Aberystwyth

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Obnoxiousness, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

Haven't been there for a while. Is it still the main mid-Wales tourist resort it used to be? Anyone recommend somewhere for a short holiday or any tourist info for that part of the world?

2. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Are you going by car? If you are Aber is an excellent base camp - from there you can visit lots of lovely little beaches, round the coast and other places :D

sorry i sort of ran out of steam on that one - theres loads to do round that way but i guess it depends when youre going and what sort of stuff you want to do when youre there.

I really really want to go back, was there at uni. Its on my list :)

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

borth's a nice place to be based for a holiday :)

4. Obnoxiousness

Obnoxiousness >-->))).>

Thanks Callie. :)

I visited Borth once, it seemed to have a lot of mobile homes, all protected by a rather steep sea wall and stony beach. The amusement arcade and chip shop seem to be all I can remember about the rest of the place.

5. Callie

Callie Pivoting

Borth ANIMALARIUM!!!! yesyesyes

6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I was in charge of noise level enforcement at the Square Festival in Borth last year, one of the things I had to do was check that the animals weren't being unduly disturbed :D

Enviro likes this.
  7. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I hope Geoffrey's cat was ok :( did the porcupine get some earplugs?!

8. hash tag

hash tag member

Please tell me I haven't gone and done something really stoopid by agreeing to accompany Mrs tag to Aberystwyth for a few days, during
    most of which time, I shall be looking to entertain myself ( a total shock for me ordinarily ) but Aberystwyth?
    Will I be really stuck?

9. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

You could seek the holy grail. And look at dolphins.

friedaweed and Callie like this.
  10. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

A few days sounds like a few days minus one day too many. But have car will travel/explore nearby?

(It's got a nice ruined castle overlooking the sea, and....erm....)

11. editor

editor hiraethified

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. Pickman's model

the uni used to have a good bar. and there's lots of pubs in the town. so you should be able to find something to occupy yourself with.

13. editor

editor hiraethified

There's the Vale of Rheidol Railway for starters. And the cliff railway, Amgueddfa Ceredigion Museum, Devil's Bridge, National Library of Wales and, of course, the pier!

Callie, Celyn, hash tag and 1 other person like this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag member

Will have car, can drive (disclaimer, not used to little country lanes :eek:)

15. Pickman's model

how do you do with steep hills?

Callie, existentialist and Celyn like this.
  16. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

It's absolutely lovely around there. The town itself is rather nice, and it's a good base for walking and hiking, daytrips to New Quay, Aberaeron, Machynlleth, Barmouth etc, there's loads of beautiful countryside, the aforementioned train trip. More than enough to enjoy for a few days.

Celyn, kebabking, Callie and 2 others like this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag member

I have not even heard of some of those places, yet alone have a clue where they are :eek:
    We have steep hills here in town, not many granted, but some.

18. planetgeli

If nowhere else make it to New Quay (beware steep hill to park on but gorgeous) and Aberaeron (a seaside-ish version of my nearest town, Llandeilo - lovely painted houses). For more adventure head inland to Devils Bridge and beyond in the mountains. I only meant one day is enough for Aber itself. Plenty to do to kill a few days around there.

19. hash tag

hash tag member

PS. I am liking the love people show for this place.
    According to wiki Aberystwyth has a population of 13,000. My little part of town (not my borough even) has a population of 73,000, but it will have grown considerable since the count in 2011 :eek:

20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

There's also Llanbadarn Fawr, where St. Padarn made the earth open up a big hole to swallow King Arthur, and Arthur had to say how very sorry he was for wanting to steal Padarn's nice tunic.

See, dead cultural and interesting! :D Nah, don't bother visiting it, really, but it's a good story. Don't mess with St. Padarn! :)

kebabking and hash tag like this.
  21. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Not too far from Aberystwyth is Ysbyty Cynfyn, with its churchyard wall that includes standing stones.

kebabking and hash tag like this.
  22. Callie

Callie Pivoting

It's a studenty town with tourists in the summer. There'll be loads to do!

Although i guess it depends what sort of things you might want to do?

hash tag likes this.
  23. Callie

Callie Pivoting

hash tag likes this.
  24. Callie

Callie Pivoting

25. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The Welsh assembly's decision not to fund home university students (like in Scotland) is really hurting the university (and Swansea University). They are finding it hard to attract students and that's going to get acute over the next couple of years as there is a demographic pinch.

hash tag likes this.
  26. planetgeli

What do you mean by this? Home university students in Wales have always had their fees subsidised by the Assembly. At least they used to I thought.

Edit. I may be years out of date,or completely wrong.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  27. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Oh yeah.. Just had a look and they do get some grants. But the fees are basically the same as England (£250 a year less).

28. Pickman's model

Aber's got a famous library school, I think they do distance learning degrees

29. Callie

Callie Pivoting

If I go back to Aberystwyth, which I would like to do I'm gonna go look for otters in the harbour.

Celyn likes this.
  30. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The Biarritz of Wales - biased as I spent 3 years there as a student. Great place in the summer - wonderful sunsets and decent mix of pubs for all interests. Victorian architecture a plenty - nice harbour and a good local bookshop. You can walk over the cliffs to Borth , and come back on the train.(Borth being a very quirky place ! - interesting pubs to say the least) ....

Worth a trip out to Tregaron and Strata Florida for the ruined abbey. Well covered book wise by Niall Griffiths - "Grits" -the end of the railway from the rest of the UK , and to some people gratefully so.

Need to get out there , and dig into the treasures of the National Library.