A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by cybershot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I've decided to ripp off mauvais A Manchester thread for all things Manc thread as it seems there's quite a few Brummies scattered around here from various topics and posts.

So post your news, events, offers, trivia, chat, meetup attempts (eeek)

I'll start off by posting about this weekly e-mag that ends up in my inbox, if I'm honest I don't even remember subbing to it, might have been as part of something else I signed up too.

The online archives are available here Home and generally always has some good shouts for random things to do that are more independent based with a fairly decent restaurant review each week.

Speaking of which. Anyone been Meat Shack yet? It's ace.

2. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

I have been to The Meat Shack. It's brilliant - the fries with chipotle on are a work of genius.

ICB is shit though.

3. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

What’s the meat shack?

4. cybershot

5. cybershot

6. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I grew up in Birmingham and am going back for the weekend in December. Would love a recommendation for a great Sunday roast (town or Moseley area) and some Christmassy things (apart from German market).

7. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Moseley is bad for a Sunday dinner. The best is the dark horse but it’s really overpriced and not that great, just better compared to the others. I think the lord Clifton in hockley / jewellery quarter is meant to be good.

Smokeandsteam and miss direct like this.
  8. cybershot

Alice in Wonderland is on at the old rep in Dec if that counts as christmassy.

The Old Rep Theatre | Alice In Wonderland

I'll get back about the roasts, I'll asks my mates who live there and are huge on all things good about Moseley and surrounding areas.

miss direct likes this.
  9. cybershot

I'm afraid my Moseley chum echoed the above, is that you kel?

10. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

For a Sunday roast in reach of town I'd go to one of the gastropubs round edgbaston way - the physician or the high field. The clifden is good but it's the opposite side of town to Moseley.

11. purenarcotic

Haha I’m glad I’m not the only one with those views. :D

12. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

13. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

cybershot and Smokeandsteam like this.
  14. Smokeandsteam

There was a superb exhibition about the Click Club put on at BCU ast year where a load of related material from this site was displayed. I posted the details in the music thread where it was largely ignored. If only this thread existed then eh!?

BCBlues likes this.
  15. Smokeandsteam

miss direct The High Field in Edgbaston is definitely the place to go for Sunday Roast. It's delicious and they bring round extra yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes. I would book though as it is popular. Moseley should be swerved as others have said.

miss direct likes this.
  16. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I still stand by the good old Toby Carvery for Sunday lunch. Good value, good food, great for kids and won't be full of hipsters :D

moomoo likes this.
  17. cybershot

Hipsters, kids. Same thing! ;)

18. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

i fucking hate birmingham. its entire population and its entire history. shit on the villa.

Smokeandsteam and purenarcotic like this.
  19. Smokeandsteam

Probably not the thread for you then? :hmm:

Duncan2, muscovyduck, moomoo and 4 others like this.
  20. purenarcotic

Don’t hold back there. :D

21. BCBlues

Bet you watch Peaky Blinders tho' eh

22. Smokeandsteam

I’ve given it a like a) cos you are from Bilston which is a great place and where my dad worked for years and b) the gratuitous attack on the Villa :thumbs:

cybershot and discokermit like this.
  23. discokermit

i did until they supposedly beat up the black country gang. realised how shit it was then.

24. Smokeandsteam

Filmed in Liverpool and the Black Country and abysmal attempts at Brummie accents. discokermit will love it!

muscovyduck and J Ed like this.
  25. discokermit

where did he work? if you don't mind me asking.

26. Smokeandsteam

At the steelworks on Lizzy. He worked there until Thatcher shut it

27. discokermit

my dad worked there for a bit. one of his best mates was a foreman fitter there and one of my mates worked under him.
    i did my apprenticeship over the road at metabrasives (formerly bradley and fosters).
    i stood with my dad at the top of bilston and watched when they demolished lizzy. sad day.

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  28. Smokeandsteam

So did I bud. My dad drove me and my brothers over to watch it. I was only a kid but I still remember it vividly. I wonder sometimes what my dad felt like seeing his livelihood literally been blown up

What’s never been mentioned - as far as I know - was how many of the workers there suffered after. One of dad’s best mates gassed himself in his car because he couldn’t find work after the closure and his marriage was breaking up. Another one of his mates lost it and ended up disappearing and was never seen again.

gawkrodger and discokermit like this.
  29. discokermit

they broke the unions by breaking people.

gawkrodger and Smokeandsteam like this.
  30. BCBlues

I worked at Bilston Town Hall in Housing Benefits for ten years before the council "re-centralised". I loved every day of it, helping folk out getting round the benefits system. This was people from the lizzy, Darlo Steel, Wednesbury Tube etc etc who were dumped by Thatcher and her policies as Smokeandsteam has mentioned up above.

The people I dealt with were real true Black Country folk, proud but battered by the gov't at the time in its pursuit of the Unions.

We seem to have drifted a few miles down the road. Maybe cybershot would be gracious enough to add (and the Black Country) in the thread title ??