1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aberfan - 40 years on, Children of the Valley TV doc

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Oct 16, 2006.

1. butchersapron

butchersapron bring back hanging

Never heard of it before, but seems to be on 120.

2. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8

If anyone could link me to it so I can watch it later in the week I'd be very grateful.

Aberfan is one of the first memories I have of a UK disaster. I remember JFK, and Churchill funeral but nothing like this. My father always made us watch big events, the moon landing, England winning the world cup etc. He believed it was important. But not this. He said it was too much. He was right in some ways, but I saw it in the papers. It still upsets me today.

3. butchersapron

Bump for this - performance on at 7-30.

4. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Aberfan was just about two months after my tenth birthday, some of those kids would have been the same age as me ...
    I try not to think about it too much, most years I get away without too much distress. But these major anniversaries get me blubbing.

E2A - I'm from Bristol, originally - that's one of the places that supplied coffins for the child victims.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  5. butchersapron

Don't know if anyone watched it but that was powerful stuff - the piece where the different choirs sang out the names of the dead whilst another one and BT sang Buried alive by the National Coal Board ( part 6 i think) was brilliant.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It still resonates deeply with me. I've never been able to shake off the sadness and the anger.

7. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Carpe Diem!

I recall as a nine year old all the adults crying on the awful day, I remember our bread rounds man Alan sobbing on my mums' shoulder on the Saturday morning. We lived in a mining village in South Yorkshire and many of our close neighbours who moved from Wales to work in our local mines had family or friends around Aberfan.
    So sad, I have a heavy heart just typing this. The worst thing I saw as a child.

editor likes this.
  8. butchersapron

Here.

existentialist likes this.
  9. dessiato

Thank you. It won't work in Spain at the moment. I'll get my VPN running and try again. But thank you very much for this.

10. ginger_syn

ginger_syn >¿✴

A heads up for any one interested , Surviving Aberfan is on BBC 4 at 9 tonight, and the film poem The Green Hollow being shown on Friday at 9 on BBC1 Wales and BBC4 on Sunday at 8.

11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

It is just after 0915 on 21st October 2016 - I, and some friends, have observed a minutes silence for the 144 people, including 116 children, buried alive by the NCB when tip7 at Aberfan collapsed and buried Pant Glas school and surrounding houses in coal waste and tailings slurry.
    Rest yn Heddwch
    Tonight, and over this weekend, we will fly - in mourning - our Welsh courtesy flag and the red duster will be at half mast.

planetgeli, Celyn and crossthebreeze like this.
  12. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Aber-fan

I Hamelin erstalwm,
    Os yw’r hen stori’n ffaith,
    Fe ddaeth rhyw bibydd rhyfedd
    Yn gwisgo mantel fraith.

A’r pibydd creulon hwnnw
    A aeth â’r plant i gyd
    A’u cloi, yn ôl yr hanes,
    O fewn y mynydd mud.

A Hamelin oedd ddistaw
    A’r holl gartrefi’n brudd,
    A mawr fu’r galar yno
    Tros lawer nos a dydd.

Distawodd chwerthin llawen
    Y plant wrth chwarae ’nghyd,
    Pob tegan bach yn segur,
    A sŵn pob troed yn fud.

Trist iawn fu hanes colli
    Y plant diniwed, gwan –
    Yn Hamelin erstalwm,
    Heddiw yn Aber-fan.

[T. Llew Jones]

existentialist, Plumdaff and ddraig like this.
  13. High Voltage

High Voltage Bring on t'dancing girls & put t'champagne on ice

Bloody hell - I can "just" remember this, I would have been about 5 and I think Blue Peter did their annual collection for the children, I think, of Aberfan - we didn't have a TV at home at the time, so I don't know why I've got black and white TV images in my head, but I have, vague images that I didn't really understand at the time, I knew it was bad, but I just didn't comprehend the true horror of what had happened

My thoughts are with those who lost anyone in this disaster

ElizabethofYork likes this.
  14. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

I've just seen this on the BBC website. It's very moving.

Aberfan

Red Cat likes this.
  15. planetgeli

planetgeli Well-Known Member

My school in Wales too held a special assembly and a minute's silence at 9.15 today for those who died. I hope every school in the UK did so too for this was a truly national tragedy, a tragedy designed by the National Coal Board who behaved despicably in the aftermath.

There are no words. Perhaps silence and remembrance is all we have.

16. butchersapron

Just to say again, the piece i talked about that week is here. A great piece for people to watch tonight. Maybe.

17. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I had a paper round. Cold morning, early, front page of the Daily Sketch, people in tears. And all the others I suppose but that's the one I remember.

Seeing the pictures over and again at every house, knowing how those the other side of the letterbox would receive it.

RIP

davesgcr likes this.
  18. planetgeli

planetgeli Well-Known Member

That is horribly beautiful(ly written) and worth quoting again even though you wrote it ten years ago. I just read it to my partner and it made us both cry.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was the same age as many of the victims. As a child I remember the great, great sadness that the disaster cast over everyone and everything and it's still impossible to talk about it or watch documentaries about it without feeling tears well up. And fuck the NCB. Not one cunt lost their job over this outrage and the families were cheated out of the money that was so generously donated.

20. butchersapron

Would anyone have any info or experience of the school boycotts that took place in the weeks/ months after the 21st?

21. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

That was beautiful. Really great.

22. ginger_syn

ginger_syn >¿✴

The Green Hollow was a beautiful piece, simply done and very moving and well worth watching.

Plumdaff likes this.
  23. butchersapron

There's another program about the making of the work, what it meant to the writers/performers/community etc at the bottom here.

24. dessiato

That's hard to read. I had tears in my eyes reading it.

25. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

I'll watch that. Thanks.

26. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Indeed. I defy anyone to read that and not feel emotional.

dessiato likes this.
  27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

rage as much as sadness. The shit they do to us. For what, another 0 on the end of the numbers in the bank balance.