9/11 Attacks - anniversary thread

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by A380, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Very odd indeed. We get used to time passing more quickly as we get older but 9/11 is last week to me.

Yuwipi Woman and equationgirl like this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag member

18 years today. What a god awful moving day that was. It was one of those days I'll never forget nor shake some of those images out of my head. :(

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

and the wars drag on, there's surely people in the american army in afghanistan who were born in 2001

moochedit and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag member

We don't learn, we never learn. The war to end all wars and all that :(

5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Crazy to think there will now be adults born after the events of that day.

Yuwipi Woman and NoXion like this.
  6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

We? Get stuffed.

Spymaster, NoXion and Pickman's model like this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

world trade centre

It’s interesting to read this thread, comparing to how it would be now. Just how little info was coming out, no Twitter, Facebook etc

8. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

46th annniversity of coup against Allende.

yield, littleseb, spikey_r and 9 others like this.
  9. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Seems to be really affecting me this year. I haven't really thought about it for a long time. We were there - me and Mr M - and it was the year after my mum had killed herself. There's a lot of loss wrapped up in this anniversary for me.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

It doesn't seem like all that long ago - but Americans born after 9/11 are now old enough to go and fight in Afghanistan.

11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Has anyone (ie POTUS) learnt anything about the lead-up to and the consequences following-on from the events on 9/11 ?

because to my eyes, the answer is "no, not a lot"

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

I shall have a moment or three of quiet contemplation during the day, and I'm attending a friend's funeral in a while.

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. hash tag

hash tag member

We as in the human race generally. There still seem to be far to many people who want to fight on so many different levels :(

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Still the most powerful thread on this board. Urban somehow stayed up when most of the news websites went into meltdown and it captures the confusion and horror of the day.

world trade centre

15. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

((((Mrs M))))

Nylock and Mrs Miggins like this.
  16. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

((((Mrs M))))

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  17. Yuwipi Woman

I remember going into work that day. When the first plane hit someone came into the room and said "did you hear about the plane that hit the Twin Towers?" We were all like "Wow, what a terrible accident." Then the second plane hit. The room was quiet for a couple of minutes and then one coworker said: "We're at war now, aren't we?" Yep. And, we still are.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    agricola and Argonia like this.
  18. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

What stands out for me, and what I believe helped shape my political beliefs at the time, was not so much the event itself, but what happened afterwards. The rush to make war on an unrelated country based on lies. Millions of people saying "fuck war" and being ignored.

19. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

Here's a real-time (initial) thread from an American board that stayed online all day:

NEWS FLASH: PLANES CRASH INTO WORLD TRADE CENTER, PENTAGON. Our link to CNN works (thanks Metafilter). We have news and pics in comments section, if you have any post it there

And another:

World Trade Center Plane Crash - Straight Dope Message Board

There's gey few places that are a) still around and b) have kept archives that far back, which is a bit of a shame. Threads like the U75 one, and those two, are essentially historical documents, imo.

20. Yuwipi Woman

I ended up at Urban because of 9-11. I began searching foreign news outlets and other things to better understand. Before 9-11, I knew the system was fucked up and didn't work for the majority of people. After 9-11, I found out that's a feature for the people in charge, not a bug.

yield, 5t3IIa, Mation and 3 others like this.
  21. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I remember that day really clearly, 18 years have passed in a flash.

spring-peeper likes this.
  22. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

23. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

I shall be watching 9/11: CLEARED FOR CHAOS tonight.

It's about the thousands of planes that had to land in Newfoundland. The US had closed their airspace, and the planes from Europe, etc. had to land somewhere.

24. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

I read today somewhere that 20 people were found alive in the wreckage when the towers collapsed.. First I've heard of it, always assumed nobody had survived the collapse.

9-11 Research: World Trade Center Survivors

25. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

26. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

Well, trust rudy to make it both tacky and dark...