A Living Wage For London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by citydreams, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

And the median £20 000! So even more appropriate:D

2. robotsimon

robotsimon New Member

lies, damn lies and statistics!

3. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

If you're not going to read the thread properly, then why bother at all?

4. robotsimon

robotsimon New Member

well, I read the bit where you said this:
    and the bit where you said this:
    From my reading of your posts on this thread it seems that you feel it is necessary for you and your partner to have a two bedroomed flat because, partly at least, you have a lot of books and music.

5. Blagsta

If your defintion of "reading the thread" is to selectively quote things out of context, then fuck off out of the thread.

6. robotsimon

robotsimon New Member

dear oh dear

7. Blagsta

I take it then that you're not going to bother reading properly? I take it then that you just want a row. You can have one if you want.

8. arty

arty New Member

and what happens when less houses are divided up into small flats blagsta?
    prices go up ffs, it ain't that hard to work out.

no ones arguing with you about utility prices or executive salaries, so do you need to keep bringing it up?

I don't have much sympathy for people whinging about credit card debt. yes, maybe student loan debt could be included in determining a living wage, but as for debts run up on credit cards because you, by your own admission, took holidays when you didn't have the money for it - do me a favour.

all the rest just comes down to the fact that you need much more than most to feel that you have a life that is enjoyable. Probably because you're spoilt and expect too much.

9. robotsimon

robotsimon New Member

I have no interest whatsoever in having a row (like a married couple, how sweet) with you. I believe it was you who told me to "fuck off out of this thread".

I admit that my reading of this thread has been, perhaps, imperfect. It is rather long. Furthermore, you are correct in as much as you have made many other comments on various issues in this thread, some of which I agree with and some I do not. However, I did not feel particularly strongly about those comments so I have not chosen to respond to them.

Your comments about your perceived need for larger accomodation, however, I thought were laughable which is why I have chosen to respond to them. Anyway, not much to be gained from continuing this, I'll let you have the last word.

10. Blagsta

So by your own admission, you haven't read the thread properly, but this doesn't stop you knowing what my argument is?

11. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

I think that most of the process of dividing large London houses into several flats was done in the 70s and early 80s.

Now, a whole house in many parts of London can be worth more than the three flats it was divided up into. There have been several cases of people buying all the flats and making them back into a family home.

Giles..

12. Blagsta

Naaah, its still happening in parts of Brixton. We went to see a few when we were looking to move last year. A lot of developers have chopped up what may have been 2 bed flats into really tiny shoddy 1 beds.

13. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Since when has 22k been an executive salary??? (Or anywhere near that for that matter)

14. Blagsta

Spoilt? Ha! That's right, I had it all as a kid I did. :rolleyes:

I'm absolutely astounded at the amount of people who are happy to work their arses off and have very little to show for it. Working just to pay rent and bills is bollocks.

15. arty

arty New Member

it isn't Kanda, who said it was, what are u on about?

16. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

The average salarys banded about in this thread is the mid 20k's... Blagsta saying it's a shit wage to live in London, I agree it's a shit wage. Where did you get arguing executive salaries from?

17. arty

arty New Member

yes, it's bollocks. being on a "living wage" for your whole life isn't ideal, it's probably bollocks as you say.

and round and round we go....

18. arty

arty New Member

read the thread if you really want to know.

19. Blagsta

Ermmm...cos its relevant?

20. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

What? Dividing existing flats into smaller flats? Or dividing a previously whole house into lots of small flats?

In any case, it is precisely the high cost and lack of flats for people living on their own that much of this thread has been about, hasn't it?

That, and how people don't see why they should live in a house-share after the age of 30 or so.....

Given this, surely creating 5 one bed flats out of a £1/2m house is a good thing, no? (although I fully accept that the person doing it is not doing so for reasons of altruism).

Giles..

21. Blagsta

Depends how its done. We saw some really tiny shoddy conversions with no room to swing a cat and cheap ass MDF for £850pcm. Thats a piss take, but people pay it.

22. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Well in Wood Green you could get a 2 bed house fully furnished for that much.

23. Blagsta

Yeah, but the who the hell wants to live in Wood Green?

24. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Not me I must admit, but you're not doing yourself any favours here.

A lot of people might feel the same about Brixton!

25. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Well its your choice then isn't it.. you can live in a rabbit hutch or get decent housing in a less fashionable area.

26. Blagsta

Well this is entirely the point - people on low wages have little choice when it comes to accomodation. I don't think thats right.

27. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Well, it is a bit inevitable. Even if prices across the board were lower there would still be a spectrum of prices from Mayfair to Thornton Heath, reflecting convenience, architecture, amenities, snob appeal etc etc. You can't really expect everywhere to cost the same.

Perhaps what it really comes down to is not feeling that one is at an appropriate point on the scale in relation to one's status, education, efforts etc!

The focus really should be on improving the less nice areas for the benefit of all those who live there and improving the quality of accommodation, by construction of more affordable housing and by better control of the worst excesses of the private sector.

28. Blagsta

After the revolution, we won't have money. ;)

Hmmmm...maybe. Probably in fact.

Agreed.

29. Blagsta

The point is that I want to live in Brixton. Nowt to do with it being fashionable (is it?), more to do with it being where my friends live.

30. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Fair enough. I quite fancy Dulwich Village as I dig Georgian architecture. Somwhere round the British Museum / Bloomsbury area would be OK too as it would be handy for work;)