1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thread of wrestling

Discussion in 'general sports' started by kained&able, Jan 9, 2010.

1. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

So big changes in the world of wrestling this week. With lots of opportunity to geek out and who knows the monday night wars might be back on!!

Tna is now partly owned by Hogan who paraded his friends across our screens, which was fairly cool, hopefully they wont be there for too long though and TNA can get back to doing what it does best. Lots of people doing flip dives! Looks like TNA will be getting bigger sooner, lets just hope everyone has learned thier lessons from the WCW days. It has some amazing perfromers and amazing womens divsion and actually caters for roughly what i want to watch, which is nice.

WWE responded by bringing bret hart back for a month or so. Loved the stuff with shawn, the stuff with Vince was silly though.

Tis exciting times to be a wrestling fan.

Anyone going to any of the TNA events laters this month?? Reckon i'm heading to Cov. Shuld be a laugh.

dave

gareth taylor likes this.
  2. Forum Lout

Forum Lout Innit

That pretentious shite doesn't interest me.

3. handy1

handy1 A certain Man U fan ; )

Sorry mate,biggest load of shite ever.:(

4. Cid

Cid 请等一下

You do know it's all fake don't you? :hmm:

5. turing test

turing test Nearly Toowrong

6. al

al window licker

Of course it's fixed (in the sense that the results are decided beforehand), however those that offhandedly pooh-pooh it might think differently if they watched "Beyond the mat" - a very good documentary...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Mat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218043/

7. Sesquipedalian

Sesquipedalian Banned Banned

Has anyone got a link to the 2010 Female World Mud Wrestling Championships ?

tonysingh likes this.
  8. liquidlunch

liquidlunch fargonebeauty

9. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Surely this should be in the teenage entertainments forum. Or surely this play acting stuff is more similar to football than most other sports.

This is no more a sport than synchronised donkey arranging. There's skill in getting those asses to move mind.

10. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

yehyehyeh... gymnastics isn't a sport either, it's just people dancing :rolleyes:

I haven't watched wrestling in ages, ever since WWE brought back the ECW brand and did a big brown shit on it, just to piss off all the original fans. So k&a, what's the deal with Brett Hart returning? Is he gonna feud with Shawn, are they bringing back the whole screw-job angle or how are they playing it out?

And what good could possibly come of Hogan putting his name to anything, least of all TNA which needs to cut loose the old-timers once & for all if they're to ever compete.

11. 100% masahiko

100% masahiko i is a professor and is magical like totoro

I'm sorry...but a wrestling thread should be about real wrestling...

(watch on mute - who did that music?)

12. kained&able

Not sure whats going on with bret. Shawn and him have done the heartfealt apology and mccmahon did the same and then mcmashon kicked him in the nuts.

We will see what happens, stu hart is going into the hall of fame at wrestlemania weekend though so i'm guessing there will be some sort of angle between bret and vince there. Hopefully he will come in and be a mouth piece for the hart dynasty(the anvils daughter, davey smiths daughter & tyson kid who was the last person trained at the dungeon and is engaged to natalie neidhart). I can't really be arsed with wwe, only bother with PPVs and the odd amazing sounding show(which is rare) but may well watch the bret stuff

Hogan has come in to RUN Tna rather then wrestle. We shall see how that all works. Certainly gives em a lot of exposure, Bischoff has come in with him as well onto the management side of things. If they have learnt there lessons from WCW hen it could be a good thing, it only happend last week though so its difficult to work out what is going on. AJ styles was put over massively by everyone though so we shall see.

A few very old people came in for the hogan debut(xpac/hall/flair/nasty boys) but hopefully they are just there to nick a few viewers from wwe(and the odd dream match, sting vs falir, nasty boys vs dudley boys etc) and then will fuck off again and leave it to shelly, aj, daniels, joe etc, migel mcguiness(watch his first match with kurt angle, oh my god it was good!!!).

Intresting times.

