A list of products killed off by Google

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Dec 4, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Wave had such potential.

Shame it was soo slow & clunky that it never quite lived up to it's hype.

I think if they'd added functionality over time (drip fed) then maybe people would have used it and grown with it.

Instead you were bombarded with so much functionality from day one that I think it was too intimidating to non-techies and too resource intensive for its startup budget.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

The one I miss is the igoogle start page.

I tried Netvibes, but it's more of a pain to move things around, and the nagging to upgrade to the insanely expensive pro version got way too annoying - the mechanism to make me consider it was consistently refusing to load without logging in.

I appear to have given up now and rely on having a page of frequently used tabs.

To be realistic, I rarely actually got around to listening to all the podcasts ...

What I want to know now is why the new GMail is vastly slower than the old one :(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  4. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Do they still do that search engine thing? I thought that rather had promise.

5. Signal 11

Signal 11 also programmed for conversational english

6. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Lots of these aren't really killed though, they just don't exist in stand alone form anymore. Like Goggles: it's now Lens in Google Camera.

And most of Inbox's features have been integrated to gmail, etc.

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

“We're announcing Allo! We're announcing Duo! We're shutting down Allo! We're announcing Hangouts Meet! We're shutting down Hangouts! Not Hangouts Meet, just Hangouts!”

8. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I can't believe Google have failed this badly at getting a unified Android messaging app that can do what iMessage does at least.

Going down the RCS route seems doomed for failure as it relies on the networks, and the vendors doing their bit, and we already know they are lazy, besides it's not encrypted!

9. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

I liked Allo :(