1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

55 East - a new 'community enterprise hub' for Elephant & Castle

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

If we were playing buzzword bingo, this place would score highly as it's all about entrepreneurship, hubs, social enterprise, vibrant spaces and pop up events.

They're trying to raise £20k to do:

Opinions, urban?

2. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

Well the estates around there are being knocked down , Soon to be replaced with shiny new unaffordable yuppie hutches so i guess this is the start of the "coolness". Give it a year or two and it will be the new hackney , brixton , peckham etc etc,,. I stopped watching when Dirk appeared!

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A friend of mine runs a nearby business and she's worried that this hyped entrepreneur-hubfest is going to hit her trade hard.

Rutita1 likes this.
  4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Reminds me of when group of people, some of which I knew, approached me and asked me to be on their board of trustees, in name only, because I was a well known locally, running and supporting loads of other community projects and active with regard serious local housing issues.

They were trying to set up a 'cafe come dance/community space' locally. They were applying for local authority and other corporate funding... My spidey senses about being used where all over the place.

I dread to fucking think what they are charging for a coffee or one of their dance classes now. I know I need to visit and find out. I hope my suspicions are wrong. At the very least I hope there is some middle ground...I am prepared for the worst though. :/

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    editor and sealion like this.
  5. sealion

It will and in my eyes was inevitable once the Heygate went. What you link above is the template for gentrification (stage one). My friend owned td sports on walworth road for nearly 30 year. He and others had there rents increased and offered much shorter leases, he shut down. The landlords know whats coming.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM
  6. sealion

I make you right being sceptical.

7. Rutita1

Was a really tough call tbh. At least two of the people I had known for 10 years, them living locally that is. Decent people.

I've moved away now (part of another gentrification story) and really haven't had call to visit for a fair bit.

What to do though if my fears are confirmed. A difficult but necessary conversation with those that I knew/considered friends and trusted I suppose.

8. sealion

Eat and drink as much as you can for free before you leave :D

9. Rutita1

Ha! Well I would prefer to walk out (if needs be) all indignant and not have them slander my name as a thief! :hmm: :D

sealion likes this.
  10. sealion

I was more thinking you get a freebie for old time sake, politley accept , fill your boots and then let them know the score on exit :D

11. Rutita1

Hah! I am far too hot headed and honest for that longggggggggggggggg game. ;)

Also, if they really are fucking the community over I do want it to be more of a discussion more than a FUCK YOU as I slam out the door. :D

sealion likes this.
  12. sealion

:D
    Go get em !