20 years after his death, is it time for another Freddie Mercury / Queen thread?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Meltingpot, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

I think so.If I asked everyone to pick their favourite Queen track, I suspect most people would pick "Bohemian Rhapsody", so: do you have another Queen track which is your favourite by the band?

Mine is this one, which I played on a pub jukebox the day after he died;

RIP Freddie.

jesuscrept likes this.
  2. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

It changes. Normally it's Princes of the Universe, but for the last week it's been Who wants to live Forever. :cool:

3. 8ball

8ball Up to something

I think this is my fave most days.

4. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

5. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

i heard today that there's a biopic in production, with sascha baron-cohen in the lead role. i think he might actually do quite well...

ska invita likes this.
  6. 8ball

8ball Up to something

And on other days it's this. :)

7. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

even body language? :(

8. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

ETA - re "Save Me"

*like*

for some reason, i don't think i've heard that track before.

and hells bells, is it really 20 years ago?

excuse me while i feel old.

This evening 20 years ago i was at the impromptu wake at the roundhouse pub, north woolwich, which was my local (sort of) at the time...

9. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

one of two or three of their tunes that would work as instrumentals.

10. 8ball

8ball Up to something

This probably isn't a cool one to like...

... but I don't care ...

devit, Meltingpot and killer b like this.
  11. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

this is a corker

12. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Probably the best band ever!

13. Dooby

Dooby mince

I used to be fond of Dreamers' Ball

14. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

RIP to the greatest rock'n'roll frontman and performer that ever graced a stage. You're still greatly missed and there'll truly never be another one like him:

15. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

16. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

Me neither. Who cares about "cool"? The only time I'm "cool" is when it's snowing....

What a great track though. Could you even get away with all those multi-tracked harmonies nowadays without the music papers etc. taking the piss?

Thanks to everyone else who's replied, especially those who've included links. There's some other good ones too, like "Stormtrooper in Stilettoes".

Cheers,

- MP.

17. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

I was left at home for live aid as a spotty teen. i had all the tellys on in the house on full wack, the lights out and fucking watched on in awe at the blokes performance. i'd find it hard to accept people didn't at least begrudging accept he was on fire that night

I've only ever seen some one with his stage presence once before and that was bizarrely a bar band singer in Malaysia who utterly transfixed me

I'm off to dig out some radical dancd faction to cleanse my soul Lol

18. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Just as well, you'd have looked a bit weird with the lights on at 6 on a summer evening tbh.

19. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

The best frontman ever.

I've been lucky enough over the years to have worked with a lot of the Queen crew, from tour band members to their instrument techs to their tour manager to Freddie's "gardener". With most crews there will always be a bit of backchat, some taking the piss, some moaning about who you work for. But I have never, ever, heard a single bad word about him. Every single person I've spoken to had nothing but good words about him.

He was utterly unique and the world is poorer for his passing.

As to the best track, no contest really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5aiR5xZArs

scifisam likes this.
  20. beesonthewhatnow

21. beesonthewhatnow

22. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Brian Mays guitar playing always makes me want to puke.
    Freddie Mercury's voice has no soul whatsover.
    Queen are the anti of everything thats great about rock'n'roll.

Sea Star likes this.
  23. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I dropped Just A Kind of Magic at a shitty wedding disco once it set the dancefloor on fire! I still dont understand why or how.

I remember staying at my uncles house as a kid - he loved his hifi and used to turn the treble up to +8 and the bass to -6 the nutter, and he loved a bit of Queen, and as an impressionable 10 year old We Will Rock You sounded pretty damb amazing - though very tinny :D

24. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

My daughter and her friends all like Queen. I dumped a load of music onto her ipod that I thought she might like, and, when they put it on the dock thing, they often sing along to the Queen songs, and they all knew who Freddie Mercury was.

I could actually see that working really well. I'm not certain he could play the serious bits, but maybe.

25. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i used to like Crocodile Rock by Elton John when i was 8 and used to run around to it. Probably in a circle.

26. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

As for a favourite... Um, I know it's cliched, but I do really like 'The Show Must Go On.' It's a great song in itself, and I really like that Mercury recorded and intended it to mean exactly what the title says. There's nothing lyrically complex in the song because there's really nothing complex about saying that the show must go on.

It also reminds me of being at a party the night we all heard about Freddie Mercury's death and several people were actually crying - having heard the news and being sixteen and drunk and over-emotional, it could have been a downer - and then they got up and danced because they actually thought 'the show must go on.' Like I said, cliched, simple too, but it worked - mourn and all that, but get on with everything else anyway. Bet it's been used at loads of funerals since then.

27. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

i used to think they went off the boil in the 80s, but have revised my opinion in recent years. all their albums are stuffed full of turkeys, from whatever era - and the 80s album (apart from perhaps the miracle, which is total bollocks) have as many pearls amongst the shite as any of the 70s output.

28. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

they never did subtlety tbf. if a queen song had a message, you'd be bludgeoned round the head with it.

29. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Another one bites the dust and Under Pressure are both :cool:

Sea Star likes this.
  30. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

I never really got Queen, the music never got through to me, seemed like to theatrical to be taken seriously.