1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite Solar System facts

Discussion in 'science and environment' started by Lord Camomile, Apr 10, 2012.

1. xes

xes F.O.A.D

I live in this solar system. :) :cool:

2. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

the moon is moving away from the earth by just under 4 cm a year.

space 1999 was set on the moon

Space, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

3. El Jugador

El Jugador will leave bed for food

But usually infinity divided by something is still infinity!
    We are still the products of deranged imaginations, but only those of our parents.

4. 2hats

2hats these hands were made for making

The corresponding effect, arising from tidal energy dissipation, for the Earth-Sun system is very small - about 1 micrometre.

However, the Sun is losing mass all the time due to nuclear fusion (E=mc^2). This results in just over 1cm increase in separation each year.

fractionMan likes this.
  5. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

The sun isn't that small, it's just very far away.

6. blairsh

blairsh hamburger time

Couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread so if this has had a mention i apologise.

Jupiter has a magnetic field which spans (about) a million miles from its surface, and if it was a physical structure would be visible from earth.

7. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

[​IMG]

8. 2hats

The Earth's magnetosphere extends at least 1.25 million km (the magnetotail). The Moon passes through it every month, a couple of days either side of full moon.

Jupiter's extends out to over 500 million km. During part of its orbital year, Saturn is inside it.

Uranus' magnetotail is twisted into a corkscrew behind it due to the extreme axial tilt of that planet.

9. blairsh

blairsh hamburger time

and.....?

Apathy and firky like this.
  10. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Your favourite Solar System facts

11. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

it rains petrol on titan :cool:

tbf this is a pre-huygens "fact" so more of a guess than a fact but it's still my favourite :)

12. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

This thread is much better with 2hats on ignore. No one likes a wiki-smart-arse.

13. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

:(

14. wayward bob

just don't light a fag ;)

15. EastEnder

there's no oxygen....

16. 2hats

You've misspelled licks.

fractionMan likes this.
  17. wayward bob

oh yeah :D

poor tits, covered in petrol and now with nicotine withdrawal too :(

18. 2hats

The sound of Titan, recorded on the surface.

e2a: AFAIK the only recording of sound from the surface of another planet, so far.

19. EastEnder

I'm pretty sure they've recorded sound from the surface of Mars.

20. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Nope. They tried, but there was a faulty system that meant they had to turn the experiment off.

21. EastEnder

I stand corrected. They tried to record sound from the surface of Mars.

22. 2hats

It's been tried several times but the Martian curse always seems to strike.

23. wayward bob

the chances of any sound coming from mars are a million to one :(

Mephitic likes this.
  24. El Jugador

El Jugador will leave bed for food

You probably need to pump up the volume

25. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

Mercury and Uranus are buggers to find facts for :mad: Well, facts that can be expanded upon for more than a sentence, but will still interest kids.

26. wayward bob

you've got the heat/cold on mercury yeah? the one side always facing towards the sun cos of the gravity?

27. wayward bob

i can check with kid2 if you like: she got a glow in the dark solar system to hang in her bunk bed for her birthday :D

what age group?

28. Lord Camomile

Yup :) I've just discovered there's a theory that Mercury is actually the core of another planet, gonna look into that and see if I can turn it into something.
    It's a family festival so across the board really, but I suppose I'm aiming for a few years either side of 10. Little worried I've got a bit too technical in places, but hopefully it'll be ok.

29. wayward bob

the kids tell me that uranus is tipped on it's side and it has ice rings :)

30. Lord Camomile

Yup, got both of those :) Good to know I'm at least noting the stuff that everyone else finds interesting too :cool:

It also rotates in the opposite direction to most planets, which caught me out because I thought Venus was the only one that did that.