10 years since 7/7 bombings

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by marty21, Jul 7, 2015.

1. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Surprised there isn't a thread on the 10 year anniversary. On the day I was working in Hackney so walked to work. Mrs21 was on her way to see her dad in Lincolnshire and passed through Kings X shortly before the bomb. I didn't know where she was for several hours as there was no phone coverage , I don't think she had a mobile at the time. She spent about 8 hours getting from Kings X to Peterborough and then back again . There was an urban thread of course which does show the confusion and chaos of the day.

A380, Hollis, stethoscope and 7 others like this.
  2. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

We have started doing a scheme of work with year nine (13&14 year olds) on 7/7. Their knowledge is patchy, which considering their age is unsurprising, maybe... but they're londoners... a good two thirds of their parents/carers were (I estimate) living here at the time.

Then again... they know much more about it than Irish terrorism. I suspect because the narrative of terrorism now seems exclusively to be Islamist extremists... the past is another world, for kids.

3. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Anyway, I got sidetracked. One of our lessons is on creating monologues, and all the drama teachers delivering it give an example based upon badgerkitten's blog from the day after.

Urban 75 -> shaping the education of the yoots.

4. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

I recall some woman in work kicking off that there was no food left in the work Café as everyone eat in that day and watched the rolling news coverage. what a cunt she was.

Greebo and Maharani like this.
  5. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I was in Moscow with some friends, flicked on bbc news and we were just confused. We were flying back that evening. Couldn't get anyone on the phones. It was obviously horrendous for people here but it was pretty shitty now knowing anything aside from the bbc coverage.

Flew back into Gatwick expecting heightened security and the terminal was like a ghost town. It was a weird day.

Thoughts go out to those who were murdered and their families.

Greebo likes this.
  6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I feel far more discombobulated than I expected.

I finished my night shift at 7am and went to bed at 8. At midday derv woke me up and told me there had been bombs and work had rung for me to go in.

I actually have a complete blank about it all unfolding. The fact that I slept through the first few hours has always made me feel odd and disconnected.

I got a lift to Lambeth North with my dad and walked round the corner to the LAS HQ ... The entirety of Waterloo road was full of ambulances, their contents and kit strewn around the pavements. It was eerie.

I went up to the smoking deck on the roof for a cigarette before I went into the control room. The canteen was full of half eaten discarded lunches, silent, filthy people in a multitude of uniforms (out of counties ambulance staff, mountain rescue, Red Cross, St. John's etc) just sitting, recovering. Most of the acute patients were now out of the trains, some paramedics spent hours working on single patients.

I went onto the balcony and one of my motorbike paramedics was there, he'd just got out of the tunnel at Aldwych. The smell ... I will never forget the smell, soot and sweat and blood and fear and grease.

I think by that point the full horror of what was happening had dawned on me.

I went into the control room and spent the next few hours answering 999 calls, a mixture of confused and injured people (one guy I remember walked from Tavistock Square to Battersea where he walked into a pub, he was badly injured and they rang him an ambulance. He couldn't really answer why he'd walked so far), people ringing for shit reasons (the first and last time I've said 'have you turned on the TV? We have no ambulances') and relatives and friends desperately trying to find loved ones. That was harrowing, the mobile phone signal had been off for hours and people were desperate. We had no information. Sometimes I just let them cry.

I have never been prouder of my job, or my colleagues.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

That must have taken some time to get over. Were you offered or did you receive any counselling after?

8. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

yes, we had hot debriefs at Millwall FC that evening and the next day, and several group sessions later on.

I left the ambulance service at Christmas and I really wish today that I was back with them. The only people who understand are those who were next to me.

A380, BigMoaner, Greebo and 4 others like this.
  9. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

I got to my desk on upper Street just after 9am off the vic line, when word started to spread I realised I went through kings x mere minutes before the explosion on the piccadilly line.

It was an incredibly strange day, oddly felt calmer than 9/11 when I was working in the West end and rumours of planes heading for Heathrow etc. Then the whole office was in the boardroom watching the horror unfold on sky news until we got sent home

On 7/7 we all got sent home at lunch and I walked with a colleague back to south of the river and I assume I got a bus home to croxted Road but I can't remember that part if I am honest.

Big respect to everyone who dealt with the aftermath that day and probably still doing so today some of them.

Greebo and Badger Kitten like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i was up at the g8, it was a beautiful sunny day. i was on the bus into edinburgh when a mate texted me, saying something had happened in london. so i contacted my flat mate, who was at the time something to do with railways, who told me there'd been a power surge. it all seems quite bizarre in retrospect that this was ever, however briefly, believed by anyone! it was a very strange day where the militancy and anger of the day before gave way to confusion about what had happened in london and concern for people we knew, as well as horror that what happened happened. as some of you might recall i posted about the g8 at the time, i'll see if i can dig anything out. but i went to the camp at stirling and it was strange seeing the fight knocked out of people, like they'd been punched in the stomach by the news. the drip-drip of information just added to the horror of the day, you just knew it was going to get worse and worse.

11. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Blimey wiskey

I was in the City and suddenly it became utterly silent. No cars, no traffic. I was right near Ludgate Circus and the traffic lights were turning green, then red, then green again and not a single vehicle passed. It was eerie.

I don't think we did any work that day really, we were just trying to figure out what the hell had gone on. I have 7/7 to thank for my finding urban because I came across badgerkitten's account on here. I had to go and buy some new shoes to walk home. I still have them. I didn't go home - I went to my sister's - I needed to be with someone I loved.

miss direct, ebonics, kittyP and 4 others like this.
  12. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

I was 200 miles away, following events on TV and the internet. Most of the news sites were creaking under the strain by mid-morning and u75 was as good a source of information as anywhere. Looking back at the big thread covering events as they unfolded there were people offering to try and contact other posters' loved ones who couldn't be located, offering accommodation to those stranded in London, arranging meet-ups and group walks home whilst the public transport was out. These boards were at their very best that day IMHO.

dessiato, ebonics, moomoo and 5 others like this.
  13. harpo

harpo Listening to Radio Jackie

I woke up late with a bit of a hangover and hurried out of the house to try to get on the tube at Old St, where I lived then. It was quite obvious something was wrong, buses lined up at Old St roundabout having been told to go no further and people were milling everywhere. There were rumours of a power surge but I don't know if anyone believed it. So I came back home and onto Urban, which was the only information source running reliably, and watched the truth unfold. Horrible day.

Greebo likes this.
  14. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I was working for Amnesty International at the time. On that day there was a memorial service we were all due to attend for Peter Benenson, the founder of Amnesty, who had died a few months beforehand. The service was at St Martin's in the Fields and then we were due to undertake an action in Trafalgar Square after.

I got the bus into town as there was something on the radio just before I left about a power surge causing an explosion on the tube. All seemed normal on the bus until we got kicked off at Whitehall by a driver who had been told he wasn't allowed to go any further but didn't know what was going on. So I just walked up. People seemed to be walking in the opposite direction but I didn't really think much of it. It was only when I got to the church that some people seemed to know that something weird was going on.

The service carried on as normal, although many people didn't get there, and amongst the tributes was Annie Lennox singing 'Redemption Song' whilst playing the piano solo. All you could hear in the background was sirens. It was both beautiful, eerie and (in retrospect) incredibly poignant.

I then spent the next hour or two after the service trying to track down colleagues and also find ways for them to get back home or to the office if that wasn't possible. It was only after that when I started to walk home to Brixton that my Mum managed to get through to me and that I realised the full horror of what was going on.

Greebo likes this.
  15. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I was working near Hyde Park at the time and was a platform waiting for a Piccadilly line train that never came. We were there for a while until we were told there was a technical fault I think and herded out of the station. Wasn't until I got to work that I found out what had happened, which then led to hours of frantic calls trying to reach all my friends and to ring my family so they knew I was ok. I'll never forget my gran not even realising I lived in London bless her.

They let us leave before lunch and I walked to Vauxhall to try and get a bus. So quiet everywhere and lots of people didn't want to get on a bus. Think my friend managed to get on a train as far as West Norwood.

ebonics and Greebo like this.
  16. treefrog

treefrog Tauiwi

I spent some time this afternoon reading the urban thread from that day. Seeing my panicky wee squeaks on that thread (I was working in Old Street at the time) as we all tried to find each other and check in makes it seem much more recent than ten years ago.

I remember walking from my office up to Angel cause a few urbs were meeting in a pub there (we didn't have a good idea what to do so it made some kind of sense) and coming across taped-off areas with police and ambo and TV crews and it all feeling very distant and remote, like I was seeing it all in the third person. I also remember Mrs Magpie telling me not to worry when we were all in the pub that night (The Effra IIRC, fuck knows how I got back to Brixton!), that she'd been through heaps of stuff like this back in the days of the IRA and that we'd all be fine.

ddraig and Greebo like this.
  17. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I got the train to Liverpool Street and walked to work through the city to Waterloo as usual.

I think I pieced together what was happening from Urban75 and some other online forums because the news sites kept crashing or weren't quite as up to date. Trying to find out if friends were OK - the mobile network went down...

I walked all the way back home from Waterloo to Stoke Newington (via Brick Lane cos I got lost).

Greebo and Pickman's model like this.
  18. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Yep, someone off urban did offer to drive to Peterborough and pick mrs21 up if she couldn't get back to London :cool: I was planning on driving anywhere to pick her up but somehow she managed to get back.

ddraig, Roadkill, Greebo and 2 others like this.
  19. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

I was at Heathrow Airport with my now husband, about to move to South Korea with him for a year. My dad came to the airport to say good bye and then was going to work. When I found out something had happened I couldn't recall whether he was taking the underground into London that day or not. It wasn't until we all boarded the plane that the news started spreading through the crowd; no one wanted to turn their mobiles off as we were all trying to get through to people to see if they were OK.

