Aberystwyth to Carmarthen line reopening proposed by Traws Link Cymru

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jan 18, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's certainly a bold proposal but one that would make a huge difference to the area: http://www.trawslinkcymru.org.uk/?page_id=48

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nice little vid:

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

A bit of pre-election posturing I suspect - words are free , - as a seasoned railwayman and Welshman , I can 100% say "no chance" .........the line carried about a 100 people each way in its heyday....(unless of course a special tax was raised to fund it) , this when the Welsh NHS has had budget cuts and so on.

4. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Plenty of more densely populated places in the country (including Wales) without a train service, can't see this ever happening.

5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

A sensible option would be to rebuild Afon Wen - Caernarfon - Menai Bridge (for Bangor) - bigger population quota and would link the beautiful , but slow Cambrian Coast to the much faster access to that there London and Brum / North West etc. The top NE corner of Wales......

Often wonder what / if would have happened had the Vale of Rheidol built their planned extension from Aber to Aberaeron via Llanarth along the coast. Now that would be a great scenic ride. Had they done so , I suspect it would have like many French Rural "Lignes locale" - died in the 1930's. .......

SikhWarrioR likes this.
  6. SikhWarrioR

SikhWarrioR And the Worms ate into his brain

Like the now revived Welsh Highland ? anyway any Rail reopening is good especially if they use loco hauled stock or put decent sized luggage compartments on the units for bikes etc like the first gen DMUs had even the single cars And a vastly better investment than the £125bn they are gonna spunk on Great Britain's new Maginot Line the Trident replacement

muscovyduck and editor like this.
  7. The campaign group have accidentally left a lot of ipsum lorem on their webpages which makes them hard to read

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

It would be great, but even in Welsh terms there would be far better uses to which half a billion pounds could be put. Electrifying (as part of the Merseyrail network) the Borderlands route and rebuilding the Denbigh - Chester line as a part of it, for instance.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Depends in where you live, of course.

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  11. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

It does, and in an ideal world we could have both (and the rest of the schemes to rebuild routes that should never have been closed) - but in terms of getting people off buses and out of their cars and onto the train, quite a bit more would be achieved in North-East Wales and the Wirral than in Aberystwyth and Camarthen.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't see it as an either/or choice. You're certainly already better served by public transport in the Wirral than you are west of Carmarthen.

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

NIce idea , but far greater issues elsewhere in Wales , notably the Valleys where the desire to electrify and further develop the Network is somewhat buggered by the go ahead not being given yet , and the present train fleet of 142 and 143 sets lose their accessibility rating in 2020. Cost around £700 million. No derogation , no trains - period.

All very well having aspirations , but the "day job" ought to come first. Even more so . one ought to contribute to areas where there are people. This is just political Plaid / Labour political posturing.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I can't see it happening but it would be a major boost to the areas, particularly for tourism. I'd love to travel the line.

[​IMG]

More: Why the West Wales Line might not be a pipedream

existentialist likes this.