1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Art Thread

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by FabricLiveBaby!, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

Cheeky detail adjusted for colour correctness.

d4.jpg

dessiato, Mumbles274 and pengaleng like this.
  2. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i'm taking bets on how long they last...

[​IMG]

Mumbles274 likes this.
  3. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

I've done a little more on my comic idea. Working out panel position and story at this stage so not a finished comic. All my workings as it were

[​IMG]

Fez909, weltweit and heinous seamus like this.
  4. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

5. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

Mumbles274

your pencil drawings - especially the hand and cat face, I think you should focus working on tones/shading because theres only 2-3 tones and it looks a bit blocky, do you know what I mean? I dunno if thats the intent or not, draw an apple with light on one side and focus on the shadows, where they change and shit, what you wanna be doing is practising making it look more 3d

i dunno if you want constructive criticism or not but i did it anyway, do you paint? your expressive mark making i think would suit it

6. Mumbles274

I don't really do as much of anything as I could! And painting tends to be to costlier of the mediums to use for me.

Those 2 are pretty much sketches rather than any attempt to finish them. Im a bit out of touch with drawing so tending to try to get back into seeing things and like you say mark making rather than get bogged down coming back to them and making lots of reworkings.

As for wanting, or not, any criticism.. I've been to art college so had a lot worse :) a classic being 'it looks like you got dog's shit on your shoe and smeared it all over your painting'... For over using a colour ha ha

7. wayward bob

8. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! Indicative

Sketch of the other half wot I did on a napkin after 4 vodkas

FB_IMG_1487779496544.jpg

Fez909 likes this.
  9. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Mumbles274 you inspired me to draw a stylised fish, I want to paint it in watercolours in the same style as my Hummingbird painting
    fish sketch small.jpg

quimcunx, Fez909 and Mumbles274 like this.
  10. Mumbles274

Love it!! Cant wait to see it done

11. moon

Thanks, I seem to be doing art work sporadically at the moment due to other life stuff (sigh) but hopefully I'll get back into a regular practice soon.. I just love it so much.. :)

12. Mumbles274

Yeah, I've had a week or so of not doing much.. Still the weekend approaches!

moon likes this.
  13. pengaleng

[​IMG]

this is a layering sample am doing for college, not finished yet, my elephants are so near to being finished, last night I did an ear thats been killing me for about 5 weeks

14. moon

I finished my fish illustration :)
    fan tail goldfish small.jpg

Fez909, spirals, Opera Buffa and 7 others like this.
  15. Mumbles274

moon likes this.
  16. moon

Painting made for Life Book 2017, its called 'Landscapes of the Mind' :D
    Landscapes of the mind.jpg

pocketscience, Fez909, izz and 11 others like this.
  17. pengaleng

A part of a larger piece I'm working on for my final piece at college - I was trying to make the blues in the fabric come forward more - I think I have achieved that objective and makes more colours show in it now that the browns/coral tones are receding a bit

[​IMG]

18. wayward bob

i like the texture and the way the stitches creep out. like mould or moss :cool:

bubblesmcgrath and pengaleng like this.
  19. pengaleng

is sky poking through gaps in the top of trees :cool:

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  20. moon

Tree of Life - Life Book 2017
    tree of life.jpg

Fez909, bubblesmcgrath and spirals like this.
  21. Stanley Edwards

Unexpected day off :) - I am waiting for a floor to dry in a new bar, and I really fancied a bit of an escape from everything, so...

Big canvas is getting covered in oils.
    fri.jpg

I am reworking Steffi and the Prickly Pear...
    stefi.jpg
    This is one of my favourite paintings. It doesn't make sense, breaks many rules, but it works for me. I may end up recreating it quite literally, but firstly, I am going to try new colour theories. Determined to cover the entire canvas (1.6 Meter x 1 Meter) by the end of the day - end of day photo will come.

I have already moved pitch. Too many disturbances and stress. Firstly Mateus found me. He is very disabled, so I had to buy him his beers, open his beers, go get stuff to make his bocadillo for him, make him a joint... Before I had even started Policia Local arrived. After a discussion which ended with them telling me they would serve a denuncia if they saw me again before walking away. I told them their denuncia would probably not stick in court and their boss, and the courts may well get pissed off with them wasting everybody's time. Then a couple of other street folk turned up. I attract them like a magnet. The bars are quite happy for me to work in front of their terraces, but when people with all sorts of issues start to congregate and create a disturbance it obviously isn't good for me.

