A Manchester thread for all things Manc

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by mauvais, Dec 28, 2016.

1. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Went to both of these this weekend, both excellent, thank you for the tips. PHM is surprisingly vast and detailed. A lot of shocking material on Syria, and more generally, an interesting time to be there. There's something uncomfortable right now about these ideas being in a museum. It's an apt reminder that this kind of history is not some linear, ratcheted progression - lots of the documented struggles are or could be back on the agenda today.

3. farmerbarleymow

mauvais and Shirl like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hey. my band The Monochrome Set are playing Manchester Gullivers on the 25th March. Be great to see some urbanites!

Grace Johnson and mauvais like this.
  5. mauvais

Got any free tickets? :D

6. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

Manchester International Festival have just announced the programme - some good stuff. Tickets on sale from tomorrow 1pm. Going to book for the John Adams, Jane Horrocks and Portico Quartet. Wouldn't mind seeing Colin Stetson, but I'm boycotting Gorilla 'cause the sound is always shit.

http://mif.co.uk/

Grace Johnson likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I may have a couple of freebies :)

8. mauvais

I shall ask the missus. Would be good to get in some real life heckling after a decade of Urbanisation :D

Do ye do any Slayer?

editor likes this.
  9. mauvais

Aren't you a sound engineer? We went to Gorilla to see Okkervil River and had a really good night (up on the balcony FWIW) but at the same time a bit of a crap gig down on the ground at other stuff.

10. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I really need to make more use of the fact I have this city right near me. Went out yesterday with my GF, did the Science and Industry museum, walked around all the canals and then had a lovely pizza. Totally randomly I bumped into a mate from Uni and she invited me to her wedding later this year.

mauvais likes this.
  11. killer b

I think the in house PAs at all the Trof venues are quite shit- I've had similar issues at Albert Hall. Sometimes bands bring their own sound so you do occasionally get a good show, but mostly they don't.

(I'm not a sound engineer)

Grace Johnson likes this.
  12. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Does anyone care about the greater manchester mayor election? I must admit my interest in it has nose dived since the communist league candidate withdrew

13. killer b

There's nothing to get interested in is there, now labour have selected their candidate?

14. farmerbarleymow

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So I'm playing Gullivers in Manchester tonight. Anyone around? I might possibly have a small guest list...

16. mauvais

I would have liked to have gone to this but I'm still dealing with the fallout of my disastrous week (burglary etc) unfortunately. Hope it's a good one.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That was bloody marvellous! I loved Gullivers and we had a full house for the gig. We hit Canal Street after and partied till 5am. Loved it!

mauvais and farmerbarleymow like this.
  18. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

You should have PM'd. Missed this post :mad:

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From Saturday night.

Shirl likes this.
  20. killer b

There's an amazing new video installation at the Whitworth that's worth a special visit IMO - I found it quite overwhelming, and I was there with the kids who were constantly distracting, so I'm going to have to go back - check it out anyway (the Warhol and Petherbridge shows are both still on too).

John Akomfrah | Whitworth Art Gallery

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. farmerbarleymow

23. farmerbarleymow

moose likes this.
  24. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Dear Ls, Gs, Bs and Ts and +s, I'm taking my vile M-I-L to Manchester this weekend, so do your best to be proper vulgar in front of her.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  25. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

moose just out of curiosity why are you taking her to Manchester? Not a bit of bonding I'm guessing :)

26. moose

It's her 80th. Much as I'd like to leave her all alone, to reflect on her unsatisfactory life and miserable existence, D wants to take her out.

Shirl likes this.
  27. farmerbarleymow

I hope there was plenty of vulgarity on display today moose. I didn't bother going to watch the parade - it was too hot outside.

Shirl likes this.
  28. moose

Yes, plenty of pvc codpieces, obscene shorts and what would have been called 'heavy petting' in the 70s. :D

29. farmerbarleymow

'heavy petting' isn't a phrase you hear these days. :D

Wonder if it is still used on those nagging posters in the baths?

sojourner and Celt like this.
  30. moose