2nd hand furniture in SE London

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by crustychick, Oct 11, 2005.

1. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get good 2nd hand furniture. I'm in New Cross and currently without transport.... so the closer the better really! I'm looking for a computer desk and chair and maybe a chest of drawers or a bookcase too.

2. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

Not second hand but v. cheap is the shop next door to Iceland on Deptford High Street, got my computer desk etc from there, they deliver for free as well.

3. Top Dog

Top Dog Well-Known Member

it might be a bit too 'office-y' but Andrew Office furniture do some fairly decent and cheap desks, chairs and the like. They dont have any stores in SE but will deliver for an extra tenner i think

4. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

I haven't seen any computer desk there, but otherwise, the British Heart Foundation charity shop on the Old Kent Road (near East St) is a start for second hand goods.

5. dennisr

dennisr the acceptable face

Definatly the BHF charity shop - they have loads of tat - but real gems as well - kitted my whole house out with stuff from there. Prices are usually good - but they started putting some up to silly levels

6. Cadmus

Cadmus SINsational

There's a place on London Road, between Elephant and Castle and Waterloo. Cant remember the name and i know its not really close. Soz.

7. nogoodboyo

nogoodboyo New Member

There's also that gaff by Sainsbury's in New Cross - furniture on the pavement. Looks pretty poor but it's local.

8. crustychick

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

All your suggestions duely noted :)

don't know this one??? but sounds good if still there... well, I'll have a look for it this Saturday. Must get a desk if I'm ever going to get any work done!

Cheerz again.

9. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Not so good, IMO, and they seem reluctant to haggle :confused:

There is the classic "TAC Office Equipment: Equips Business for Efficiency" on New Cross Road :D

Also lots of furniture to be found out on the streets.

10. nogoodboyo

nogoodboyo New Member

It looks a pretty ropey place - crustychick, it's on new cross road where the entrance to sainsbury's is. Quite possibly not worth it.

Fwiw, I never had a desk. I used to have a big bit of wood that i'd put on my lap instead. OK for writing, I found.

11. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I will have a van this weekend if it's any help.

12. crustychick

OMG that would be amazing :) will have a scout around and let you know if thats cool. you might just have become my new favourite person ever ;)

13. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

www.ebay.co.uk

we got a great Habitat bookcase for £20, delivered.

14. Maggot

Ok, saturday afternoon is the best time for me. :)

15. crustychick

okay, will PM you and let you know well in advance if needed :) you are a superstar!

16. Sue Johnson

Sue Johnson New Member

Where exactly we can have this? Maybe you can show to us. Please... Thanks.
    If everyone also wants furniture safety tips and information like How to prevent furniture-related injuries, maybe I can help you.

17. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Also Freecycle, where the stuff you describe is quite plentiful and free but you'll need to factor in the cost of a minicab estate car to move it.

18. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

opposite the Man of Kent pub, there is a SH furntiure shop. seems to supply the groovy student market. Always has a pile of piss stained matresses lying on the pavement around the corner. maybe worth a browse & a strong haggle if anything tales your fancy

Oh ,yes , down from Honour oak station , towards crofton park, there is s SH office shite seller. I got a Sweeny Era filing cabinet, in battleship grey with sharp corners for £10.

19. Maggot

Strange first post. :hmm:

20. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Surely you've seen Aladdin's cave in Loampit hill?! :D

21. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

Emmaus shop in Lee High Road might be worth a look, although not all that close to New Cross. Don't know whether you'd get away with a desk as luggage on the 321...

22. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

second for this - charity so good prices for good pieces

23. Maggot

This thread was started 5 years ago, and Crustychick doesn't live in New Cross anymore.

24. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

now I see what you mean - resurrecting an old thread:hmm:

25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

oops. :facepalm:

26. fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl hysterically useless

Might be moving to new cross - anyone any tips?!?

Edit - ignore this just noticed the dates

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019