1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21st Century Schizoid Man

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by spliff, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:20 PM.

1. spliff

spliff New Member

Three drummers :confused: :D

2. spliff

spliff New Member

Fripp, a fucking genius guitarist,he comes over as a middle aged gentleman but just listen what he does on this ,,,

The guitar solo is interspersed with Paul Rudolph from the Pink Fairies.
    I've never got the lyrics of this song, but I still think it's a blinder.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018 at 12:31 AM
  3. spliff

spliff New Member

4. spliff

spliff New Member

This is trippy stuff
  5. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I've been a Crimson fan since a teen. I fall in with them and out with them , go through cycles whem I have a passion for the first three albums for a while , then the Thraak period, then 'rediscover' the Discipline phase, then back to Lizard etc etc.
    Fripps range of playing style not just in King Crimson but from his Soundscapes to League of Guitarists is both unique and outstanding. His recent stuff with Travis is worth a listen and heres a a great contribution he made to a Bryan Ferry B side

I dont think King Crimson is just about Fripp though however indespensible he is. Its the fact that they have constantly and unpredictably changed music direction yet mainly excelled in what ever that direction has been. ever the new For me its about moments like Michael Giles drumming (jazz through a rock filter) and orchestral arrangements on the first album, the swathes of mellotron, the frightning madness of Cirkus , Keith Tippets subtle contributions to the jazz laden Lizard and Islands ( the track Islands itself is haunting) ,the hard rock riffs of Red, the tense beauty of Starless , Mel Collins sax contributions,John Wettons mournful vocals, the eclectic and complex clash of jazz, rock, prog ,classical, Mahavishnu Orchestra like and novo metal. Bit of a marmite band you either get them or discover a moment where you get them or dismiss them.
    Theres a good live in Chicago album of their current set list and here is the haunting (original version) Islands that I mentioned, quite unique.