1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A list of London's best historical pubs

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Mar 8, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nice compilation from the Londonist here. I've drunk at quite a few of them and even starred in a Chris de Burgh period piece video at The George.

(I was a Georgian sailor, if you must know - and boy did that material chafe) :D

[​IMG]

London's Best Historical Pubs

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

the auld cheshire cheese hosted, in the 1890s, the rhymers' club. this was mythologised by w.b. yeats as 'the tragic generation'; poets who attended its meetings included yeats, ernest dowson, and arthur symons. oscar wilde attended on at least one occasion.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

editor while the george might have been rebuilt in 1676 - which is of course after the great fire - the londonist's suggestion that it was burnt down by the great fire seems to me misleading. as this map shows it didn't affect the area south of the river
    upload_2017-3-8_14-29-34.png

mango5 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  4. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I'm going to the George tomorrow. :)

5. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Were you aware that CdB was shooting a vid that day, or just happened to be there in your usual garb of the time?

Puddy_Tat and Sirena like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was a paid accccckkkkck-tor, don't you know. I'm sure Larry often spoke of my performance.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  8. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Ye Olde Mitre ftw

Cittie of Yorke, it may be old but its still a shithole. And a Sam Smith's shithole to boot. Which is worse.

(We've had this very conversation recently haven't we?)

mango5 likes this.
  9. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Thumbs up for the Grapes, views of the Thames and a great end point for an riverside walk.