Oh and i am very aware that wrestling is fake/staged. So are films and guess what i enjoy watching them. The only difference is wrestling is done full speed and in one take.

13. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

Dave - you know it's fake yeah?

14. kained&able

you know your missus fakes it yeah?

and you still enjoy it, so where is the problem.

dave

tendril likes this.
  15. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

:D

I was taking the piss dave, and not out of you.

16. kained&able

fair enough, i was taking the piss out of them and not you then mr tommers!:D

dave

17. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Indeed - didn't realise McGuinness had jumped from ROH, sounds promising. But any company which employs Hogan in any capacity is doomed... with a fingerpoke. His booking is worse than his wrestling, and that's saying something.

18. kained&able

yeah nige is now called desmond wolfe. So far only had matches with angle really but they have been very good. The one at turning point is the best match i have seen for a long long time.

Brian danielson has jumped to wwe. Not worked a match yet though. Presumably you also don't know cm punk has gone wwe(couple of brief runs as heaveyweight champion). He was getting a big push but they have booked him weirdly last few months.

dabe

19. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

I'm off to TNA with the little un and his mate.

I can't profess to be a big fan or even know what's going on a lot of the time and I hate all the fake aggro out of the ring stuff.

I love crowds though and the athleticism/skill of some wrestlers is to be respected. Noticed WWE is on at Manchester too but cheapest tickets left are over £50, I'd love to see Rey Mysterio but not at that price.

20. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

I remember when Punk turned up on the 'new ECW', the got his 'money in the bank' title shot pretty cheaply and presumed he'd been buried ever since he gave it up... I guess I should tune in just to see what the fuck is going on in the world of wrestling once in a while, there's usually something worth seeing along with all the utterly missable shite in between.

21. kained&able

samckdown is better then raw at the minute in my opinion wwe wise. Like i said though can only really be bothered with PPV although means i miss all the up and coming people that i'm usually more bothered by, but then again watching matt sydel job every week gets a bit boring.

Raw has lots of annoying things going on. Like a PG DX. A leprechaun and no GM but instead an endless stream of celeb hosts plugging things. Oh and cena and orton getting ran constantly which is really really lame.

If you know your british promotions. Sean O'shanessy(i think SOS anyway) the irish dude is current wwe champion, which is quite amusing. Clearly going to drop the title at royal rumble or whatever the ppv after that is but still kinda cool.

TNA still run far far to many gimmick matches for my liking but other that and the odd weird booking decsion it is much more the style of wrestling i like watching.

ROH has dropped off my radar a bit.

dave

22. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

You are clearly too old for this Dave. I know West Ham are having lean times, but this seems a little like teenage regression.

:(

23. kained&able

regression? I never stopped following wrestling.

Some poeple wtach big brother & xfactor and shite like that. I watch wrestling.

dave

24. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

It comes to scomething when you can say that Big Brother is less staged and artificial than a supposed 'sport'

:(

25. kained&able

I don't thinks pro wrestling is an actual sport! I'm not 8.

Just fits better in here then in TV.

dave

26. Sadken

Sadken K-5 You -0

Vince McMahon kicked Bret Hart in the bollocks? LOL.

Incidentally, I reckon K&A knows full well wrestling isn't real, just like Coronation Street isn't, or Premier League football. I've never understood why somebody who says they like wrestling automatically has to get people making spaz noises at them and treating them like an idiot. We like what we like, end of. And I haven't followed wrestling for donkey's years, so I've got no self interest in saying that.

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Snobbishness about wrestling always makes me chrotly, its a bit like the early days of tv where the BBC wanted to make the masses have finer tastes by feeding them highbrow content, and then ITV came along and gave people the common entertainment they wanted. Each to their own, personally wrestling is my equivalent of watching a crappy soap on tv, with the added benefit of energy from the audience, some car-crash moments when its live, plenty of behind the scenes drama and tragedy, plenty of politics, failure to be politically correct, etc. I preferred the product back when there were more people who were genuinely funny or charismatic, and in the late 80's and early 90's when there were more nutters off their face on drugs being wacky and less scripted, but I still watch it a bit these days.

