Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Aberystwyth

davesgcr

Reading books
The Angel Inn in Upper Darkgate Street was a regular place for me when i lived there (music pub with a venue at the back). Also The ‘Spoons next to the station (with a great curry house next door).
If you fancy going a bit further out (1/2 hrs walk) The Black Lion in Llandbadarn Fawr is a great little pub with a lovely beer garden at the back if the weathers good (nice food too).
The Angel "back bar" was quite famous locally. Smoking ban has removed options of a "free stone". :hmm:

hash tag

chillin
Sit on the left hand side leaving Aber for the best views over the valley. Might seem a bit tame to begin with , but it certainly improves as you climb. You can wave a the Rachel's Dairy Yoghurt Factory as you go. "Proper" hard core coal burning trains. Am envious. Plan to go in September.
We started at Devils Bridge, which was even better. A beautiful run down to Aber, with the hard working climb back. Great trip.

davesgcr

Reading books
IN my first year , due to the pathetic organisation of timetables - we had to run / walk very fast from the town -(grotty but cheap digs) , up to the Geography Dept for an 0900 start lecture with an obsessive Prof who would boot you out for an 0901 arrival. Cretin.

There was another timetable challenge to get from the 7th floor of the Llandinam Building to a lecture in the Old College in 15 mins - OK , downhill. Christ there were some nutter academics in those days- I was refused entry to one of those lectures for being maybe 5 mins late , so I went and saw this madwoman , who thought I had come to apologise. I just wish I had been more assertive then.

Still , had a great time - just wish I had done a bit more recreationally :hmm: - excellent place bar those 2 incidents.

Ming

Massive prawns
IN my first year , due to the pathetic organisation of timetables - we had to run / walk very fast from the town -(grotty but cheap digs) , up to the Geography Dept for an 0900 start lecture with an obsessive Prof who would boot you out for an 0901 arrival. Cretin.

There was another timetable challenge to get from the 7th floor of the Llandinam Building to a lecture in the Old College in 15 mins - OK , downhill. Christ there were some nutter academics in those days- I was refused entry to one of those lectures for being maybe 5 mins late , so I went and saw this madwoman , who thought I had come to apologise. I just wish I had been more assertive then.

Still , had a great time - just wish I had done a bit more recreationally :hmm: - excellent place bar those 2 incidents.
Three of my oldest mates went to the Uni (two library and information systems and one English literature (i think)). And i kind of ended up there by accident (first successful job interview after i qualified as a nurse). I always go back when i’m back in the UK.

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
Nice to see those shots of Aber - I was a postgrad student at CLW in 1981/2. Place has changed a bit ...

Not one for much drinking (self-funding before that become normal) but I did indulge myself in a few trips on the VoR (it was still BR then).
I have a few happy memories / annecdotes ...

davesgcr

Reading books
Nice to see those shots of Aber - I was a postgrad student at CLW in 1981/2. Place has changed a bit ...

Not one for much drinking (self-funding before that become normal) but I did indulge myself in a few trips on the VoR (it was still BR then).
I have a few happy memories / annecdotes ...
We ought to try and plan an U75 gathering up in that there NW corner of Wales , bit of railways , bit of walking - bit of local support to the economy. (thinking of pubs here)

It will never happen - but a nice idea.

hash tag

chillin
Travel Here by road is not brilliant, but a nightmare from anywhere by train. A gathering here would be exceptional.

davesgcr

Reading books
I just found out about this, Very sad news. Peter will be greatly missed, but the VoR will become a splendid legacy.
The railway today is in splendid condition - most impressed with all aspects , especially the careful tree felling to open up lost scenic views. Peter did a very good job. (as indeed the staff did and continue to do so)

Poor old BR had no cash for the VoR , the local PW gang used to nick ballast destined for the "main line" to patch it up , and local staff used to spread the word by delivering timetable etc materials voluntarily to hotels , caravan parks etc to keep the numbers up. As a student , we were "stakeholders" - and sat in on the 6 monthly formal meetings -where any ideas etc we had were kindly listened to. Of course, a few students ended up as BR management ........:thumbs:

hash tag

chillin
The VoR looks in good shape. Brand new workshops down at Aber looked impressive, nice little ticket office & shop at either end. Carriages and engines certainly look good. Views along the way to die for. What's not to like.

davesgcr

Reading books
The VoR looks in good shape. Brand new workshops down at Aber looked impressive, nice little ticket office & shop at either end. Carriages and engines certainly look good. Views along the way to die for. What's not to like.
They also have plans to convert the ex main line loco shed into a major narrow gauge railway museum. Excellent stuff.

Maybe we could persuade Stoneroad to take it on as a project ?

hash tag

chillin
Theres a point, why can't Aber have one joined up station like Alton on the Watercress or East Grinstead on the Bluebell. It would make so much more sense for visitors.