A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cybershot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

It's also full of a multitude of religious head the ball types 'preaching' round there.

kazza007 likes this.
  2. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

True. When you go to Manchester I mainly see people playing music or street dancing rather than shouting angrily through megaphones. Not very inviting or creating a good impression for visitors and families

3. Smokeandsteam

When you go to Manchester you can also visit independent bookshops and soak up a ‘culture’ that is representative of the city. Plus they’ve got trams that actually go somewhere - even our tram extension is designed to fuel consumerism and mass produced leisure consumption. I’d really like Manchester if it wasn’t Manchester

kazza007 likes this.
  4. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

5. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

6. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Should be one hell of an Insurance payout!

blossie33 likes this.
  7. Smokeandsteam

kazza007 likes this.
  8. cybershot

Crane also unable to get out of it's ties with rainbow warehouse situation, cancels all upcoming events. Some have been relocated, including the Sasha/Tale of Us Renaissance night I'm going to, which is now at Boxxed. Which I'm not too happy about. Shit venue. Almost literally as the plumbing always seems to be a problem there and you end up walking in piss/shite by the end of the night.

9. cybershot

10. BCBlues

kazza007 likes this.
  11. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Expect a mysterious fire there any day now.

blossie33 and cybershot like this.
  12. cybershot

Tries to turn venue into something completely different, but gets rejected anyway due to 'violence'

What?

Capture.PNG

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

14. cybershot

Someone pass me a bucket!

15. cybershot

16. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

kazza007 likes this.
  17. cybershot

I love how the artists impression embraces Brum's Gotham City Vibe.

Capture.PNG

kazza007, kebabking and blossie33 like this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Brilliant!
    Lots of memories for me here - I used to have a Saturday job just down the road from Handsworth Market!

....and this picture - the lady with the red hair worked in the newsagents next door but two to me!

[​IMG]

21. BCBlues

Birmingham-1960s-24-768x532.jpg

Safe place for a zebra crossing ?? Look left, right, behind you and watch that corner over the road too.

Great pictures. You can see from them how much fun us kids of that era had playing around in those old derelict buildings.

kazza007, blossie33 and gawkrodger like this.
  22. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

Any Brummies on here ever managed to walk along the Dudderston viaduct in Digbeth?

23. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

Typical Brummie 'planning'.

kazza007 and blossie33 like this.
  24. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

Is it possible to get up there? Looks interesting, but I don't like heights.

25. cybershot

There was talk of turning it into a Skypark but god knows now... Plan for Birmingham's park in the sky

Bordesley railway station is open on weekends, although it might only be when Birmingham City FC are at home, check timetabling. Which may or may not give a view?

26. cybershot

Also, if anyone watched Ambulance last night on BBC1, it was covering the Belgrave Middleway crash which happened just before Christmas. :(

Which has also gone quiet on the survivor who was in the alleged vehicle that caused the carnage. :mad:

Eta: Some stuff came out this week, clearly i've not been paying attention: Taxi driver in Belgrave Middleway crash also had drugs in system

27. cybershot

28. Smokeandsteam

According to the Brum Mail a congestion charge is coming in inside the inner ring.

A city centre congestion charge is coming - what we know so far

No doubt there will be loads of compliants about this in the event that it is introduced. People will say its regressive as it will stop poor people but not rich drivers, that the public transport isn't up to scratch, that the cycle lane provision is crap and that it merely pushes the problem elsewhere. All of this is true. But, I still welcome it.

The city centre is literally killing us with fumes. It's unpleasant, congested and clogged.

I'd actually go further - there is no need for any car to be in the inner ring road. Buses, taxis, cycles and walkers only.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    J Ed likes this.
  29. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Except there are lots of needs. We need much better public transport, park and rides etc for it to work.

30. Smokeandsteam

As I say, many of the complaints will have merit and the lack of decent and affordable public transport is undeniable.

I've taken to walking or cycling to town from Kings Heath because the roads are so clogged and the public transport so shit. It's dangerous, inconvenient for me at times and always an unpleasant journey given the congestion, bad/aggressive driving and foul air.

But, for me, the congestion charge is a cart and horse issue. Once the cars go the urgent demand for better public transport, cycle lanes, park and rides and safe walking routes becomes overwhelming for the government and council.

J Ed likes this.