Our journey was transferring through Amsterdam so when we got into the terminal I was able to call my dad and learn that he was OK. Then me and Mr Yu sat in a bar in Schiphol airport watching the news in shock until our plane for Seoul was ready to board. Once we were in Korea it was like a dream, it felt so unreal to be suddenly on the other side of the world from this awful event.

Greebo likes this.
  20. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I remember thinking at the time how it could have been alot worse, think of the Madrid rail bombings for example.
    It certainly left London very tense for a while. Who can forget Ken Livingstone's speech in Trafalgar square? He was born to make it.

Sadly it seems that the possibility of something else happening is even higher now especially after Tunisia.

21. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I worked for a Lambeth mental health crisis team and was at work on the day. We mostly spent the day in contact with our liaison colleagues in A&E ensuring we were keeping them as clear of "our" clients as possible so they could get on with saving lives. My main memory is of the sirens, the constant sirens around Waterloo and heading up into the city, then the thousands of people walking back through south London to get home.

We helped staff one of the crisis centres for those who had been involved for a few weeks afterwards. Obviously I won't share the details of that but it remains one of the proudest and most important things I feel I have done in my career.

wiskey later that year I started working at Tommies A&E albeit in a mental health role and I had so much respect for my colleagues both in the hospital and in LAS and their experiences. I really miss working in that environment, nothing I've done since has felt as vital, or had the same level of frantic teamwork and camaraderie. I have no idea what it would have been like to work that day in your job, but I can really understand the desire to be in London with colleagues today.

stethoscope, ddraig, wiskey and 7 others like this.
  22. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow cooking expert and general daft apeth

I was working in Manchester at the time so not directly affected, but remember mass cancellations of planned meetings in London - for weeks afterwards - as people were clearly spooked.

I imagine the mood was similar to the IRA bomb in Manchester back in 1996, which although thankfully no-one was killed, it unnerved the city.

It does make you wonder when and where the next one will be. :(

23. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I worked in King's Cross at the time but never made it to work that day. Turned back at Stockwell because of the "power surge". Saw the Metro on the Friday with Shahara Islam pictured on the front page who I had daily contact with when doing the banking for work & it really brought it home. My sister's brother in law was injured on the bus & she is at St Pauls today. For the next few days it was really sad to see all the posters of the missing between King's Cross & Euston.

It pisses me off that the news say 52 people died that day. 56 people died 52 were murdered four were idiotic suicide bombers. R.I.P to those that were murdered.

24. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

I was working on Fenchurch Street at the time. Just down from Aldgate. I remember all morning the media saying it was caused by an electrical surge on the tube, only when the pictures of the bus came across the news did it become obvious what was happening.

One poor/lucky girl in our office was on the Piccadilly line train. To exit the train they had to walk through the carridge where the bomb had gone off and see the full horror it had caused. She was inconsolable so we put her in a cab and sent her home. She never came back to work. :(

25. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I was temping just around the corner from Edgware Rd tube station, I had an 8am start so was already in the office when a colleague came in and said there was something going on with the tube..

26. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I didn't live in London at the time. But I was here visiting a friend, and was trying to get from Archway to Kings X that morning.
    I decided to walk, because it was a nice day, and I was in no rush. I am glad I did.

I got to kings cross and people covered in soot were emerging from the station. Men with guns were blocking off the roads. I had no idea what was going on.

I gave up on getting a train to Leeds, and tried to walk to Victoria to look at busses. I saw helicopters taking off from near buckingham palace. I watched some news in a TV shop window.

At victoria I listened to a megabus drive telling a norwegian man - "No busses - bomb - boom - everyone dead".

The streets were full of confused tourists dragging huge suit cases.

I couldn't call anyone. The network was too busy.
    I went to the pub. It was very busy.

Greebo likes this.
  27. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

28. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I was trying to remember this morning how I got to work. There was some disruption on the trains so I didn't go from Carshalton, where we were living at the time, so I think I went to Morden and got the Northern line then changed to the Victoria but everyone had to get off the tube at Vauxhall when they were announcing it was a power surge.

I ended up on a 24 bus, I think I got to Victoria somehow, and as we were passing through Trafalgar Square was when people starting hearing via text messages about the bombs. Some got off the bus, I stayed on, got to work and then we all followed the news reports until we were sent home early. Walked to Victoria and went home.

It was a strange, unreal, sad day.

29. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Ken's speech was great.

I think that is only part of it. Does anyone have the whole speech?

stethoscope, kittyP, Plumdaff and 4 others like this.
  30. Ken's speech was bang on the money.

I didn't take the tube to work, but a woman in my office was on the Aldgate train, she was fine. Well, physically unharmed.
    The phones going down, both mobiles and landlines was a fucker and really increased the fear for so many people.
    Dreadful day.
    London bounced back and at the Olympics did something that I cannot imagine any other city doing:

Fuck you arseholes, you will not make us hate our neighbours.

A380, Greebo and BigMoaner like this.