21 hour working week

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Badgers, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8513783.stm

I for one salute this!
    Chances of it happening are a little less than 1% but it is a nice idea in principle. Rents and house prices are the only thing I can see that would prevent this working for me.

Of course the precious economy would suffer.

2. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

So that's the 3 day working week back again then?:D

It won't work for you bhaaji, but it will work for the fucking corporations

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

[​IMG]

bring back the three day week :mad:

4. mentalchik

mentalchik "Time doth flit, oh shit"

erm...............how would that work then, my finances are tight working 37 1/2 hours ??????

:confused:

5. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I remember the 3 day week, I thought it was a great idea at the time, I was only about 8 though

6. sojourner

:D:D i remember the power cuts too - we thought it was fucking great, with candles everywhere :D

imagine how bereft you'd feel now, if you lost leccy for 2 days?

farmerbarleymow and AnnO'Neemus like this.
  7. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Oh, how I wish.

Looking at all the newstands this morning it seems it's not a good idea for the economy. Im don't understand why not. Pretty simple really. Everyone works 21 hours a week for double an hour what they worked 42 hours a week. Economic status quo is retained and everyone is much happier.

8. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

much as I would love to work 21 hours for the pay I get for 35, how does that mean the economic status quo is maintained, they are paying more money for less work

9. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

:D :facepalm:

10. mentalchik

That wouldn't work though as they would have to employ more people therefore paying out a huge amount more in wages.......

nice as it would be can't see it catching on !

11. sojourner

And it's not gonna fucking happen anyway, is it?

3 day week just means less fuckin money

12. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It would be tricky and would require a total change for many. What is the major outgoing though, I guess rent/mortgage? If the average earnings dipped by three fifths then house prices would have to drop accordingly. Commuting costs would drop pro-rata and taxes would have to change.

Less cars on the road, increased quality of life, more time with kids, the list of positives is endless.

13. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The traditional real world version is "work the same hours but skive more".

14. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

And I bet some of you are going to try and argue that you couldn't do what you do now in 35 hours in 21 if pushed?

Very simply, you cut down on your U75 dribble and do some actual fucking work :mad:

You're letting the country down!

15. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

I'd be in favour of reducing the standard work week to 35 hours, but I think 21 might be a little impractical.

16. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Last job I applied for is only 20 hours a week. If I get it, I'll still be decidedly poor but I'll have that elusive work/life balance thing sorted, I reckon.

17. mentalchik

and not all of us work in an office....................where i work would mean employing more people as the shifts run from 6am - midnight and no i couldn't do the same work in less time as it's not that sort of job !

I only use a computer at home !

romeo2001 likes this.
  18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Shit logic.

The ideal should be that earnings drop and cost of living drops accordingly. Firms could not absorb th cost of losing that labour. The country should have a slower pace of life though. I recall when working in Spain the culture shock was a big one, I could not get used to not waking at 6am to be at work for 9am.

19. mentalchik

As i said it would be lovely but can't see it happening.............all sorts of different areas of life would have to all change at the same time.......

20. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

Tell us (if you want to) a little more about that. What time did you start work? What time did you finish, how long did you get for lunch and how many holidays- That sort of stuff.

Be an interesting compare/contrast I think....

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I doubt we will see it but then catch myself thinking why? Seems a bit defeatist to think there is only one way of life but we are guilty of it are we not? Do we consume more partly due to the pace at which we live life?I would love to work 21 hours a week.

While I rarely agree with Stanley (or even read what he writes) many people have to agree that the actual output they achieve is not near 37.5 hours a week. This is for me due in part that I have little free time. I wake at 05:30 and return home at 18:30 - 19:00 most weekdays, while I probably only get 20-25 hours of work done I spend about 12-13 hours a day (60-65 hours a week) doing it.

22. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

What are the chances that the authors of this report are home owners, probably paid off a lot of their mortgages already, and earn considerably more than the national average - so won't be left impecunious by the reduction in working hours?

I'd say pretty good.

23. mentalchik

Depends on your job though.......i'm up at 6am, i start work at 8am and sit down for approx half an hour until i finish at 4...............no chance of standing about doing nothing as we would soon be picked up on it......i have a physically demanding job..........

i too would love to work for only 21 hours a week but i'm the only wage earner and have a household to support.........

24. mentalchik

yup !

25. mentalchik

For instance.....

if i dropped down to 21 hours a week on my current earnings i would be earning around £650 a month before tax..............

just wouldn't be feasible !

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I worked in London but for for a Spanish property developer. It was maddening when someone would email me asking a question, I would contact people in Spain and expect a reply in 24 hours. Did a stint in Spain and was in the office (alone at first) for 09:00 waiting for people who rolled around 10:00-10:30.

Start at 10 or half past
    Lunch was a minor thing mostly
    Siesta about 2-3pm
    Finish up about 7ish

The number of hours worked was not as low as 21 but when you factor in the additional holidays, the fact that almost nobody works for all of August the difference is great. Now if I have a meeting I arrive in pinstripe suit half an hour early. In Spain I quickly realised that a meeting time was a 'guide' and all meetings were done in bars or a cafe with a rough agenda.

Not saying Spanish attitude to work is perfect, it is mainly due to the heat but people here envy their ability to relax in the evening. I find that if I go for an after work drink everyone is rushed.

27. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

And in my case, so would the livestock.

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

If there was two people both working a combined 42 week?

29. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

If there was that kind of money in farming. Its a nice idea though.

(and I'm a bit of a control freak, I like to know whats going on daily with the animals)

30. joevsimp

joevsimp Well-Known Member

In the current climate, 21 hours a week is better than no hours, especially given that I'm barred from JSA atm, but its not gonna catch on, even if every worker wants it to..