Aberystwyth

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Obnoxiousness, Feb 1, 2010.

1. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

Walk the length of the prom and kick the bar.

The gorge at Devils Bridge is a nice walk.

nogojones, hash tag and editor like this.
  2. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Big starling murmurations around the pier at dusk :) if you like birds. Watch out for poopings though.

Celyn and hash tag like this.
  3. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Lived and worked there for 5 years. Love the place. Alabama 3 played the Borth festival one year. Harbour Mouth Trap’s a great surf break when it’s on. Loads of great pubs and cafes (for the FWB). I had a couple of mates down from Liverpool and we were looking in all the bakeries for that lava bread. Didn’t find any (in the bakeries).

Celyn likes this.
  4. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

:D. But did you find any volcanoes?

Ming likes this.
  5. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

It's fun how many here seem to have lived in Aberystwyth. :)

davesgcr and Ming like this.
  6. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

That’s totally true. ‘So excuse me mate...have you got any lava bread????’...(reply) ‘no try the health food shop’.
    I have had the bacon, cockles, lava bread with oatmeal cakes thing though (delicious).

7. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

It’s weird. Two of my oldest friends did library and information systems at the Uni and another life pal (who i met in London in the 90’s) did Literature.

8. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I did a postgrad Dip. Lib. at CLW/CLC in Llanbadarn in 1984. Later it merged with/was taken over by the university. I returned there some years later as it seemed a good way to get out of London. Never did submit thesis because I had taken a library job nearby instead. Slightly silly of me, but what the hell.

It was a bit alarming one morning to find a very big confused seagull in my kitchen.

kebabking, davesgcr and Ming like this.
  9. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Red Kites in the hills (there is a feeding place somewhere up there where you can observe - from a safe distance) , and real Black Adders on the bog at Tregaron

Ynyslas - the tip of land north of Borth has stunning beaches and a great view over the estuary to Aberdovey - massive peat bog. (you can tell I did Geography - but a B.A) , watch out for adders in the dunes though.

Never visited , but need to - the Centre for Alternative Technology (been there for many years) , the short Corris Railway , Aberllenfenni slate village (the whole lot was up for sale fairly recently)

Am I doing a hard enough sell ?

The station has a decent enough Spoons (yes ..I know) and a tidy Curry House.

Callie, Celyn and kebabking like this.
  10. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The ritual of "kicking the bar" goes way back to the early days of the University.

If you ask the porters nicely , (enter via the impressive arch in Pier Street / Laura Place at the back of the building) - you can have a look around the Old College - parts of it are very run down and as a student we had some lectures there , still partly in use but on the cusp of change as there are plans for huge revamp , if they can match Lottery funding , which will remove the sad but authentic feel of academia and decay.

kebabking and hiccup like this.
  11. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

Ha, I did Geography B.A. at Aber too.

editor and davesgcr like this.
  12. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

Spent a year there, doing my post grad in ILS. Lovely place, have been aching to get back and see it again.

Callie and editor like this.
  13. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Riklet, hash tag and editor like this.
  14. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree I care not for the wealth of Gyges

Celyn likes this.
  15. hash tag

hash tag member

I think we are visiting for a few days mid to late July. I also think we might be staying in the halls of residence (tied up with a conference).

16. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Ah, July, glorious mid-summer.

Take an umbrella.

:D

kebabking likes this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag member

18. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Lovely place hash tag , you'll love it.

Check out this thread as well if you have wheels. It's not too far to visit some of the recommendations on the thread.

Tell me of Barmouth.

hash tag likes this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag member

Well it's all booked for next week....pubs. Any decent pubs where they "welcome English folk", where I can get a decent pint and decent veggie food for Mrs t.
    A cursory check admittedly, but the choices do not look brilliant; will we have to travel out a bit?

editor likes this.
  20. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The "Welsh" pub to avoid , is the Coopers at the bottom of the vicious climb to the University. In my experience , another one to avoid is the Vale of Rheidol (very "local") , most if not all of the others are fine and welcoming pubs.

Borth , if you fancy a good walk / hike on the coastal path (and come back by train or bus) - has the excellent Railway and the Salutation - check out the Aberystwyth Pubs Guide blog - a bit out of date, but a good read. Excellent details on out of town pubs - the one at Capel Bangor has a the smallest brewery in Wales (if not the UK) , and if you fancy a run up to the hills in the footsteps of NIall Griffiths , then the Druids at Ponterwyd has a very good reputation.

Aber has a decent enough range of good places to eat in any case.

kebabking and hash tag like this.
  21. hash tag

hash tag member

A visit to the heritage railway with a trip to Devils Bridge is top of my list...

22. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

hash tag likes this.
  23. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Superb bakeries also , and fish and chips if that is what you want. Cheap as chips also.

24. hash tag

hash tag member

25. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Sit on the left hand side leaving Aber for the best views over the valley. Might seem a bit tame to begin with , but it certainly improves as you climb. You can wave a the Rachel's Dairy Yoghurt Factory as you go. "Proper" hard core coal burning trains. Am envious. Plan to go in September.

hash tag likes this.
  26. hash tag

hash tag member

We know of Rachel's :thumbs: Did not know they were here. Brilliant sage advice and thanks. Was thinking of walking one way and training the other, or maybe train 3 times and walk once :eek:

27. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

To Borth ? - would reccomend walking out over the cliff path (you can cheat by taking the quirky Cliff Railway to the top of Constitution Hill (epic views over the town of Aber) - and a simple enough walk down to Clarach and a modest hike up to the next section and a refreshing break in Borth. Used to do it some evenings in early summer. Borth is a bit "alternative" and you might be able to see the exposed primeval forest in the bay that was exposed earlier this year.

For all this information , your writer demands some nice photos . Please. :D

kebabking and hash tag like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag member

Sure. Some have been promised to Mrs T already, especially of the railway.
    (I return to night shifts at work on my return though :eek:).

davesgcr likes this.
  29. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

The Angel Inn in Upper Darkgate Street was a regular place for me when i lived there (music pub with a venue at the back). Also The ‘Spoons next to the station (with a great curry house next door).
    If you fancy going a bit further out (1/2 hrs walk) The Black Lion in Llandbadarn Fawr is a great little pub with a lovely beer garden at the back if the weathers good (nice food too).

davesgcr and hash tag like this.
  30. Ming

Ming Massive prawns