A world without Maplins...

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Feb 28, 2018.

1. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox working on it

John Shuttleworth used to work in Tandy. A kindred spirit.

gentlegreen likes this.
  2. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Oh oh but.

Let’s put the nostalgia gizmo into effect (it probably never even worked even in the shop FFS)...

...Maplin was originally mail order.

It was, paraphrasing Bill Bailey, the catalogue of dreams. As an eight year old, several pages of transistors, never mind a whole kit build of a (probably terrible) amplifier.

There was this idea you could make stuff. And it would all magically arrive from somewhere near Southend.

In the full circle, it’s like Maplin have been killed by their inner being.

3. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I remember buying this catalogue with pocket money...:thumbs:

A380, gawkrodger, danski and 7 others like this.
  4. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I think I only went to a Maplin a couple of times, and not for years, just wasn't somewhere I went for stuff.

5. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

OMFG

This brings back memories. I think every Maplin catalog was futuristic back then?

Back in the day of hobbyist electronics, it was proper wow.

A380 likes this.
  6. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

The Toysrus out-of-town sheds killed off the traditional high street toyshop, so what goes around comes around I guess, although shit for the staff. Plus the backwards 'R' used to rub my aspergersness up the wrong way. Fuck any shop that replaces words with letters or numbers.

William of Walworth and TopCat like this.
  7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

true ....a generation experienced the partial death of the small independent, i wonder if we are about to witness the partial death of the retail park?

8. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I think we are, although I do like them for the convenience of being able to park close to a store like Argos/Wilkos etc when you want to get something heavy.

What we'll probably see is a number of retailers move into the massive spaces left by the likes of Toys R Us that will literally turn into a sort of Argos click and collect service.

9. tim

tim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. ska invita

11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Argos?

Boo. I like Argos. It's like Amazon but take-away. And take-back. Just walk it back if you don't like it. Same as Amazon, but who ever bothers mailing stuff back?

Is Argos going down though? Our local one has been spruced up.

12. cybershot

No most the closed ones, were moved into nearby Sainsburys.

13. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Maplin used to be great some years ago, we would never go anywhere else, the one here became a no-go area because a lot of the staff were so condescending.

Did it get taken over?

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I think someone bought it circa 2014 but I havent checked my facts.

15. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Was it the usual modern-day style of takeover where they loot the pension fund, squirrel it away offshore, put the house in the wife's name then stand there shrugging while it all goes down the toilet?

16. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

17. ska invita

thats my local one too! they did have some stock though yeah most often ordered for next day pick up. That argos is gone and now i fear for that homebase too.
    good now and then pictures here you might like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats the ravensbourne river flowing in there IIRC

pesh likes this.
  18. cheesethief

The retail sector is racking its brains trying to find ways to counter the decline on the highstreet, and usually failing badly. Lots of ill conceived, short lived ideas, but nothing that comes close to addressing the elephant in the room: Cheap online goods, delivered the next - or even the same - day. It's as simple as that really - the era of traditional highstreet shopping is coming to a close. Some places will adapt & survive, many more won't.

Slo-mo likes this.
  19. ska invita

20. Dieselpunk2000

Dieselpunk2000 Well-Known Member

21. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

The only high street shops I ever find of interest are the electrical/tech ones, so I'll miss having a wander round from time to time to check out the budget audio gear and occasionally interesting tech I may not have come across before. I've definitely found them useful if needing to get a power lead or something at short notice, but have to admit for anything non-urgent I'd have bought online. The staff were usually quite helpful in my experience.

ETA. I also like Robert Dyas for general browsing at 'stuff' - I hope they don't go under, because that only leaves Poundland then.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  22. cheesethief

This thread's brought back so many memories... hours spent flicking through the huge catalogues, seeing lots of weird components & wondering what on earth they were used for, waiting ages for stuff to arrive then it turning up in massive jiffy bags, laboriously going through all the little packs of widgets & ticking off each against the invoice to see what they'd forgotten...

Almost makes me want to dig out my old soldering iron & stink the house out building something that'll never quite work as advertised. Happy days...:cool:

23. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

:D :D

TopCat likes this.
  24. Sea Star

Sea Star peace and love; peace and love

I used to get asked several times in one visit sometimes. I even used to try to avoid their staff. I found it off putting to say the least.

chandlerp likes this.
  25. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

Arogs are opening a bunch of new depots where you can order what you want online then go and collect it straight away. Not a bad idea and the depots are all going to be in easily accessible industrial estates so you won't need to go to a Sainsbury or an Argos store to collect.

Whether or not it works out for them remains to be seen. They've spent a LOT on the new depots and they are putting them in loads of places in the UK so it could bankrupt them if it all goes wrong.

26. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

'easily accessible' by car only I presume?

pesh likes this.
  27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I think Argos have a same day home delivery thing going on too, figuring they can beat Amazon to this by using their existing infrastructure (while Amazon roll the same day stuff out more slowly ie major cities first)

28. cybershot

Argos, curry’s and amazon seem to have a bit of a pricing war going on as well. Nearly all will be the same price and copy each other if one reduces. Which is good.

I do like going into curries to look at the TVs and even the fridges/laptops when deciding what to buy and ultimately buying online. (Sometimes from curry’s) so would be gutted more so if they vanished.

29. MrSpikey

MrSpikey Well-Known Member

I had a Saturday job at the original store back in the day. They required a decent level of technical knowledge even for a part-time job like that - my interview consisted of quick-fire questions on resistor colour codes and mental calculations of aspects of a series of circuit diagrams. All my co-workers at the time knew their stuff inside out. (I didn't last long in the job, as the pay was shit and the managers were wankers.)

Visiting their outlets these days, there doesn't seem to be the same kind of broad knowledge in all staff members, but they were generally clued up and I found there was always at least one who could answer my most obscure questions.

All the best to those workers getting shafted by this.

30. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

I suppose the thing is that people clued-up on electronics will generally have landed themselves non-retail jobs.