.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  26. Guineveretoo

Yep, been looking into that as well.

I recently gave up several voluntary posts because I simply didn't have the capacity for them! Also, I was asked a few months ago to apply to become a tribunal member, but didn't because I didn't have the capacity. Unfortunately, those vacancies only come up every few years.

27. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Money is not the end of the world, your health is more important. Its a tough decision, but being out of work MAY make you ill, staying in the job WILL make you ill.

28. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

What good and bad consequences will follow after the email?

29. Guineveretoo

Yeah, good analysis.

When I went through my old work emails to extract all the ones where I had complained about lack of support (in preparation for this, and in case they stopped my access to emails), it strengthened my resolve because it made me realise how I had been unhappy and stressed and overworked for such a long time.

30. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

my mum won one against a brewery she worked for when she was alive, this was a while back but she got costs and back pay, although it was quite stressful, but dont give up , no one should be forced out of their job because of some dickhead(s)

ska invita and Guineveretoo like this.