A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cybershot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Yeah I remember the Barrel Organ, bit of a Rockers place iirc. I saw the Beautiful South at the Irish Centre. They'd only just formed from the ashes of the Housemartins so they done a short set, had a pint then repeated the set. Great Band.

Really sad to see The Irish Centre closing. It's at the heart of the Irish Quarter and doesnt make any sense in my opinion to move it miles out of town. It will have a massive impact on the St Patricks parade down there. What's the chances they move that too into Kings Heath Park or somewhere like they did with Handsworth Carnival (moved from Soho Rd to the local park).

You cant help but think it has a lot to do with HS2 and the changes that's bringing just up from Digbeth/Deritend. The highly respected Carl Chinn has his say in this article.

Birmingham Irish Centre closing down to create 'Irish village' in Kings Heath https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...down-17355419#ICID=Android_BMNewsApp_AppShare

Beginning of the end for the Irish Quarter :(

2. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Yes, I remember the Barrel Organ :)

Lorca likes this.
  3. Lorca

Lorca Somebody after all, had to make a start

More of a goth hangout from what i remember!

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  4. BCBlues

I'm going back to the 70s. The Costermonger (by Oasis) went the same route...greebo to goth

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

oh wow. I’ve been there recently and didn’t know it was closing. Was rammed too.

BCBlues, Lorca and muscovyduck like this.
  6. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Exiting the Vampire Castle

Very sad indeed. A great place. Like others I went to loads of gigs there in the 90’s. To be fair I haven’t been in a while. It’s also good it’s coming to Kings Heath. But, Digbeth without an Irish Centre. An end of a long era

gawkrodger, BCBlues, Lorca and 2 others like this.
  7. Smokeandsteam

The Barrel Organ (nee The Dubliner and how Subside) was fabulous. Rough and ready. Goth, metal and indie kids nexus

BCBlues and Lorca like this.
  8. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Birmingham continues to have its soul excavated. OK, its good for Kings heath, but things like the Irish centre are cultural icons that need to be centre where the investment and development is. I know that's partly why they had to move, but still.

gawkrodger and BCBlues like this.
  9. BCBlues

I'm based on the other side of "town" so Kings Heath is way too far. I was in the Irish Centre last St Pat's parade. It was rammed but the room we sat in was playing R&B much to the delight of my daughters.

I've always liked the view of the city when you come out there and look up the hill to the Rotunda.

kazza007 likes this.
  10. Smokeandsteam

On the theme of shit development in Digbeth I’ve discovered today that The Wagon & Horses on Adderley Street has gone. It’s been replaced by a vinyl and craft beer bar called ‘Dead Wax’.

The Waggon was a unique place. Old blokes sipping mild in the bar. Death metal out the back. A unique place. So many memories of the place.

I should add I like vinyl and craft beer. But the Waggon & Horses gone? Heartbreaking....

kazza007 likes this.
  11. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Fear not, Dead Wax will continue to be hosting gigs of all sorts of types, my mate fitted the new PA.

kazza007 likes this.
  12. Smokeandsteam

Fair play. But the old fella’s supping mild in the front bar??

13. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Possibly not. But a couple of old men sipping pints simply doesn’t generate the income required to keep a bar going :(

14. Smokeandsteam

Last time I was in there there were a load of old Irish fellas, some council workers, some lads involved in ‘buying and selling’, some Blues lads and a load of students.

Accept the point that if people don’t use a place it’ll close but the Waggon seemed to have a brilliantly diverse clientele. It’s was unique. I’ll definitely be giving the new place a try and the benefit of the doubt however

BCBlues likes this.
  15. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Banksy's been in brum (vyse Street) with a mural highlighting homelessness.

BCBlues and blossie33 like this.
  16. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash