A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cybershot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Yes I know, was more a rhetorical question really.

Slo-mo likes this.
  2. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

3. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Have you been to the axe throwing place? That looks fun.

I'm pretty pleased about the commonwealths actually. I don't really care that no one else wanted it :D I think the facilities could be great for the area.

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Nope not seen that, this place did come up thou when discussing where to hold our dept Christmas party, and working in IT and all, it certainly appealed.

grangelivegaming

5. cybershot

6. BCBlues

blossie33 and cybershot like this.
  7. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Grrrrrrrr :mad: I hate the Mail website - full of pop ups and ads you can't turn off!

Oddly enough I work about 10 minutes walk from Channel 4 in London, I do hope Brum gets it though!

BCBlues likes this.
  8. Lorca

Lorca Somebody, after all, had to make a start

did anyone else read about this school in Wednesbury where they created 'rich' and 'poor' kid zones by charging parents £6 a week to let their kids play with the new sports equipment in a separate area of the playground :facepalm:. Unsurprisingly, the head is getting pelters and the scheme has been dropped, but wtf was she thinking in the first place!

School creates 'poor zone' for kids whose parents didn't pay for new sport kit

9. cybershot

That's dreadful.

10. cybershot

Might be a useful twitter account to keep an eye on, especially for those of us budgeting in Jan/Feb but already getting twitchy about staring at the 4 walls at the weekend.

BudgetBrum (@BudgetBrum) on Twitter

baldrick and BCBlues like this.
  11. BCBlues

Yeah I saw this. I think one of the comments picked up on what little they bought with the amount raised, not that it was right in the first place.

12. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

Completely unsurprised that it's an Ofsted 'outstanding' school. Lip service to inclusion but actually no real idea what it means.

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. BCBlues

blossie33 likes this.
  14. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Parts are. And surely wolves would be covered by 'yam yam'? :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Dovydaitis likes this.
  15. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Sorry to hear that - my mother was a big fan and used to listen to his shows.
    RIP Ed.

16. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Wolverhamption is in Staffordshire. I will accept that some part of the wider 'city' - like Bilston - 'am yam yam'. Although of course Wolverhampton never has been and never will be a city. Hope that clears it up ;)

kebabking likes this.
  17. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Heath Town is on the edge of the coal seam... That's only about a mile from the center so it's a bit closer than the wider 'city' (I agree with your city views). A lot of wolves isn't in the Black Country, but it's yam yam. Bilston, Darlaston and Wednesbury all are in Staffordshire too.
    Wolves certainly shouldn't be in the Northern forum and has far more affinity to The Black Country than Brum :)

18. cybershot

As OP and having had enough topic title changes already. I declare wolverhampton talk: on topic. :)

Dovydaitis and mr steev like this.
  19. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Speaking from a Worcestershire perspective, they all sound the same to me... :thumbs:

moomoo likes this.
  20. Smokeandsteam

Wednesbury is in Sandwell, not Wolverhampton. I would argue Bilston and Darlo are in the Black Country but that north and west of there isn’t.

Finally your are correct that there is no affinity between us and Wulfurians!!

21. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Wednesfield. Black Country & Wolverhampton.

mr steev likes this.
  22. Dovydaitis

Dovydaitis Official fishco fish groupie

Bilston is Wolves. Granted once you reach the Lunt then that can go to the Black Country but I've grown up thinking of Bilston as being part of Wolves as we went there swimming with the school

23. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

I know. I never said it was. I said it was in Staffordshire.

There's little between you lot and most of the black country either tbh :p

24. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

It's both :)

25. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

no use arguing over what is and isn't black country. no two people in the black country would agree on its borders.

gawkrodger likes this.
  26. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

and bilston wasn't part of wolverhampton until 1966.

27. Smokeandsteam

That’s true! :thumbs:

mr steev likes this.
  28. BCBlues

Bilston is very Black Country. They still sell orange chips down there. It all ends at Priestfield though.That's why the Tram always breaks down there

29. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Plenty of places sell orange chips in Wolves too (thankfully :))

30. cybershot

Anywho. Anyway from Geography.

The Rainbow Venues have started their 'educate' initiative while they battle the councils and also try to raise money in order to keep landlords happy while they await for appeal dates etc. This is a massive loss to the Birmingham night life scene.

Our Statement – #educatenotrevocate

Hopefully they'll be able to do a 'fabric' and get it overturned.