Aberystwyth

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Obnoxiousness, Feb 1, 2010.

1. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The Angel "back bar" was quite famous locally. Smoking ban has removed options of a "free stone". :hmm:

Ming likes this.
  2. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

What’s the name of that bar down by the marina? That’s a good one.

3. hash tag

hash tag member

First stop in Wales
    IMAG1302.jpg
    IMAG1301.jpg

mwgdrwg, kebabking, Ming and 5 others like this.
  4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Very nice indeed , and a spotless no 8. We were allowed to clean the brasswork and plates etc on the fleet on a Saturday afternoon in the 1970's , for which we got some free travel on the line. We never , ever got to this level of perfection though.

kebabking likes this.
  5. hash tag

hash tag member

Really liked the open carriages full the steam and Smuts experience. Beautiful line.

kebabking, Celyn and davesgcr like this.
  6. hash tag

hash tag member

Have now connected to decent Wi-Fi, in Medina's which is a great place, great food, great staff.
    IMAG1319.jpg IMAG1323.jpg

kebabking, Ming, davesgcr and 5 others like this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag member

Celyn likes this.
  8. hash tag

hash tag member

We started at Devils Bridge, which was even better. A beautiful run down to Aber, with the hard working climb back. Great trip.

davesgcr and Celyn like this.
  9. hash tag

hash tag member

10. hash tag

hash tag member

11. Callie

Callie Pivoting

More pics! I want to see all of Aber. Go to the harbour to look for otters!

hash tag and davesgcr like this.
  12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

IN my first year , due to the pathetic organisation of timetables - we had to run / walk very fast from the town -(grotty but cheap digs) , up to the Geography Dept for an 0900 start lecture with an obsessive Prof who would boot you out for an 0901 arrival. Cretin.

There was another timetable challenge to get from the 7th floor of the Llandinam Building to a lecture in the Old College in 15 mins - OK , downhill. Christ there were some nutter academics in those days- I was refused entry to one of those lectures for being maybe 5 mins late , so I went and saw this madwoman , who thought I had come to apologise. I just wish I had been more assertive then.

Still , had a great time - just wish I had done a bit more recreationally :hmm: - excellent place bar those 2 incidents.

kebabking and Ming like this.
  13. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Used to be a great pub called the Castle down there - now probably gentrified to fuck. BTW - superb second hand bookshop not too far away , towards the proper Castle. You NEED to go there.

flypanam and Celyn like this.
  14. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Three of my oldest mates went to the Uni (two library and information systems and one English literature (i think)). And i kind of ended up there by accident (first successful job interview after i qualified as a nurse). I always go back when i’m back in the UK.

15. hash tag

hash tag member

No seals yet today.
    IMAG1338.jpg IMAG1339.jpg IMAG1343.jpg

16. hash tag

hash tag member

Bridge from Uni to accommodation and our accommodation. Mrs T is here on a library, information and systems conference. Im guessing this might be after some of you people's time IMAG1344.jpg IMAG1345.jpg

kebabking, friedaweed and Ming like this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag member

Met Andy today, who had interesting opinions. Will go looking for seals to shoot tomorrow. In me a time, waiting for dinner in Hinterland

davesgcr likes this.
  18. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

When you get the weather , Wales is unbeatable. Nice shot.

Callie likes this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag member

A nice shot here is not difficult.

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Nice to see those shots of Aber - I was a postgrad student at CLW in 1981/2. Place has changed a bit ...

Not one for much drinking (self-funding before that become normal) but I did indulge myself in a few trips on the VoR (it was still BR then).
    I have a few happy memories / annecdotes ...

hash tag and davesgcr like this.
  21. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

We ought to try and plan an U75 gathering up in that there NW corner of Wales , bit of railways , bit of walking - bit of local support to the economy. (thinking of pubs here)

It will never happen - but a nice idea.

Plumdaff, kebabking, Celyn and 3 others like this.
  22. hash tag

hash tag member

StoneRoad likes this.
  23. hash tag

hash tag member

Travel Here by road is not brilliant, but a nightmare from anywhere by train. A gathering here would be exceptional.

24. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

25. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The railway today is in splendid condition - most impressed with all aspects , especially the careful tree felling to open up lost scenic views. Peter did a very good job. (as indeed the staff did and continue to do so)

Poor old BR had no cash for the VoR , the local PW gang used to nick ballast destined for the "main line" to patch it up , and local staff used to spread the word by delivering timetable etc materials voluntarily to hotels , caravan parks etc to keep the numbers up. As a student , we were "stakeholders" - and sat in on the 6 monthly formal meetings -where any ideas etc we had were kindly listened to. Of course, a few students ended up as BR management ........:thumbs:

hash tag likes this.
  26. hash tag

hash tag member

The VoR looks in good shape. Brand new workshops down at Aber looked impressive, nice little ticket office & shop at either end. Carriages and engines certainly look good. Views along the way to die for. What's not to like.

27. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

They also have plans to convert the ex main line loco shed into a major narrow gauge railway museum. Excellent stuff.

Maybe we could persuade Stoneroad to take it on as a project ?

Celyn likes this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag member

Theres a point, why can't Aber have one joined up station like Alton on the Watercress or East Grinstead on the Bluebell. It would make so much more sense for visitors.

29. hash tag

hash tag member

Ming likes this.