Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2nd hand furniture in SE London

crustychick

doo-woop-de-doo
Can anyone recommend anywhere to get good 2nd hand furniture. I'm in New Cross and currently without transport.... so the closer the better really! I'm looking for a computer desk and chair and maybe a chest of drawers or a bookcase too.

dynamicbaddog

Not second hand but v. cheap is the shop next door to Iceland on Deptford High Street, got my computer desk etc from there, they deliver for free as well.

Top Dog

it might be a bit too 'office-y' but Andrew Office furniture do some fairly decent and cheap desks, chairs and the like. They dont have any stores in SE but will deliver for an extra tenner i think

guinnessdrinker

political refugee
R.I.P.
I haven't seen any computer desk there, but otherwise, the British Heart Foundation charity shop on the Old Kent Road (near East St) is a start for second hand goods.

dennisr

the acceptable face
guinnessdrinker said:
I haven't seen any computer desk there, but otherwise, the British Heart Foundation charity shop on the Old Kent Road (near East St) is a start for second hand goods.
Definatly the BHF charity shop - they have loads of tat - but real gems as well - kitted my whole house out with stuff from there. Prices are usually good - but they started putting some up to silly levels

Cadmus

SINsational
crustychick said:
so the closer the better really!
There's a place on London Road, between Elephant and Castle and Waterloo. Cant remember the name and i know its not really close. Soz.

crustychick

doo-woop-de-doo
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

All your suggestions duely noted :)

nogoodboyo said:
There's also that gaff by Sainsbury's in New Cross - furniture on the pavement. Looks pretty poor but it's local.
don't know this one??? but sounds good if still there... well, I'll have a look for it this Saturday. Must get a desk if I'm ever going to get any work done!

Cheerz again.

Poi E

crustychick said:
don't know this one??? but sounds good if still there... well, I'll have a look for it this Saturday. Must get a desk if I'm ever going to get any work done!

Cheerz again.
Not so good, IMO, and they seem reluctant to haggle :confused:

There is the classic "TAC Office Equipment: Equips Business for Efficiency" on New Cross Road :D

Also lots of furniture to be found out on the streets.

nogoodboyo

It looks a pretty ropey place - crustychick, it's on new cross road where the entrance to sainsbury's is. Quite possibly not worth it.

Fwiw, I never had a desk. I used to have a big bit of wood that i'd put on my lap instead. OK for writing, I found.

crustychick

doo-woop-de-doo
Maggot said:
I will have a van this weekend if it's any help.
OMG that would be amazing :) will have a scout around and let you know if thats cool. you might just have become my new favourite person ever ;)

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
crustychick said:
OMG that would be amazing :) will have a scout around and let you know if thats cool. you might just have become my new favourite person ever ;)
Ok, saturday afternoon is the best time for me. :)

Sue Johnson

Where exactly we can have this? Maybe you can show to us. Please... Thanks.
If everyone also wants furniture safety tips and information like How to prevent furniture-related injuries, maybe I can help you.

There's also that gaff by Sainsbury's in New Cross - furniture on the pavement. Looks pretty poor but it's local.

London_Calling

Pleasant and unpatronising
Also Freecycle, where the stuff you describe is quite plentiful and free but you'll need to factor in the cost of a minicab estate car to move it.

not-bono-ever

They are ringing the bells now but soon...
opposite the Man of Kent pub, there is a SH furntiure shop. seems to supply the groovy student market. Always has a pile of piss stained matresses lying on the pavement around the corner. maybe worth a browse & a strong haggle if anything tales your fancy

Oh ,yes , down from Honour oak station , towards crofton park, there is s SH office shite seller. I got a Sweeny Era filing cabinet, in battleship grey with sharp corners for £10.

Emmaus shop in Lee High Road might be worth a look, although not all that close to New Cross. Don't know whether you'd get away with a desk as luggage on the 321...