A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cybershot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

The Mail are suggesting the appeal to the licensing committee may not go ahead now? I hope this isn't the case.

2. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

Anyone else familiar with the Black Country poet, Liz Berry? I'm guessing many of you are already aware of her, but I must admit I just stumbled across her (though I'm originally from Brum) and I thought she is pretty good.

3. mr steev

mr steev magic thought wizard

She's performing next Friday at The Slade Rooms as part of Wolverhampton's Literature Festival

4. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Can't say I had the but just had a listen and a read up. On a similar vein but more comedy I had yet another listen to Dolly Allen the other night. Reminds me so much of me Gran on my English side.

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Good to see that BCC bring in the new year still not having a fucking clue what they are doing.

6. BCBlues

7. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

8. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

It appears they are giving up their venues.

Seems like a strange decision but I can only assume they've been advised they won't win, or are seeing the way the wind is blowing in Digbeth. Massive shame though. I've been to some cracking nights at the rainbow. End of an era.

9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

moochedit likes this.
  10. cybershot

11. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Expect lots of nice posh flats on the sites soon, full of people wanting to live in an area with lots of vibrant nightlife... oh.

12. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

They appear to be keeping the pub and the courtyard only. I assume those are the only venues they actually own. Though they were looking for a new licensee for the pub before all this kicked off. What a mess. Well done Birmingham City Council, there will be some new land to sell off soon.

13. cybershot

Was probably the idea all along by the council.

Who has the lease on Air (code) now. I was told it was cheaper to keep the doors closed than it was to open it again! Would love to have a look around in there for old times sake.

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  14. Smokeandsteam

Ive been getting this wrong. I always assumed that they couldn’t market a district as edgy, urban and post industrial if they’d sanitised the area. After all the counter cultural nature of it is what makes it edgy and somewhere knowledge economy types want to live amongst. In fact it turns out that stripping the area of its soul is a prerequisite.

15. Smokeandsteam

Wouldn’t be the first time - the council and the police have a long history of raiding, closing, demolishing and generally making the existence of the nighttime economy in the city difficult.

You might be right about the land but we shouldn’t overlook the moralising and censorious morals of the Licensing Committee. One look at them tells you what the city is up against. As ever whatever is achieved is depose the council and not because of it.

muscovyduck likes this.
  16. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Yeah, they've been treated appallingly. The irony being that it's the reputation of venues like the rainbow complex that have made the area attractive to investors. But they have to kill those venues off to make money. Scumbags.

17. cybershot

All council run schools closed in Birmingham tomorrow.

kazza007 likes this.
  18. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Paaah, saft lot these days, don't recall that happening when I was at school :D

kazza007 likes this.
  19. cybershot

20. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

How about the Drink and Dine with Dippy!

21. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

We saw it at Dorchester museum in half term - it's brilliant. Part of that is that i went to the NHM about every month as a kid because I was obsessed with dinosaurs, so Dippy was a bit part of my childhood.

blossie33 likes this.
  22. cybershot

I should note it's not there until May. I badly worded my post above.

23. BCBlues

cybershot and blossie33 like this.
  24. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

An exhibition of the photos was at the Ikon Gallery a couple of years ago, definitely worth seeing.

The story behind how she came to take them and how they were rediscovered is very interesting too.

BCBlues likes this.
  25. cybershot

The Lovely Eggs, who are pretty popular on the music forums on urban, play the hare and hounds in May.

Birmingham Wire -

mr steev and moomoo like this.
  26. cybershot

Picture from the Black Country Museum on Friday, first time there in about 10 years. Main visitor center and the Dudley Canal Trust have had a bit of an upgrade but not much else (not surprisingly) has changed.

Still a good day out mind.

IMG_1205.jpg

moomoo, miss direct, BCBlues and 3 others like this.
  27. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Bostin place that is :)

The first time I visited was years ago when my grandmother was alive - think she was in her 90's then.
    The ladies in the cottages were fascinated as she could remember so many of the household items and kitchen equipment.

I went last about five years ago with my sister and brother in law from Germany, we spend most of the day there.
    Was surprised that you now have to wear the helmets and hi viz when you go on the canal boat trip into the Limestone mines :rolleyes: elf and safety I assume.

As you say, always a good place to visit.

BCBlues, kebabking and cybershot like this.
  28. Smokeandsteam

29. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

blossie33 likes this.
  30. cybershot

Was looking at this earlier, no idea why I didn't mention it here. Will probably go the Friday for the Levellers at the very least. (sorry, I like them!)

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes.

miss direct likes this.