£25 to go up The Shard

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I went for breakfast. Belgian waffle and a coffee for a tenner. Worth it for the view.

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan MEGA WICKED & CRUCIAL

It would be cheaper for a bunch of us to hire a balloon instead.

BTW it is £100 to go up The Shard if you don't order in advance

Yes, that's £100

One hundred pounds

3. Crispy

No, it's £30, but you can skip the queue for £100

4. doddles

doddles Appreciates the good eggs

The Shaft. Giving something to London.

Greebo likes this.
  5. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

do u need to book or can u just turn up? can imagine it getting full up especially at night with the great view

6. Crispy

Just turn up, but they'll turn you away if it's full.

thriller likes this.
  7. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

For the shard duh!! :facepalm: I'm not explaining this anymore. If you people don't watch brilliant childrens films its not my fault! :mad:

Remus Harbank, Greebo and Thraex like this.
  8. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

On the news? This was known about ages ago.
    Why are you so angry about it? It's their gaff, they can charge what they like. If the numbers are low watch the price come tumbling down - it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon though; first two days are sold out.

thriller likes this.
  9. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

I'm old. I don't remember ages ago :p

Stop being so reasonable

Greebo likes this.
  10. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

They have been known to be a bit weird about telling people they're full when they're not. When I went there, about midnight on a Saturday, they told us it was 'at capacity', which I would have taken to mean we didn't look the part except that they said we could go to the neighbouring place the floor below. This turned out to be a spectacularly tacky Japanese/Brazilian bar/restaurant thing, which even had a large outdoor terrace, albeit not facing to best views. We bought a drink so we could feel proper, but frankly it was big and busy enough that we could have had a good wander round and gawp at the view without buying anything.

From that place there was a staircase going up to what we assumed was the Duck & Waffle, which was guarded by a woman who said that she didn't know what was up the staircase, but that it was closed and we couldn't go there. However, after finishing our drinks we decided to go up to the next floor in the lift anyway, only to discover that it was not only open, but almost empty. In spite of this, the group in front of us were given given lots of umming and arring about whether they could get a table without a booking - we got lucky, for whatever reason, and were seated without any fuss. By then it had been about an hour since we'd been told it was full, but I really can't see it going from full to capacity (including the bar) to nearly empty in that time. Very odd. I read a review in the Standard that mentioned a similar thing.

Food was pretty good. We only wanted a snack, so shared the eponymous Duck and Waffle plus a couple of smaller bits. Appart from the £6 beer, it wasn't really any pricier than you'd expect from a similar sort of place at ground level. The fact it was about 1:30am and neither closing nor at all busy was also rather a treat for London. It's supposedly open 24/7 - I'd kind of like to go at about 3am on a Wednesday, for the strangeness.

RaverDrew and Greebo like this.
  11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

"I'd kind of like to go at about 3am on a Wednesday, for the strangeness."

*likes*

RaverDrew and George & Bill like this.
  12. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

*bump*

Can you take dogs up the Shard?

13. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Dunno about the shard but It's against the law to take them up the oxo tower.

Maggot, neonwilderness, pesh and 4 others like this.
  14. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

:hmm::eek::D