I have now set-up outside my regular off-season pizza joint. It is going to rain later, or tomorrow anyway, so I need dry shelter.

Initial paint covering comes later :)

moon likes this.
  22. Stanley Edwards

Steffi is going to be Demeter from Greek Mythology. To my mind 'Goddess of Bread'.

Cracking on with it now. I have made quite a display - I am always looking for new clients!

The colours are looking fucking gorgeous on the right. Not so well balanced to the left. Going to put the trees in before I change anything in the sky even though the sky is going to change loads.

fri2.jpg

23. Stanley Edwards

24. Stanley Edwards

Struggling to capture the colours on my web cam thing. Done for the day now. All painted out. Apparently I am working indoors tomorrow, so this is on hold for now.

fri4.jpg

Working with a pallet of lemon yellow, burnt umber, violet, ultramarine, sap green and white.

25. Stanley Edwards

It is raining. The good thing about rainy nights is they keep the addicted indoors!

Gave Mateus a blanket. My mate gave him more beers. I tried to carry him to a dry, safe place. In the end me and my mate dragged him there. He then asked if we had a pillow. I gave him an imitation Burberry jacket as a pillow. I have been wondering what to do with it since last November.

26. Mumbles274

Sleeping
    Oil pastel on paper

[​IMG]

chilango and heinous seamus like this.
  27. moon

a painting that is happening slowly, its sort of unfolding..
    [​IMG]

Duncan2, Fez909 and heinous seamus like this.
  28. Stanley Edwards

This is more about how to make art work rather than just a pic. Personal stuff is on hold.

I'm currently working on very large canvases for a bar. 4 Meter x 2 Meter. I'm working in a public plaza which has just reopened. Not often I can get away with this, so I am making the most of it.

Whilst sketching I have prints offered for sale, oil paintings on display as examples, self-promotional bumph to hand out, and a hat for drops. It is very pleasant work. BIG is always impressive - it might only be an illustration of bar shelves, but people love this life sized stuff. People stop and talk. This is very important. I am lining up new work as I go. I have a very nice commission to do very soon for very impressive money. That would not have come my way if I wasn't on the street doing this.

mon01.jpg

I'll photograph the finished thing when it is hanging in place. Sketched directly with large permanent markers. Will fill in some tones with diluted black acrylic after.

Commissioned work plus selling prints plus collecting donations plus self-promotion. Win, win, win, win :)

29. Stanley Edwards

Finished the large wall hangings. Very happy clients - they are even putting fancy zoom spotlights in the ceiling to light them up proud. More work from them, and picked up another very useful contact who has asked for murals for his restaurants (4). All good, but I have to wait a couple of weeks to get paid, so good job I'm collecting drops as I go. Juggling jobs around getting paid is a bloody mission in Spain. ManaƱa syndrome!

bar.jpg

Detail...

jamon.jpg

Very lose sketching with layered acrylic washes. Important to get nice light. It will be viewed from a distance, so I wasn't to interested in details - just the light and nice fluidity. Time is also a factor. At the price quoted there is no point in spending more than a week on both 4 x 2 Meter hangings. Chuffed to bits my clients are so happy. At one point I was asking myself questions about my own sanity again.

Three days to get back to Goddesses tomorrow :)

bubblesmcgrath and wayward bob like this.
  30. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

[​IMG]

Here is a super heavy lift vehicle, inspired by the Aldebaran. The teeny tiny cargo door on the illustrations shown in the link always bothered me, so I decided to try and draw my own version.

The Behemoth class was a key player in the early phases of mass orbital industrialisation during the late 21st century of the Nova Mundi universe. Her large cargo doors allow for quick loading from multiple crane-equipped container ships, and the open design of the cargo bay interior allows for the loading of outsize pieces of cargo that cannot easily be broken down into smaller parts. The SLS Behemoth, the first of her kind, was completed in 2078 as the first major spacecraft design built at the recently-constructed Tobruk Spaceyards. A durable and reliable design meant that the Behemoth class remained in service with various sovereignties and organisations for over 320 years, the SLS Atlas being the last of her kind to be scrapped in 2405. Two main factors behind the demise of the Behemoth class being the falling cost of reactionless drives following the defeat of the Bathysite occupation, and the beginning of mass FTL trade between Earth and extrasolar colonies.

The drawing still needs polish (and greeblies), but I thought it was worth sharing at this point.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Fez909 and Johnny Canuck3 like this.