A Manchester thread for all things Manc

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by mauvais, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

There you go - Sam Smith's - no Guinness. Soft bigotry.

Irwin Winton and mauvais like this.
  2. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Elder daughter is in Manchester for a work training thing. She wants to know if a curry house called This & That is any good. Anyone know?

SpookyFrank and AnnO'Neemus like this.
  3. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Yeah it's really good - cheap canteen style with plenty of veggie/vegan options. Closes early though!

danny la rouge likes this.
  4. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It's a Manchester institution, as is the 'rice and three' it serves. It's a basic canteen, cheap and cheerful, somewhere you'd go for a quick lunch, not for an occasion.

5. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

If it's too late for This n That and she wants cheap and cheerful curry Cafe Marhaba is my current favourite. Not too far away, just off Picadilly.

6. Grace Johnson

Grace Johnson i like dairylea dunkers

Yeah it really is for the money. There is plenty of similar places for a similar price around there too. You get a plate of three curries and rice for about a fiver. The menu changes daily and its all traditional food. Have not had a bad meal there tbh

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  7. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Yes, it's good. And cheap. But closes early. If she's looking for somewhere to eat in the evening, Bundobust and Indian Tiffin Room are both popular and well-reviewed. Not as cheap as This'n'That though.

mauvais likes this.
  8. Nikkormat

Nikkormat Well-Known Member

On the subject of Manchester curry cafes, what's Hunters BBQ like these days? It used to be great for lunch - rice & three, really friendly staff - but looking at reviews it looks crap now. I've not lived in Manchester for six years, but don't want to get bitten on return visits.

9. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

I'm off to see the Da Vinci exhibition this weekend, and noticed the gallery have an exhibition for the 200th aniversary of Peterlooo, starting on 27 May through to September. Looks like it might be interesting.

Get Together and Get Things Done | Manchester Art Gallery

eta - created a separate thread for Peterloo stuff.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  10. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I went last weekend. Don't let me put you off but I was slightly underwhelmed, probably just not my cup of tea. 30 people at a time, so a queue, although not too bad. The drawings are all medical. They're historically interesting but not in themselves that captivating, IMO.

The Nordic design exhibition at the top was cool. Kind of like a fancy IKEA where you can't buy anything.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  11. farmerbarleymow

Yeah, I never get my hopes up about exhibitions. Worth having a look though, and the gallery is always a nice place to spend an hour or so.

12. farmerbarleymow

13. farmerbarleymow

Manchester Museum is putting an elephant skeleton on the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly. They were building it this morning. Much better than the usual stalls promoting commercial tat.

Elephants are lovely. :)

Grace Johnson and Fez909 like this.
  14. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

mauvais likes this.
  15. Irwin Winton

Irwin Winton Banned Banned

Its slop

16. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

17. farmerbarleymow

Rutita1 likes this.
  18. farmerbarleymow

Throbbing Angel and moonsi til like this.
  19. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

London got bumped for Manchester for Xmas shopping & general bimbling about as train tickets were too spendy.

I have been to Manc a few times but I don’t really know it. We are seeking pubs, veggie food, record shops, trinkets, art and of course Xmas market!

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  20. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

paging farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  21. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

Oldham Street should cover a lot of those things: you can drink in The Castle, buy trinkets from Magma, Aflecks Palace and Fred Aldous, records from Picadilly Records and the Vinyl Exchange (I think there's record stalls in Aflecks too). Manchester Craft and Design Centre is just round the corner too. I'm sure there's good veggie food round there but I can't remember where atm.

Avoid the christmas markets though, they're shite.

22. farmerbarleymow

killer b has pretty much covered it, but happy to show moonsi til directions on the day if needed.

eta - I added the completely wrong user name. :facepalm:

23. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

I'd add the Arndale Food Market to killer b 's list - plenty of veggie & vegan choices, & the option of a cheap accompanying pint from the Micro Bar.

mauvais likes this.