The Hogan Bischoff era of TNA is proving to be a bit amusing & different, they have had some problems with sections of the audience chanting things they didnt expect, eg moaning about the loss of the six sided ring, booing the wrong people and swearing, and various established TNA roster members have lost their spot or jobs. Throw in some silly controversy with Bubba the Love sponge making bad comments about Haiti and Awesome Kong punching him and asking for her release, along with AJ Styles turning into the new Nature Boy (Flairs increasing baldness sad to see), Scott Hall looking horrible, Nasty Boy Knobs being hideously large, Jeff Hardy only being at the PPV (possibly due to lots of legal problems over drugs), and characters like Orlando Jordan and Val Venus being put over at the expense of decent traditional TNA talent, and the whole thing is a bit messy but kinda interesting. Angelina Love is back but feuding with the Beautiful People instead of rejoining them, not sure about that choice. At least they have about half a dozen people with charisma now, though the actual wrestling may suffer badly unless the Total Nonstop Arthritis crew are only around for a short time. Impact is a bit more watchable now, the pace is better and the storylines a bit more traditional rather than OTT Vince Russo stupidity. Anyway the main storyline seems to be building towards Hogan, Bischoff & friends versus Foley, Jarrett and various others from the TNA old-guard. I wont spoil this weeks impact in case there is anyone going to watch it tonight, but they repeat a classic storyline from WWE days, not sure why but maybe it will work.

As for WWE, it still bores me, I will watch Raw when there is a decent guest host on, speaking of which Cheech and Chong are hosting on March 1st! Might be awful but generally I find wrestling to be even more compelling when it is hideous car-wreck tv.

28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Oh and gotta be careful not to get worked by TNA at the moment - I think they are trying to incorporate some of the TNA fans reaction against change into the storylines, and its gets quite blurry as to whether the removal of Borash from tv is a shoot or a work, and they would probably like to turn the Kong Bubba stuff into a sotry too, which will probably be horrible but is better than Kong leaving TNA which is another possible outcome. Twitter is awash with much silliness and only time will tell whether TNA can turn this isnto a sucessfull business/promotion strategy or whether they just come off as crap and repeat mistakes from WCW.

29. kained&able

Yeah im trying to work out the borash thing too. I reckon he might be going the way of don west and getting a new job being in charge of the website or something. I know he is on the current tour of the UK though.

The last PPV was a complete write off, don't know why they bothered to be honest they only had a week to build it, which was never enough time. Val venis over chris daniels disgusted me. I mean really?

Orlando jordon needs to fuck off, although my suspicion is he and dinero will be a tag team before too long.

Nasty boys need to do the lil feud with the dudleys and then retire. Although the match they had with nash/young wasn't useless which surprised me.

Good to see kenedy back, i was very suprised when he got released by wwe. I think Vince just got pissed off with him mucking up the whole son story line thing. I reckon he will regret that one.

Got no real problem with ms love feuding with beautiful people, velevt especially has stepped up and can't really go back to being a lacky for her. Kong leaving if it is true would be lame, they also lost allisa flash this wek, which is a shame.

Got no problem with the ring being changed at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing flair and sting battle it out for the soul of AJ that should be most entertaining, must surely be the plan.

That generation me vs machine guns match on impact was sweeeet. Most impressive. Also i noticed on the new impact credits they showed the candian destroyer(best finisher ever!) so i reckon petey williams is coming back soon. He was great.

It has been interesting so far, its very much in a transitional phase and its a case of wait and see i guess.

Cheech and chong could be cool on raw but on the other hand PG, how is that going to work? The most annoying thing about not watching wwe much anymore is missing morrsion and punk on smackdown. Punk is amazing and morrison has the chance to be somthing truely special.

dave

30. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

dave

I read your posts and I really haven't got a clue.

what basics should I know before going to the show in manchester this friday?:confused: