80s Oxford Street Scam Shops

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by paolo, Jan 27, 2018.

1. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Yeah. I've always had a good scam radar (scamdar?). I probably get a few false positives, but when I saw those shops in Oxford Street, something about the vibe said "this is properly dodgy", and I never had any temptation to find out more.

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I always wondered how people were taken in by it. There used to be one of these at Blackbushe Market on Sundays and if you watched what was going on for a few minutes you would see the shills returning their bargain bags to the back of the stage. Nobody ever seemed to look at what they'd bought and think "fuck me, I've just been done" and kick off. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Funny this thread has come up as spent an evening watching London scam youtube vidoes the other night
    Starting with this one from last summer - thats the perfume scam

we reckon thats Dalston

and eventually found this video which is a must watch, overhead footage of Oxford Street from the 90s with police-like commentary - really interesting

4. ska invita

another one I remember from the 90s was the buy a pair of speakers off the back of a van one - get shown great pair of speakers, get sold cabinets with bricks in them ... i know someone who bought a pair :facepalm:

5. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

variations on that scam to be found at motorway service station car parks.

ska invita likes this.
  6. ska invita

Hah yeah I got offered a TV on the m4 last summer - that was a new one on me tbf

7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

That second vid is fascinating. In real time they were back trading two minutes after the coppers walked past.

8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

These weren't much more than muggings though. A lot of folk who realised they were being scammed were forced to go through with it with threats of violence from some nasty looking fuckers. They just used the speakers to find people with cash. Proper scum.

ska invita likes this.
  9. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

And didn't upsticks until a matter of seconds before the filth came past. Remarkable efficiency really.

Spymaster likes this.
  10. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Yes i remember these, also the same fella used to go to Kempton market on a Thursday , my dear old mum ( RIP ) used to go and she said you have to come...

Me , to some extent humouring her, went to Kempton the following Thursday morning, got to the stall, and it was all crap....

Mum said to me, ' Ask him to go into the back of his luton ' , which i nervously did, and my god was there an Aladdin's cave of films , games , apps etc, ( I remember getting warcraft 3 ,3 months before it came out ) the games were £3 and the films £2 , I went there on and off for about 6 months, when the bloke suddenly wasn't there, turns out someone had grassed him up and he got nicked :(

11. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Had what I suspect was a variation on the speakers scam last year. Someone knocked on the door saying that a company kitting out a show house in a nearby "apartment" block had ordered too many sets of cutlery/kitchen knives and would I like to buy some at a very reduced price?

Spymaster likes this.
  12. ska invita

Just in time market efficiency....model capitalists :thumbs:

13. DotCommunist

thats good, pitching the lie just the right side of implausible so there can be an unspoken 'we know this shit is stolen' conversation, the mark thinks they will be getting a bargain from stolen goods and thus when truth is discovered is loath to pursue the matter.

Spymaster, paolo and Lazy Llama like this.
  14. ska invita

A shit set of knives are dead cheap on an average market stall..I guess this is the common thing, sell market tat for a big mark up as if it were something better

15. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

I think I heard about the 'Empty telly box' and perfume scams before I ever saw one in action, but I do remember seeing loads in the late 90s.

Scams are weird sometimes... we got approached by someone in Paris who was trying this scam I heard about, saying they just found this gold ring on the ground and their religion forbids them from wearing gold or some shit, but it looks valuable but we can have it for 70 Euro. I have no idea who actually was going to fall for that, but it seemed to be a thing.

16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

You get this in my hometown - door to door salesman who give a hard luck story to guilt trip people into buying stuff. Not sure if if it’s a scam but knocking on old folks doors and feeling the need to explain that you’re an ex con trying to earn an honest living makes me suspect it is.

17. DotCommunist

Had those in the past, window cleaning equipment and household cleaning stuff. Never bought anything because tightness (rather than suspicion) but the google box from 2014 says:

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  18. ska invita

shit, several times i've bought over-priced sponges and teatowels from these before, believing the tale, but the sellers are usually about 17 years old and frankly good luck to them. Even if it isnt true it almost is iyswim

19. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

They also seemed to have a shared lookout network. Presumably pooling resources to an extent, and eliminating unnecessary expense.

No doubt weren't told if they were working till the morning of their shifts either. Trailblazers.

20. Had quite a few people trying to sell me 'gold' rings they'd just found. The people doing it all look so very shifty, amazed they fool anyone, but guess they must do.

21. How's this for scamdar then; stayed at a hotel in Hammamet and took a cab in to the town, the driver warned me that I might meet someone who claimed to work at my hotel, "Hello my friend, remember me? I work in the bar at your hotel..." and so on and they are just out to scam ya. So I went in to a shop and bosh, "Hello my friend, remember me? I work in your hotel..." Feeling quite smart I totally fucked him off. That evening, guess who was serving drinks at the bar :facepalm:

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

the cabbie was laughing until late into the night.

23. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

There was a documentary about this in the 80s called The Knockers' Tale which featured the legendary (in my circle of friends) insult 'banana queer'.

24. Bunch of ICF twats flogging dusters with holes in them, wasn't it?

maomao and Pickman's model like this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I remember many of these characters working in East Lane and Petticoat Lane many years ago. In Petticoat Lane there were people selling bags full of bars of chocolate
    or the unbreakable crockery Etc. The crockery people were even in the generation game I seem to remember.

26. ska invita

Do you mean East Street in Camberwell? Theres some great mic'd up sales patter on East Street.........

27. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

There's also a mattress scam. We were at a small new hotel in Essex when someone came in an tried that one on - owners were new to the hotel business but thankfully not that daft. Apparently you end up with old, stained ones once you've taken the wrapper off.