1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A380 loses part of an engine

Discussion in 'transport' started by HAL9000, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

An A380 Pilot wrote a thing about how it will be done

A380 and EastEnder like this.
  2. 2hats

2hats 3hats when in consumermas forum

3. 2hats

An An-124 is currently taking a spare EA GP7200 engine from Dubai (liberated from Emirate’s A380 pool) to Goose Bay via Paris, due in Goose Bay tomorrow. On Saturday it will fly the failed engine, which has already been removed from the AF A380, to GE’s Cardiff engine facility for a full analysis. The AF A380-800 will be flown back to Paris in early December running on 3 engines with this new engine as ballast.
    an124.png

e2a: now (1600Fri24Nov) in Goose Bay. Engine may have come from EA's pool and not necessarily Emirates.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    A380 and T & P like this.
  4. 2hats

The A380 is now back in Paris (landed at Charles de Gaulle a couple of hours ago). The new engine was actually fitted and running for the flight so no 3 engine ferry in the end.
    AFR371V.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    A380 likes this.
  5. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I had no doubts about the frame in question making it without incident tbh. Modern airliners have so many redundancy systems built in that flying without one engine must be child's play.

And after the massive damage the Qantas A380 took when one of its engines blew up and which yet did not prevent the plane from flying on and landing safely, the model seems pretty sturdy and reliable to me.

6. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

A380 likes this.
  7. 2hats

ANA had problems with their 787 Trent 1000’s the summer before last and RR had started a programme of replacing them (primarily fan blade issues, I think it was).

A380 likes this.