1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A technical discussion about auto exposure on smartphones?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Call it a technical discussion about everything 'auto'.

I am playing with a Samsung (low end) smartphone with a view to actually doing something good with it. Three pics. All from the same view point in artificial light - totally 'standard' settings, yet...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Anyone here interested in discussing this sort of stuff?

2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Sure. If I understand you rightly, you're saying the only change is the content of the rotating billboard, and you're asking why they expose so differently?

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Not sure how the Samsung works, but on an iPhone you can tap the screen to spot meter on a particular part of the photo. I think as standard it just takes an average of the overall image.

4. Stanley Edwards

Yes. Where is the metering averaging/reading? In this instance it is pretty blatant. I guess my question is; how do you control it?

5. Stanley Edwards

OK. Thanks. I'll try a few taps :)

6. Stanley Edwards

WTF is the flash so orange?

7. neonwilderness

It might be worth looking to see if there’s a different camera app that offers more control over exposure, white balance, etc.

8. Stanley Edwards

Ah! Sounds interesting. Any suggestions?

9. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I never knew that. Just checked and I like the differences :)

neonwilderness likes this.
  10. neonwilderness

I’m not sure about android stuff. Maybe VSCO, the iOS version is decent.

11. mauvais

As neonwilderness says, it can be altered by where you choose to focus, or in the absence of that, where it decides for you. In turn, in the absence of that, it'll be centre-weighted, hence the centre of your scene changing having a disproportionate effect.

Plenty of apps let you alter exposure with varying levels of ease. The default S7 one is OK.

neonwilderness likes this.
  12. Stanley Edwards

How do I use the flash without it making everything more than Meter away look like vomit?

Or, is it always best to not use flash?

Anyone here ever tried using off camera flash with a smartphone?

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

White balance on phone cameras is generally terrible in low light IME - actually it’s often bad in digitals too (to be fair it is quite hard to do automatically). I would set WB to daylight in these situations, particularly if you’re using flash. I played with someone else’s Samsung a while ago and it did have a fair number of options in the default camera app for this sort of thing. You’ll probably still need to dick with the WB in post but it’s easier if all the source photos are consistent.

14. Stanley Edwards

I'm just pushing it around a bit - exploring boundaries. It's an €80 smartphone, I don't expect brilliance, but I'm sure it can still produce reasonable results in 'perfect' settings. My plan is to produce an entire 20 minute video exploring art and photography techniques/processes which are a bit off the wall. The sort of things people wouldn't normally use a smartphone to do. The entire thing needs to be produced in phone (including any post production). White balance could be the biggest hurdle.

I shall play and report back.

15. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Snapseed will definitely let you alter WB on a phone, and most things in fact.

16. Stanley Edwards

I'm happy with this in lowlight. Just need to get to know the sensor and processing a little. Impressive for what it is.

samsung.jpg

mauvais likes this.
  17. Stanley Edwards

If I use an app to control shutter speeds to seconds, would this be likely to burn the sensor?

18. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I don't know about the photographs, but I can recommend the motorbike!

19. mauvais

Doubt it - never heard of such a thing, except with full cameras when people took photos of the sun.

20. Mr Smin

Mr Smin Registered Luser

It isn't. A big area of the photos changes as the adverts change. That one has a lot of blue. It has correctly made the bright white of the price appear white, but at the cost of orangeness on another area. You could apply localised colour balance in lightroom if you really needed to.